Colgate

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
LUEngineer

Re: Colgate

Post by LUEngineer » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:20 pm

The real question is do we have freshman & sophomore talent sitting on the bench? At this point we should let them play if there is truly talent there.

If we have no studs from those 2 classes then clearly we have a coaching problem to deal with & a cost reduction with Sterrett taking over the football HC position in addition to AD is in fact appropriate as suggested above.

IPSY1975

Post by IPSY1975 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:54 pm

Joe S could be in his 60s if I am not mistaken

Does he even want the HC job?

If he does I am ok with that

But if close to retirement it might be easier for him to pick up the phone and start a Coaching search
lu90

Post by lu90 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:13 pm

IPSY1975 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:54 pm Joe S could be in his 60s if I am not mistaken

But if close to retirement it might be easier for him to pick up the phone and start a Coaching search
You really want Sterrett to do the next search after this colossal screw up. I'm still not convinced he will concede that this hire was a epic failure just yet. Unless we go 0-11, which is a real possibility, I get this sinking feeling that he is willing to ride it out until the end of Gilmore's contract.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:38 pm

The PL is starting to step it up....

Holy Cross crushed #20 Monmouth 45-15
Fordham is up on CAA Stony Brook 28-14 in 4Q
Lafayette is about to take care of Penn by double-digits

Even Georgetown had over 500 yards of offense against Columbia. Lehigh is SOOO much worse than their peers its past the point of "alarming"....
IPSY1975

Post by IPSY1975 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:29 pm

lu90 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:13 pm
IPSY1975 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:54 pm Joe S could be in his 60s if I am not mistaken

You really want Sterrett to do the next search after this colossal screw up. I'm still not convinced he will concede that this hire was a epic failure just yet. Unless we go 0-11, which is a real possibility, I get this sinking feeling that he is willing to ride it out until the end of Gilmore's contract.
Very good point

I have tremendous respect for Joe as a Lehigh standout player

But unfortunately not a very good HC talent evaluator apparently

Not sure where we go from here..but the Football winning tradition Sterrett started is in serious jeopardy

Should Sterrett resign and we get a new AD? Who knows?

He should admit his mistake..no one is perfect . Maybe he gets a Committee of former players to help
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:31 pm

When is the contract up?
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:37 pm

Giving Sterrett the benefit of the doubt at the moment only because Gilmore could have been last on the list and he was the only one interested. Otherwise, I don’t know why Sterrett hires a coach with a losing record.
LHFtball

Post by LHFtball » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:40 pm

phillychuck wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:10 pm
DF2002 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:57 pm I recognize this may be a hot take and I’m usually not one to advocate burning something to the ground early in someone’s tenure but very clearly Gilmore is not up to the task. Losing is one thing. This is something else. Change leadership and give these kids and the alumni something to hope for.
Could not agree more. I think Gilmore is probably a nice man, but he has no idea how to coach college football, nor did he find coordinators who could help in that regard. Why would anyone want to watch this team? Joe Sterrett has to step up to the plate and make a change. Heck, he'd be a better coach himself.
Nope. Gilmore is not a nice man either. His reputation within the coaching fraternity is well documented. Lehigh is a disaster because this man knows nothing about building culture. In fact, he has destroyed every morsel of culture that existed. Brisson will legitimately never coach D1 football again after this season. In fact, quite possibly not even high school. Feel bad for the alums and players who love this program.
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:25 pm

LHFtball wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:40 pm
phillychuck wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:10 pm
DF2002 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:57 pm I recognize this may be a hot take and I’m usually not one to advocate burning something to the ground early in someone’s tenure but very clearly Gilmore is not up to the task. Losing is one thing. This is something else. Change leadership and give these kids and the alumni something to hope for.
Could not agree more. I think Gilmore is probably a nice man, but he has no idea how to coach college football, nor did he find coordinators who could help in that regard. Why would anyone want to watch this team? Joe Sterrett has to step up to the plate and make a change. Heck, he'd be a better coach himself.
Nope. Gilmore is not a nice man either. His reputation within the coaching fraternity is well documented. Lehigh is a disaster because this man knows nothing about building culture. In fact, he has destroyed every morsel of culture that existed. Brisson will legitimately never coach D1 football again after this season. In fact, quite possibly not even high school. Feel bad for the alums and players who love this program.
If Gilmore’s personal reputation is deserved, all the more reason to make a change now before we potentially lose whatever decent athletes we have. Sterrett needs to act and fast.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:30 pm

What is his recruiting success over the past 2 years? What do we have in the way of a stud recruits other than Garcia?