Yale

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Lehigh74

Re: Yale

Post by Lehigh74 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:53 pm

I’m with you IPSY1975.

Shadow1

Post by Shadow1 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:39 pm

The focus of Lehigh, in recent times, is not competence in Athletics or even Academics. It is turning the University into a leftist monoculture. Hence the major diversion of resources and lack of focus, absence of diverse perspectives, accusatory atmosphere, and inept management.
The Dir. of Athletics and senior administrators are on board with this different direction, and the results speak for themselves and this accounts, to a significant degree, for the decline. Much of the senior “leadership” wallows in their sense of superior morality while defaming the school’s historical constituents as being racists. This has not been a subscription for success as it has sucked the air out of the University’s sense of self.

I This is not a political statement but a statement of reality.
lu90

Post by lu90 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:25 am

Shadow1 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:39 pm The focus of Lehigh, in recent times, is not competence in Athletics or even Academics. It is turning the University into a leftist monoculture. Hence the major diversion of resources and lack of focus, absence of diverse perspectives, accusatory atmosphere, and inept management.
The Dir. of Athletics and senior administrators are on board with this different direction, and the results speak for themselves and this accounts, to a significant degree, for the decline. Much of the senior “leadership” wallows in their sense of superior morality while defaming the school’s historical constituents as being racists. This has not been a subscription for success as it has sucked the air out of the University’s sense of self.

Not political? :roll: I've read less political statements on Parler.

Remember that comment you made when TG was hired about being the right man to lead us back to the "promised land"? Did the "leftist monoculture" divert so many resources, IN 2 YEARS, to turn TG from Knute Rockne into...well...Tom Gilmore? Or could we have just found someone's burner account? If not, sometimes a turd is just a turd and no one is to blame except the dog that dropped it there.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:34 am

Shadow1 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:39 pm The focus of Lehigh, in recent times, is not competence in Athletics or even Academics. It is turning the University into a leftist monoculture. Hence the major diversion of resources and lack of focus, absence of diverse perspectives, accusatory atmosphere, and inept management.

I'm actually "somewhat" prepared to take on this post and do so with profound curiosity to the scope of this moving forward.

So what you're saying is the current culture of Lehigh might not look back on an individual like Asa Packer with great love and respect which from that single point can upset the entire apple cart of institutional focus and identity? Instead of painting Asa as a white man of privilege and power I would suggest those on South Mountain maintain a proper perspective of the level of opportunity he and other industrialists brought to the poor, downtrodden immigrant base of the Lehigh Valley (and other cities/regions throughout the country).Many of those individuals packed Taylor Stadium/Gym after opting to part way with their HARD earned money. These are also parents and grandparents of past, present and HOPEFULLY future Lehigh students. A person of reasonable, or better, proper perspective does not need to apply revisionist history to prove a point of inevitable misguidance/failure. I'd like to think your post is based on periphery knowledge of CRT and other hot button academic topics rather than a definitive statement of substantiated fact. Just from my experience, naturally diverse institutions eliminate any drastic ideology from dominating.

If Lehigh wants to be a great university at least have a "solid" athletic department. If I'm a driven, motivated scholar-athlete I'm not impressed by an institution who's getting spanked in athletic competition and academic pedigree rankings.

Lehigh is a national university located in a metro area approaching a million people; NYC and Philly are down the road. You don't have to try to hard to find individuals who can sustain an institution which excels in all endeavors. Athletics is simply one AWESOME way to connect with the community and the region!

This brings me to a final comment, I get the impression you wouldn't recommend Lehigh's Ed Leadership (Higher-Ed) PhD program?
Last edited by Go Lehigh TU Owl on Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:40 am

lu90 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:25 am

Not political? :roll: I've read less political statements on Parler.

Remember that comment you made when TG was hired about being the right man to lead us back to the "promised land"? Did the "leftist monoculture" divert so many resources, IN 2 YEARS, to turn TG from Knute Rockne into...well...Tom Gilmore? Or could we have just found someone's burner account? If not, sometimes a turd is just a turd and no one is to blame except the dog that dropped it there.
Honestly, I didn't take it as political. Rather a concern over the current state of academia/athletics at far too many institutions. A just post but one filled with slippery slopes and loaded/complex avenues of discourse.

Generally speaking, it's a lot easier to get all patrons onboard with your take! Gilmore has got to go! And if a certain culture that fails to promote athletic success and pride does not exist then the uprooting will be deeper and bit more complex....

BTW, if you hear of any openings for the 22-23 academic/athletic year, let me know... ;) 8-)
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:39 am

This board has become a microcosm of society's ills: taking our eyes off the real issue.

Instead of focusing on the problem -- a football team (and others, like hoops) that's underperformed for years -- some have focused on how political correctness and CRT have crippled our institution and nation.

Sorry, I don't see the connection -- and the PC/CRT discussion is going at almost every institution; putting fear into liberals and conservatives.

PC/CRT has nothing to do with the nation's debt limit, continued deficit spending, etc. (BTW: The communists are only partly to blame for this ... the supposed anti-communists have borrowed freely, too.)

The issue folks on this board should be concerned about/focused on is Lehigh has lost 12 in a row and hasn't scored a TD in five games. That's a football issue, period. Let's stick to it.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:54 am

Sundayamqb wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:39 am This board has become a microcosm of society's ills: taking our eyes off the real issue.

Instead of focusing on the problem -- a football team (and others, like hoops) that's underperformed for years -- some have focused on how political correctness and CRT have crippled our institution and nation.

Sorry, I don't see the connection -- and the PC/CRT discussion is going at almost every institution; putting fear into liberals and conservatives.

PC/CRT has nothing to do with the nation's debt limit, continued deficit spending, etc. (BTW: The communists are only partly to blame for this ... the supposed anti-communists have borrowed freely, too.)

The issue folks on this board should be concerned about/focused on is Lehigh has lost 12 in a row and hasn't scored a TD in five games. That's a football issue, period. Let's stick to it.
I agree!

Focus on re-establishing a winning, well respected athletic culture! The traditionally successful football program (and hoops in 2012) can provide a tremendous amount of positive exposure for the university. Get the right people in place to ensure it happens. Gilmore for one certainly is not a proper piece. More importantly, Sterrett seems lost as well.

I'm watching EWU vs Montana right now on ESPN2. Highly entertaining FCS football and a great atmosphere in Cheney despite a modest 10k fans or so....
lu90

Post by lu90 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:03 am

Sundayamqb wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:39 am This board has become a microcosm of society's ills: taking our eyes off the real issue.

Most of the above posts sound good. Main point is Gilmore needs to go now before more damage is done. Brisson should probably follow him as well. Unfortunately, just like when he was hired Sterrett may be the only one who believes he should have this job and he does the hiring/firing.
HFO

Post by HFO » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:36 am

LEHIGH over past 3 Presidents has declined period. It in nowhere the esteem or ability to attract top tier faculty it had pre 1965. In my era of late 1940s to 1950, it was on par with best engineering, science and business schools in the country at both undergraduate and graduate level.

Could have gone route of a Chicago or Carnegie Mellon, but has remained overly focused on residential undergraduate. Level of research dollars and research output of faculty has not maintained competitive levels.

Yes. It does start at Top. Need more accomplished business, research and alumni people on Board with a real passion for Lehigh. Quality of President search for past 3 have been mediocre. Change executive search firms. Bloated head counts in support staff.

Lehigh has become mediocre at best
QS Global Lehigh University's Graduate School Rankings
Unranked. in Best Business Schools.
#41. in Part-time MBA (tie)
#51. in Best Education Schools (tie)
#66. in Best Engineering Schools (tie) ...
#218. in Biological Sciences (tie)
#122. in Chemistry (tie)
#102. in Computer Science (tie)
#64. in Earth Sciences (tie).

If Lehigh is going to set a new course, it has to be in research and graduate education. Though it's been a longtime since Lehigh was a Top 10 engineering program, it surely once was one of the best when I entered Lehigh at age 16 in 1942 and then served in WWII, grad in 1950, Korean War and the medical school.

Sterrett is no longer the guy. Gilmore is most definitely not the guy. Maybe the new President is the guy, or maybe he is just another lost, inept, woke like the last guy.

Lehigh alumni need to exert more control over university. Demand more seats on Board of Trustees by Lehigh Alumni Association votes.

Lehigh should have given an offer to Mitch Daniels that he couldn't refuse. That guy knows how to run a university and increase its esteem while keeping costs flat for parents.

Lehigh unfortunately has been lost since Likens left. A lot of window dressing, but substance of competitive output is decreasing.

Looks already like this College of Health Population is on life support.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:40 am

Asa Packer, a white cisgendered male, used the power of the patriarchy to enrich himself on the backs of the people who slaved away establishing his railroad and who also were denied health insurance and even a living wage. He used this wealth to establish a leadership position in the racist white non-diverse northern politics.
Later, he established a university (on the former land of indigenous peoples) to further white male power structure in the American north.
Furthermore, blah blah blah - blah.

When you write checks to Lehigh these days you are furthering this horseshit. Go look at how many people in the administration occupy positions a that have something to do with race, gender, or diversity.

Btw, students at Lehigh don’t go to athletic events at Lehigh anymore. Why? Because they are too busy checking their texts and social media accounts and could care less about the sports. If they were the type of kids full of school spirit they would pick a school that has some (think big and public and south). So if the garden variety Lehigh student doesn’t care about sports, how long do you think sporting traditions will last?