Yale

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Re: Yale

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:56 am

HFO wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:36 am LEHIGH over past 3 Presidents has declined period. It in nowhere the esteem or ability to attract top tier faculty it had pre 1965. In my era of late 1940s to 1950, it was on par with best engineering, science and business schools in the country at both undergraduate and graduate level.

Could have gone route of a Chicago or Carnegie Mellon, but has remained overly focused on residential undergraduate. Level of research dollars and research output of faculty has not maintained competitive levels.

Yes. It does start at Top. Need more accomplished business, research and alumni people on Board with a real passion for Lehigh. Quality of President search for past 3 have been mediocre. Change executive search firms. Bloated head counts in support staff.

Lehigh has become mediocre at best
QS Global Lehigh University's Graduate School Rankings
Unranked. in Best Business Schools.
#41. in Part-time MBA (tie)
#51. in Best Education Schools (tie)
#66. in Best Engineering Schools (tie) ...
#218. in Biological Sciences (tie)
#122. in Chemistry (tie)
#102. in Computer Science (tie)
#64. in Earth Sciences (tie).

If Lehigh is going to set a new course, it has to be in research and graduate education. Though it's been a longtime since Lehigh was a Top 10 engineering program, it surely once was one of the best when I entered Lehigh at age 16 in 1942 and then served in WWII, grad in 1950, Korean War and the medical school.

Sterrett is no longer the guy. Gilmore is most definitely not the guy. Maybe the new President is the guy, or maybe he is just another lost, inept, woke like the last guy.

Lehigh alumni need to exert more control over university. Demand more seats on Board of Trustees by Lehigh Alumni Association votes.

Lehigh should have given an offer to Mitch Daniels that he couldn't refuse. That guy knows how to run a university and increase its esteem while keeping costs flat for parents.

Lehigh unfortunately has been lost since Likens left. A lot of window dressing, but substance of competitive output is decreasing.

Looks already like this College of Health Population is on life support.
Wow! You have all my respect! Someone of your "experience" relating to the history of the university and its connection to the Lehigh Valley is profound! :o :D

How many Lehigh-Lafayette games have you attended?

StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:46 am

You all are doing a massive favor to Gilmore by making this conversation about more than the fact that his team has lost 12 straight and is 0-5 this season without a TD. That's no comment on the veracity of your macro points, just that it distracts from the fact that Gilmore himself is very clearly underperforming. It was an uninspired hire from the start (could you imagine Ohio State hiring a coach who had just been fired midseason by Rutgers? That's this Big Ten equivalent of what Sterrett did), and is only looking worse over time.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:22 pm

HFO wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:36 am LEHIGH over past 3 Presidents has declined period. It in nowhere the esteem or ability to attract top tier faculty it had pre 1965. In my era of late 1940s to 1950, it was on par with best engineering, science and business schools in the country at both undergraduate and graduate level.

Could have gone route of a Chicago or Carnegie Mellon, but has remained overly focused on residential undergraduate. Level of research dollars and research output of faculty has not maintained competitive levels.

Yes. It does start at Top. Need more accomplished business, research and alumni people on Board with a real passion for Lehigh. Quality of President search for past 3 have been mediocre. Change executive search firms. Bloated head counts in support staff.

Lehigh has become mediocre at best
QS Global Lehigh University's Graduate School Rankings
Unranked. in Best Business Schools.
#41. in Part-time MBA (tie)
#51. in Best Education Schools (tie)
#66. in Best Engineering Schools (tie) ...
#218. in Biological Sciences (tie)
#122. in Chemistry (tie)
#102. in Computer Science (tie)
#64. in Earth Sciences (tie).

If Lehigh is going to set a new course, it has to be in research and graduate education. Though it's been a longtime since Lehigh was a Top 10 engineering program, it surely once was one of the best when I entered Lehigh at age 16 in 1942 and then served in WWII, grad in 1950, Korean War and the medical school.

Sterrett is no longer the guy. Gilmore is most definitely not the guy. Maybe the new President is the guy, or maybe he is just another lost, inept, woke like the last guy.

Lehigh alumni need to exert more control over university. Demand more seats on Board of Trustees by Lehigh Alumni Association votes.

Lehigh should have given an offer to Mitch Daniels that he couldn't refuse. That guy knows how to run a university and increase its esteem while keeping costs flat for parents.

Lehigh unfortunately has been lost since Likens left. A lot of window dressing, but substance of competitive output is decreasing.

Looks already like this College of Health Population is on life support.
We are of completely different generations, but you are so right!

And Mitch Daniels is THE MAN. He'd have been a great prez.

Can you imagine Lehigh being the nation's elite online academic institution? Sure beats 12 losses in a row in football ...

Today I was looking back on the football teams we played in the 1950s and the attendance. If anyone wants details, let me know.

Why was attendance so great then against such teams as Carnegie Tech, Muhlenberg, NYU etc., when LU had half as many students? I'm not knocking the academic bona fides of the teams we play now, but I'd rather see LU academics up there with Carnegie Mellon, MIT, etc. We HAVE slipped and not planned for the future.

Sorry to get off the point of football, but sometimes it helps to know where you came from.
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:31 pm

What are the odds there is some announcement this week regarding a change in leadership for this team?
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:42 pm

No announcement likely with Gilmore going up against his alms mater on Saturday. They are appearing to be among the weakest Ivy schools. He gets at least one more week & fortunately it is an away game so alums don’t have to endure another depressing day at Goodman.

The question remains as to the quality of his freshman & Sophomore recruits. Any all-state quality kids among those other than Garcia?
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:49 am

DF2002 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:31 pm What are the odds there is some announcement this week regarding a change in leadership for this team?
Hate to disappoint folks here on the forum, but no way any changes take place. The first and most obvious to go would be Brisson but probably nobody else on a thin staff that could even call a game. By far, the most incompetent OC in history of Lehigh Football. The numbers support that fact.

Gilmore will survive. My bet is that he removes OC after season and gets another year to "tighten things up" as per his presser Saturday. Imagine being outscored 174-9 in 5 games and having the audacity to say "we just need to tighten things up". How about take some accountability...try this next time, "This team is underperforming and it is my responsibility to fix it. These kids are working hard and we are failing them as coaches. We have to be better and if we are not, I wouldn't expect to be here for long."

Wants the kids to be accountable? Starts at the top.
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:09 am

LUFAN wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:49 am
DF2002 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:31 pm What are the odds there is some announcement this week regarding a change in leadership for this team?
Hate to disappoint folks here on the forum, but no way any changes take place. The first and most obvious to go would be Brisson but probably nobody else on a thin staff that could even call a game. By far, the most incompetent OC in history of Lehigh Football. The numbers support that fact.

Gilmore will survive. My bet is that he removes OC after season and gets another year to "tighten things up" as per his presser Saturday. Imagine being outscored 174-9 in 5 games and having the audacity to say "we just need to tighten things up". How about take some accountability...try this next time, "This team is underperforming and it is my responsibility to fix it. These kids are working hard and we are failing them as coaches. We have to be better and if we are not, I wouldn't expect to be here for long."

I believe you. I just don’t get it. If the admin is going to be this indifferent to the team, why have one.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:21 am

DF2002 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:09 am
LUFAN wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:49 am
Hate to disappoint folks here on the forum, but no way any changes take place. The first and most obvious to go would be Brisson but probably nobody else on a thin staff that could even call a game. By far, the most incompetent OC in the history of Lehigh Football. The numbers support that fact.

Gilmore will survive. My bet is that he removes OC after season and gets another year to "tighten things up" as per his presser Saturday. Imagine being outscored 174-9 in 5 games and having the audacity to say "we just need to tighten things up". How about taking some accountability...try this next time, "This team is underperforming and it is my responsibility to fix it. These kids are working hard and we are failing them as coaches. We have to be better and if we are not, I wouldn't expect to be here for long."

I believe you. I just don’t get it. If the admin is going to be this indifferent to the team, why have one.
Agree. That indifference may result in some quality players heading to the transfer portal when the season ends. If Admin acts soon those kids likely stay and look forward to new leadership. I just don't see it. Pride is dangerous.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:44 am

well the silver lining about being this bad is that losing kids to the transfer portal isn't much of an option for them because the talent simply isn't there.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:04 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:44 am well the silver lining about being this bad is that losing kids to the transfer portal isn't much of an option for them because the talent simply isn't there.
What you see on Saturday isn’t a byproduct of talent. There are some very talented kids on this Lehigh team that had many other offers. Poor culture, poor coaching.