Bucknell

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
mookie

Re: Bucknell

Post by mookie » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:59 am

Daunting task ahead facing the coaching genius Dave Cecchini. He's built a powerhouse in less than 4 years so just think what he could do at Lehigh with their considerable resources.

Should be a huge crowd this weekend in Lewisburg.

LUopa

Post by LUopa » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:45 am

espn game day is coming in. One of the epic showdowns in all of college football this year. But seriously, aren't we playing well enough to win the last 3 games. The defense was pretty good!
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:40 pm

If there's something worse than ugly in the world of message board threads, this is it......
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:26 pm

Notes up. 2 deep,if at all reliable,lists all as healthy
. Haffner not mentioned.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:27 am

RichH wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:26 pm Notes up. 2 deep,if at all reliable,lists all as healthy
. Haffner not mentioned.
Long awaited win likely to come Saturday. Statistically both are near bottom of FCS in most categories. Looking at 2-deep, Lehigh actually much more experienced team.

27-7 Hawks
LUopa

Post by LUopa » Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:36 pm

Lehigh hasn't won by more than 7 points since 2018 under AC...if we do pull it out...something like 14-13 may be more like it.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:40 pm

LUopa wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:36 pm Lehigh hasn't won by more than 7 points since 2018 under AC...if we do pull it out...something like 14-13 may be more like it.
17-14 Hawks, unless Cecchini helps spark some special Semptimphelter magic
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:10 am

If we get Snyder and injured OL back , I expect O to score more. 34 -14
lfnadmin

Post by lfnadmin » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:33 am

I completely ran out of time today to finish up the bigger preview for the site, but I still wanted to present something, so I thought I'd talk about things here.

In case folks aren't aware, Bucknell has two QBs listed equally on the depth chart in sophomore Nick Semptimphelter and Ethan Grady. Yes, Lehigh fans, Nick Semptimphelter is the son of a great Lehigh QB in Scott Semptimphelter, whom Bucknell got at QB instead of us. Although Grady and Semp are technically at the same depth chart level, the dramatic temptation for former Lehigh great Dave Cecchini, who caught passes from his dad, must be to beat Lehigh with the son of their former QB. Also, in Bucknell's only win on the year, it was Semptiphelter's 2 TD passes that put away Cornell in the second half after falling behind 10-7.

Lehigh and Bucknell are very similar in the sense that both teams are extremely young and both have had to navigate injuries amongst the losses. Depth has been challenged and Bucknell's two-deep, like Lehigh's, is loaded with underclassmen.

A key element I see in this game is Bucknell's defensive line vs. Lehigh's offensive line. Lehigh's O line has given up a tremendous number of sacks on the season, but Bucknell's front seven have only generated nine sacks. If the Bison are generating a lot of pressure on Perri, Lehigh will be in trouble.

The other key element I see is turnovers. Lehigh's turnover ratio overall is a big minus right now, but if they can go +1, +2 or more that should be a big boost to their chances, especially if they can convert one or two of those to touchdowns instead of field goals and/or empty trips.

Finally - what can I say about finishing. Lehigh and Holy Cross looked like evenly-matched teams last week until the 4th quarter, when everything seemed to fall apart. A similar story played out against Fordham. That's pretty remarkable - and also seems to indicate that maybe a complete effort is hiding here waiting to come out.

To me, the goal of this team is to win this game, win the following game, and then beat Lafayette, pointing things in the right direction this offseason and setting the building blocks for the good times to come. It is in these three egoless games where the hard work of rebuilding finally, hopefully, pays off, and the hope is when one win comes, and the positive energy comes, it will stick around.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:35 am

lfnadmin wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:33 am I completely ran out of time today to finish up the bigger preview for the site, but I still wanted to present something, so I thought I'd talk about things here.

In case folks aren't aware, Bucknell has two QBs listed equally on the depth chart in sophomore Nick Semptimphelter and Ethan Grady. Yes, Lehigh fans, Nick Semptimphelter is the son of a great Lehigh QB in Scott Semptimphelter, whom Bucknell got at QB instead of us. Although Grady and Semp are technically at the same depth chart level, the dramatic temptation for former Lehigh great Dave Cecchini, who caught passes from his dad, must be to beat Lehigh with the son of their former QB. Also, in Bucknell's only win on the year, it was Semptiphelter's 2 TD passes that put away Cornell in the second half after falling behind 10-7.

Lehigh and Bucknell are very similar in the sense that both teams are extremely young and both have had to navigate injuries amongst the losses. Depth has been challenged and Bucknell's two-deep, like Lehigh's, is loaded with underclassmen.

A key element I see in this game is Bucknell's defensive line vs. Lehigh's offensive line. Lehigh's O line has given up a tremendous number of sacks on the season, but Bucknell's front seven have only generated nine sacks. If the Bison are generating a lot of pressure on Perri, Lehigh will be in trouble.

The other key element I see is turnovers. Lehigh's turnover ratio overall is a big minus right now, but if they can go +1, +2 or more that should be a big boost to their chances, especially if they can convert one or two of those to touchdowns instead of field goals and/or empty trips.

Finally - what can I say about finishing. Lehigh and Holy Cross looked like evenly-matched teams last week until the 4th quarter, when everything seemed to fall apart. A similar story played out against Fordham. That's pretty remarkable - and also seems to indicate that maybe a complete effort is hiding here waiting to come out.

To me, the goal of this team is to win this game, win the following game, and then beat Lafayette, pointing things in the right direction this offseason and setting the building blocks for the good times to come. It is in these three egoless games where the hard work of rebuilding finally, hopefully, pays off, and the hope is when one win comes, and the positive energy comes, it will stick around.
Please clarify how Lehigh is so young? Look at the 2-deep:
5 Seniors (6 when Haffner plays)
7 Juniors
8 Sophomores
2 Freshman

I would not characterize that as "young". That is probably very much the norm on many college football teams. There are also seniors, like the career leader in receptions, that are oddly, not starters. The offense is actually not at all "young". When the season began with a Junior QB, it was quite experienced. The defense, the better of the units, is younger...particularly without 34.

Bucknell is much younger and has lost a captain to the portal after an injury. They lost 2 OL to injury. They have different 5th year rules which hurt them post Covid. (ie. Sanders now at Rutgers)

"Rebuilding" does not require a team to lose 15 straight games. Rebuilding does mean a team should rank dead last in offense. Rebuilding should not mean that games are over before they begin. There is no excuse for this year's incompetence. None.

Anyone who supports status quo after this season, regardless of these last three games, is supporting a long period Lehigh Football that does not meet the standards of this storied program. That is not a vote for firing anyone particular, but there must be change.