Bucknell

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
mookie

Re: Bucknell

Post by mookie » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:29 pm

Cecchini is the gift that keeps on giving. In four short years he's taken a decent program straight to the dumps and possibly saved Gilmore's job. Bucknell is the worst coached team I've seen in a long long time.

TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:03 pm

LUFAN wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:35 am
lfnadmin wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:33 am I completely ran out of time today to finish up the bigger preview for the site, but I still wanted to present something, so I thought I'd talk about things here.

In case folks aren't aware, Bucknell has two QBs listed equally on the depth chart in sophomore Nick Semptimphelter and Ethan Grady. Yes, Lehigh fans, Nick Semptimphelter is the son of a great Lehigh QB in Scott Semptimphelter, whom Bucknell got at QB instead of us. Although Grady and Semp are technically at the same depth chart level, the dramatic temptation for former Lehigh great Dave Cecchini, who caught passes from his dad, must be to beat Lehigh with the son of their former QB. Also, in Bucknell's only win on the year, it was Semptiphelter's 2 TD passes that put away Cornell in the second half after falling behind 10-7.

Lehigh and Bucknell are very similar in the sense that both teams are extremely young and both have had to navigate injuries amongst the losses. Depth has been challenged and Bucknell's two-deep, like Lehigh's, is loaded with underclassmen.

A key element I see in this game is Bucknell's defensive line vs. Lehigh's offensive line. Lehigh's O line has given up a tremendous number of sacks on the season, but Bucknell's front seven have only generated nine sacks. If the Bison are generating a lot of pressure on Perri, Lehigh will be in trouble.

The other key element I see is turnovers. Lehigh's turnover ratio overall is a big minus right now, but if they can go +1, +2 or more that should be a big boost to their chances, especially if they can convert one or two of those to touchdowns instead of field goals and/or empty trips.

Finally - what can I say about finishing. Lehigh and Holy Cross looked like evenly-matched teams last week until the 4th quarter, when everything seemed to fall apart. A similar story played out against Fordham. That's pretty remarkable - and also seems to indicate that maybe a complete effort is hiding here waiting to come out.

To me, the goal of this team is to win this game, win the following game, and then beat Lafayette, pointing things in the right direction this offseason and setting the building blocks for the good times to come. It is in these three egoless games where the hard work of rebuilding finally, hopefully, pays off, and the hope is when one win comes, and the positive energy comes, it will stick around.
Please clarify how Lehigh is so young? Look at the 2-deep:
5 Seniors (6 when Haffner plays)
7 Juniors
8 Sophomores
2 Freshman

I would not characterize that as "young". That is probably very much the norm on many college football teams. There are also seniors, like the career leader in receptions, that are oddly, not starters. The offense is actually not at all "young". When the season began with a Junior QB, it was quite experienced. The defense, the better of the units, is younger...particularly without 34.

Bucknell is much younger and has lost a captain to the portal after an injury. They lost 2 OL to injury. They have different 5th year rules which hurt them post Covid. (ie. Sanders now at Rutgers)

"Rebuilding" does not require a team to lose 15 straight games. Rebuilding does mean a team should rank dead last in offense. Rebuilding should not mean that games are over before they begin. There is no excuse for this year's incompetence. None.

Anyone who supports status quo after this season, regardless of these last three games, is supporting a long period Lehigh Football that does not meet the standards of this storied program. That is not a vote for firing anyone particular, but there must be change.
Help me out. I'm trying to find the 2 deep chart or even the starters for the Patriot League teams.

Fordham lists their starters by game

10 Seniors or 5th year
7 juniors
3 sophomores
2 freshmen

Georgetown boggled my mind

17 seniors
5 juniors

Holy Cross

13 seniors
6 juniors
3 sophomores

Can you provide a link for the other 3 schools?
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:33 pm

Just found Colgate

13 Seniors
6 Juniors
3 sophomores

Lafayette

11 Seniors
6 Juniors
4 Sophomores
1 Freshman

Bucknell

4 Seniors
5 Juniors
9 Sophomores
4 Freshmen

That is the only team in the Patriot League younger than Lehigh and the results of today's game shows it.
The disparity gets even worse when compared to the massive Ivy League rosters and the CAA filled with red shirts and 6th years.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:48 pm

Looking at the full 2 deep, including six specialty positions, 56 positions in all, I think there were about 9 seniors (or 5ths) 12 juniors, -- and the other 35 Frosh or Shoph (from memory of this morning)
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:50 pm

After the victory today, the 97 (it looked like about 92 today) Played the Centennial Song. Normal if the full band is there, win, lose, or draw(past only).

But what was different is the cheerleaders stood, at attention. And the players, in the midst of celebrating did the same thing.

Probably means nothing, as in Goodman, the locker rooms are the opposite way from the bands seating, but I would like to think Pre Heible has decided to discard the crap alma mater, and replace it with an original, far better tune.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:53 pm

When you add up all the injuries (two LU QBs, for example), and you see three BU guys go down -- including one transported in an ambulance -- in one play, it's easy to understand why the limited PL roster sizes are outrageous.

I feel sorry for BU having to play Army and Holy Cross next two weeks.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:05 pm

BTW:

Lehigh looked OK -- staff outcoached BU -- but BU looked plain, old awful.

I saw a lot of LU guys not knowing where to line up on O, and too many dropped balls.

BU's D-line was way overmatched.
IPSY1975

Post by IPSY1975 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:11 pm

We'll LUFAN and Sunday have put today's "big win" in proper perspective

Lehigh is not a completely "young team " and 15 straight loses speaks for itself with absolute blowouts a regular expectation against quality teams

Our last 3 opponents Bucknell Georgetown and Lafayette have a collective 6 wins and 20 losses record...not exactly something to brag about

Their Patriot League record is 3-11...so it's Garbage Time folks (sorry) and we have not beaten anybody good. I am hardly hopeful we can one day win a Championship at this rate tbh

Kudos to the Football Team for playing hard today : D Perri and OL improving, our 3 running backs very good and from game 1 Tygee Leech an absolute stud on Defense...so yes some semblance of talent

But let's not get carried away here...because this CS and Gilmore were outcoached versus any decent opponent!

Lafayette is 2-2 in Patriot League play ..can we win against them? That remains to be seen
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:56 am

IPSY1975 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:11 pm We'll LUFAN and Sunday have put today's "big win" in proper perspective

Lafayette is 2-2 in Patriot League play ..can we win against them? That remains to be seen
Based on what I saw today and have read about GU and LC, my money would be on LU to win both in close games barring anything unusual. But ... call me a "Homer."
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:44 am

Sundayamqb wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:56 am
IPSY1975 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:11 pm We'll LUFAN and Sunday have put today's "big win" in proper perspective

Based on what I saw today and have read about GU and LC, my money would be on LU to win both in close games barring anything unusual. But ... call me a "Homer."
With 12 and 20 playing well on offense, doesn’t it make one wonder who was evaluating players? These guys are playing by default and were 4th string in September. Both are PWOs. This OC has an inability to develop or evaluate. 6 college football games and an entire fall camp were wasted on a transfer QB. 20 is the shiftiest RB in the stable, feed him.