Lafayette

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
ngineer

Re: Lafayette

Post by ngineer » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:03 am

Well, from what I have seen over the past five weeks, the only change we might see would be a new OC. These players bonded during the disastrous streak and fought back. Some of that is to be credited to the coaches who had to have a roll in keeping up morale. I was at the game, but taped it and learned on the RCN broadcast that after the 6th straight loss, the following day, rather than doing the 'usual' game tape review and meet with their respective coaches; that Gilmore basically held an 'open forum' letting all of the kids express what they felt. According to the reporting, the team made a new commitment to each other and the following week we saw what happened at Fordham. The key, now, is how this finish will translate to new dedication over the winter as well as having an impact on recruiting where a high school kid will see a program starting a turnaround and wants to be part of it, in addition to a great education. This can certainly be an inflection point for the program. Next year's schedule will have its share of early challenges, so they will be some lumps; but the key is in those games with 'nova, Richmond, Princeton and Yale is how we've improved in one year.

DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:15 am

Lots of respect to these players for showing tremendous heart.

It’s great to see the season finish well.

Nonetheless, I hope there are considerable changes in the staff before next season. Otherwise our next 10 seasons will likely look like Holy Cross under Gilmore and Lehigh deserves better.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:55 am

The difference in the game was the quarterback play. Lehigh has a pretty good QB. Lafayette's was pitiful.

Gilmore really was fortunate with the W. Punting twice from inside the Lafayette 45 was beyond stupid.

That was not a pretty game to watch. The best part about that game is it's over.
LHFtball

Post by LHFtball » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:00 am

ngineer wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:03 am Well, from what I have seen over the past five weeks, the only change we might see would be a new OC. These players bonded during the disastrous streak and fought back. Some of that is to be credited to the coaches who had to have a roll in keeping up morale. I was at the game, but taped it and learned on the RCN broadcast that after the 6th straight loss, the following day, rather than doing the 'usual' game tape review and meet with their respective coaches; that Gilmore basically held an 'open forum' letting all of the kids express what they felt. According to the reporting, the team made a new commitment to each other and the following week we saw what happened at Fordham. The key, now, is how this finish will translate to new dedication over the winter as well as having an impact on recruiting where a high school kid will see a program starting a turnaround and wants to be part of it, in addition to a great education. This can certainly be an inflection point for the program. Next year's schedule will have its share of early challenges, so they will be some lumps; but the key is in those games with 'nova, Richmond, Princeton and Yale is how we've improved in one year.
Lehigh won 4 straight games in 2019 before they began their 15 game, historic losing streak. Those 4 wins came with “Coen” recruits. Since then, Lehigh has 3 wins that came against teams with a combined 6-26 record. The last W coming against a team without its starting QB, who was PL Rookie of Week several times. Lehigh was beaten in nearly every statistical category vs Lafayette, yet scratched out a W.

None of this is to diminish what these young men endured. Kudos to them for not giving up. But keeping it real, Bucknell and Georgetown are bad football teams. This staff needs some new, fresh thinkers. Without it, this page will be buzzing again by week 7 next fall.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:10 am

None of this is to diminish what these young men endured. Kudos to them for not giving up

- Such drivel. You act like they're fragile little flowers. Endured...LOL.
LHFtball

Post by LHFtball » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:20 am

mookie wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:10 am None of this is to diminish what these young men endured. Kudos to them for not giving up

- Such drivel. You act like they're fragile little flowers. Endured...LOL.
Ha. Got it. Losing 15 straight and being a part of the longest losing streak in program history is loads of fun.

Nothing to do with being fragile flowers. Grinding through that is enduring.

Could it be you need vocabulary help?

en·dure
/inˈd(y)o͝or,enˈd(y)o͝or/
verb
suffer (something painful or difficult) patiently.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:27 am

Clearly, you've never played the sport. You show up for practice every week concerned mostly about keeping your spot in the lineup. That's the grind and it has little to do with winning or losing on Saturday. Parents seem to be the ones who go into mourning over losses.
LHFtball

Post by LHFtball » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:00 am

mookie wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:27 am Clearly, you've never played the sport. You show up for practice every week concerned mostly about keeping your spot in the lineup. That's the grind and it has little to do with winning or losing on Saturday. Parents seem to be the ones who go into mourning over losses.
Played FBS ✔️….I hated losing. My teammates hated it too.

Such nonsensical “drivel” from someone who clearly enjoyed losing. Can’t say much more.

Peace out.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:30 am

How amazingly jaded we have become. I fondly remember the days when true fans would wildly celebrate a win over Lafayette. I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's game. We won and there was a lot of great defensive plays on both sides.

Congratulations Lehigh Football !!
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:58 pm

mookie wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:27 am Clearly, you've never played the sport. You show up for practice every week concerned mostly about keeping your spot in the lineup. That's the grind and it has little to do with winning or losing on Saturday. Parents seem to be the ones who go into mourning over losses.
Not everyone is as indifferent to the success of their team as you are… speaking of both players and alumni/fans.