Lafayette

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
ngineer

Re: Lafayette

Post by ngineer » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:45 am

I am glad to see what appears to be some excitement on campus for the Game. According to the B&W, only a few hundred tickets remained as of yesterday. It didn't mention whether Laughyette sold out their allotment or returned any.

Keeping the emotions in check so as to not make any idiotic mistakes will be key. We've been burnt a few times in recent years with some outright dumb penalties (especially personal fouls on 3rd and long that ended up giving the ball back to the opponent after the D had just held to force a punt). THAT CANNOT HAPPEN!! I think we could well see a monster game by our two senior LBs Haffner and Norris plugging the gaps and pressuring Davis. The DE's need to be in on that as well. I presume both teams will try and "shake up" each other's QB due to their non-experience with The Rivalry.

On O, I like how the run game has come to life and getting healthy in the OL has to be a significant factor. Our WRs are evolving, but need to be sure they have the ball before taking off.Too many dropped passes the past couple weeks. Hopefully, Snyder can return at TE which gives Perri a great option.

I'm always looking for the 'trick' or 'gadget' play by both teams..especially a fake punt or two near midfield. The special teams need to be solid. They don't have to be 'great'. Just don't have a screw up that sets up the Leotards with a short field, or worse. I guess it's missing the game last year that seems to have me more 'juiced' this year, considering there records of both teams and neither playing for anything other than pride....but, then, isn't that all we need? GO LEHIGH!

RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:42 am

Ah the pre Game mood swings. Our Dcwill be very young albeit it with excellent seniors and Jrs. Expect atvleast a few over amped errors by our kids as well as some sterling plays. Not having either Colton or Jablonski inside is very tough. Murphy is a space eater and a mauler but there is not much behind him other than Reiss moved over from OL. Callahan back will help a lot. Hopefully enough.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:32 am

All set for the Game. 2nd one I've not been to since '63. A few buddies coming over.. No clue what to expect today. Hope for the best. Pards ,albeit a bad team, are more talented than either Hoyas or Buckies.

# BEAT LAFAYETTE.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:37 pm

Ugly game. Mistakes and bad bounces galore. Lehigh D made the difference today. Great W.

Unlikely that TG will get sacked. He and his staff taught these kids how to win. Resilient. Got them past an overlong streak of Ls ( which I do blame on staff).
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:45 pm

RichH wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:37 pm Ugly game. Mistakes and bad bounces galore. Lehigh D made the difference today. Great W.

Unlikely that TG will get sacked. He and his staff taught these kids how to win. Resilient. Got them past an overlong streak of Ls ( which I do blame on staff).
Agree. Just looked at highlights and stats. These kids deserve all the credit for persevering.

Perspective: Gtown did just lose to 1-9 Morgan State and Bucknell is being beaten badly. Colgate has 500+ yds on Fordham.

If retained, Gilmore must make some changes or next year starts 1-5.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:05 pm

Let's hear from all the fire Gilmore people. Thinking Bucknell would gladly let Sterrett interview Cecchini. "Please take him off our hands!" - every Bucknell fan
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:16 pm

mookie wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:05 pm Let's hear from all the fire Gilmore people. Thinking Bucknell would gladly let Sterrett interview Cecchini. "Please take him off our hands!" - every Bucknell fan
Cecchini renting space in your mellon Mookie? I’m not hearing many saying hire the Bucknell coach. I have heard quite a few say that a young, dynamic coach would bring some excitement.

Gilmore will do what Gilmore alway does. Mediocrity. That may honestly be enough for Lehigh Football.
mookie

Post by mookie » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:02 pm

Ah, come on Carlo you can't fool a Corleone. Lehigh fans have been screaming for Checchini for years. In fact, they credited him with creating all that Lehigh offense back in the day.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:08 pm

Dave was a fan favorite for many. Neither he nor Tom were my 1st choice.
Dave made his bones running the offense not for creating it. Hank did. Kevin modified and adapted it. Dave ran it quite well.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:09 pm

RichH wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:08 pm Dave was a fan favorite for many. Neither he nor Tom were my 1st choice.
Dave made his bones running the offense not for creating it. Hank did. Kevin modified and adapted it. Dave ran it quite well.
+1

Sure. Consensus would prefer Ceccheni over Gilmore, understandable for alums on this forum. Personally, I’d say go young and find a guy who can connect with today’s athlete.