Lafayette

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
LHFtball

Re: Lafayette

Post by LHFtball » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:17 pm

TMH wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:30 am How amazingly jaded we have become. I fondly remember the days when true fans would wildly celebrate a win over Lafayette. I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's game. We won and there was a lot of great defensive plays on both sides.

Congratulations Lehigh Football !!
Congratulations on a 3-8 season with wins over 6-26 opponents! Woohoo. Oh how Lehigh fans have lowered their expectations.

Beating Lafayette made for a fun day, I’m sure. Absolutely should enjoy it. But it says nothing about the program’s future IMHO.

Hawktalker

Post by Hawktalker » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:07 pm

Yes, let's celebrate the win over Lafayette. It snaps a two-game losing against that team. Let's also acknowledge that Lehigh has made progress. The last five weeks this team was much better than the first six.
Colgate and Holy Cross are probably the teams to beat next year but I like Lehigh's chances against the rest. I could see 6-7 wins next year. Another stepping stone toward championships.
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:23 pm

The thing I still can’t comprehend is why it took the coaching staff all of training camp plus 6 games to figure out that Perri is a better quarterback than Wilkerson. It proves again how important the quarterback is to the success of any team. The touchdown pass against Lafayette was a perfect example. Perri evaded a strong rush, rolled to his left and found Dipeitro for the score. In all likelihood, Wilkerson, who is not nearly as mobile as Perri, would have been sacked and the play never happens.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:28 pm

Lehigh74 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:23 pm The thing I still can’t comprehend is why it took the coaching staff all of training camp plus 6 games to figure out that Perri is a better quarterback than Wilkerson. It proves again how important the quarterback is to the success of any team. The touchdown pass against Lafayette was a perfect example. Perri evaded a strong rush, rolled to his left and found Dipeitro for the score. In all likelihood, Wilkerson, who is not nearly as mobile as Perri, would have been sacked and the play never happens.
Taking a look at the data first.

Dante Perri played in Game 1 Villanova He went 3 of 6 for 17 yds and an interception.
Princeton he was 12 of 17 for 62 yards
Colgate 13 for 19 for 46 yards and another interception
Penn 7 for 27 for 118 yds and another interception.

So prior to the bye week, Perri was 35 for 69 (51%) for 243 yds or 3.5 yds/attempt with 0 TDS and 3 interceptions and neg 44 rushing yds.

For me, it was a matter of how come it took him so long but rather how did he come upon him so quickly. Put yourself in TGs position. You begin the year with only one QB that has had PT on the college level in 3 years. That guy leaves early in the season after sitting out the spring.You need to both find and develop your QB of the future in 4 weeks. You lost spring, summer and almost all of fall to evaluate your talent in camp. In January you can begin the process but you barely have enough OL to hold practice. You use DL to fill in the gaps. Spring was a mess. Lehigh had the option to abandon spring altogether like Georgetown. You turn it down.

So your options at camp are an FBS 3 star transfer, a junior, sophomore, and freshman scholarship player with little to no experience, and a PWO who was an HM for the Delco League. In what order do you evaluate them? Note: Perri was not that impressive in his 1st 4 games.
Last edited by TMH on Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:45 pm

I have a theory on the sudden emergence of an offense after the bye. I have no idea if it is valid though. :-)

Lehigh teams with some exceptions were built around drop back QBs and North-South runners. The success of both styles however are predicated on a stellar OL. If you don't protect your QB or open holes for your RB, your success drops significantly. Virtually all of our QBs are drop back. Allen, Garcia, Hartman, much like Bragalone are all power straight ahead runners.

The 2 PWOs, Perri and DiPietro are the exceptions to the rule. If the staff failed anywhere it was believing that the OL could be readily fixed even without Gurth who returned just prior to the bye weel albeit not at the same position. I think in the bye week, the offense changed. Gurth's return certainly helped but Perri became a rollout QB who showed talent throwing on the run. DiPietro who has some real wriggle was able to find his own holes.

The good news is that for the 1st time since TG arrived, we have identified players who can fill those roles before camp even begins. I would love for Gurth to take his 5th year.
dhtashjian

Post by dhtashjian » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:32 am

Lehigh 12 seniors, Lafayette 28 seniors. It would be interesting to compare # of seniors for each Patriot League team. Clearly, this was a rebuilding year and improving & winning last 3 games is a good sign for 2022.
kbees92

Post by kbees92 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:33 am

TMH wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:28 pm
Lehigh74 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:23 pm The thing I still can’t comprehend is why it took the coaching staff all of training camp plus 6 games to figure out that Perri is a better quarterback than Wilkerson. It proves again how important the quarterback is to the success of any team. The touchdown pass against Lafayette was a perfect example. Perri evaded a strong rush, rolled to his left and found Dipeitro for the score. In all likelihood, Wilkerson, who is not nearly as mobile as Perri, would have been sacked and the play never happens.

Dante Perri played in Game 1 Villanova He went 3 of 6 for 17 yds and an interception.

So prior to the bye week, Perri was 35 for 69 (51%) for 243 yds or 3.5 yds/completion with 0 TDS and 3 interceptions and neg 44 rushing yds.

For me, it was a matter of how come it took him so long but rather how did he come upon him so quickly. Put yourself in TGs position. You begin the year with only one QB that has had PT on the college level in 3 years. That guy leaves early in the season after sitting out the spring.You need to both find and develop your QB of the future in 4 weeks. You lost spring, summer and almost all of fall to evaluate your talent in camp. In January you can begin the process but you barely have enough OL to hold practice. You use DL to fill in the gaps. Spring was a mess. Lehigh had the option to abandon spring altogether like Georgetown. You turn it down.

So your options at camp are an FBS 3 star transfer, a junior, sophomore, and freshman scholarship player with little to no experience, and a PWO who was an HM for the Delco League. In what order do you evaluate them? Note: Perri was not that impressive in his 1st 4 games.

With all due respect, this is littered with inaccuracies regarding the timeline and the evaluation process, or lack thereof, that took place. There were "people" in the know, who were quite confident that Dante was one of the top 2 QBs in the room before fall camp began. In the least, those two were a better fit for the system.
kbees92

Post by kbees92 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:39 pm

kbees92 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:33 am

So prior to the bye week, Perri was 35 for 69 (51%) for 243 yds or 3.5 yds/completion with 0 TDS and 3 interceptions and neg 44 rushing yds.

With all due respect, this is littered with inaccuracies regarding the timeline and the evaluation process, or lack thereof, that took place. There were "people" in the know, who were quite confident that Dante was one of the top 2 QBs in the room before fall camp began. In the least, those top 2 were a better fit for the system.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:12 pm

kbees92 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:39 pm
kbees92 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:33 am

Heresay....name names.

With all due respect, this is littered with inaccuracies regarding the timeline and the evaluation process, or lack thereof, that took place. There were "people" in the know, who were quite confident that Dante was one of the top 2 QBs in the room before fall camp began. In the least, those top 2 were a better fit for the system.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:14 pm

This game felt a lot like some of those we lost when Lembo And Coen coached. A giant Pard OL that pounded away at running until we broke, and just not enough Time of Pos for Air Lehigh.

This time they kept bending but not breaking