COMMIT # 12. Matt. Spatny

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

COMMIT # 12. Matt. Spatny

Post by RichH » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:29 pm

Matt Spatny. LB/RB. 6'3 245. Medina. HS. Oh

Pards. Valpo. RMU. A bunch of D2s.
All Ohio Div 1 First team. LB. Medina one of the top teams in Ohio, 13-1 State runner up to St.Edward
High academic. Very athletic if not. fast. I would speculate a future at DE
Last edited by RichH on Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TMH

Re: COMMIT # 11. Matt. Spatny

Post by TMH » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:48 pm

Great pickup. He could be a special edge rusher in HS. He's only 17, just recently converted to defense (2 years) and I suspect is still growing even before Lehigh's strength and conditioning people get to him.

I posted this when you announced the offer but it bears reading again now that he committed.

77 tackles 14.5 Tackles for Loss 7.5 Sacks 22 Pressures 7 Touchdowns

https://medina-gazette.com/news/272603/ ... -his-size/
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:39 pm

Watching his videos. He is a force going forward. Quick with good technique. Eric and the weight room in Matt's future.His work out videos are impressive.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:26 am

Interesting article in yesterdays Medina. Gazette on Matt. Stated that he was the DPOY for the conference as well as the Norteast District of Ohio and 1st team All Ohio Defense. Noted he is getting a full free ride from Lehigh.
Article did highlight the postive enthusiasm from the coaches and players.( A common theme in all the conversations I've had and comments I've seen).
Admit I do wonder tho. His announcement reads more akin to those from PWOs in the past. The paucity of offers is a puzzle. Medina is a highly recruited program. Note that QB is headlining PSU's recruit class.
What I see is a young fella with a very big upside. Glad we got him.
TMH

Post by TMH » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:02 pm

RichH wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:26 am Interesting article in yesterdays Medina. Gazette on Matt. Stated that he was the DPOY for the conference as well as the Norteast District of Ohio and 1st team All Ohio Defense. Noted he is getting a full free ride from Lehigh.
Article did highlight the postive enthusiasm from the coaches and players.( A common theme in all the conversations I've had and comments I've seen).
Admit I do wonder tho. His announcement reads more akin to those from PWOs in the past. The paucity of offers is a puzzle. Medina is a highly recruited program. Note that QB is headlining PSU's recruit class.
What I see is a young fella with a very big upside. Glad we got him.
Here is the link to the article.

https://medina-gazette.com/news/289596/ ... at-lehigh/

I have no idea whether the article is accurate but they made it sound as if it was partly academic aid. I also don't know whether the Patriot League policies are evolving.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:10 pm

The author a bit Short on fact checking PL athletic scholarships. Regardless Matt is a recruited player, so all his aid counts vs the caps regardless of how Lehigh captions it. Ot may be relevant to how Lehigh accounts for academic/need aid. A University expense or an Atletic Dept expense.