PL Preseason Poll

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Re: PL Preseason Poll

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:16 pm

The coaching ultimately must develop talent/slill and have the ability to put the players in a position to succeed. I like the fact there seems to be some semblance of expectation for a winning season along with battling for second place in the PL. I personally do not see it based on the leadership/coaching and overall talent level relative to Holy Cross, Fordham. Until further notice I also trust Colgate a bit more than our Mountain Hawks.

As for Sluka vs Perri? Perri was "ok" last year given the circumstances around him but that's "just the way it is". Once again, the OL must be established and the play calling needs to be on point.

@ Villanova
Georgetown
Richmond
@ Princeton
Monmouth

Win! No excuses! 1-4 is NOT progress. 3-2 should be the goal!

RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:48 pm

If is indeed the Mystery.
1. OL
1a. Play calling
2. Interior DL depth
3. LB depth
Glimmers of hope. OL on campus all summer with the same coach.🤷‍♂️😏
Perri noted that he was comfortable in the offense now that he knew and understood it.
DL has numbers for a change but mostly speed End types. Colton is good but who else. We have space eaters at 290,290 and 280. Any good?
Starting LB group is very good. Any depth?
I am not as bleak on staff as owl. Brisson has the smarts and has run superb Os but these last years have been abysmal. D staff a bit of a jumble with assignments but it does seem effective.
4-1 would be great. Don't see it but I'll root for it. 3-2 is doable. 2-3 may be the reality.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:20 am

RichH wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:43 pm
LUFAN wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:06 am
RichH wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:27 am Kinda agree opa. The major snags on O were IMO the OL and Perri's early issues with grasping the offense. The OL was a mess. Anytime your 2 deep is filled with WOs and underclassmen, you can expect problems.
The new reality with the transfer portal and no sit out year will be an ongoing issue. BC and UVA got to cherry pick our 2 best OL recruits.
Pearson had 14 or 15 OL on campus for the summer. Hopefully a significant bonus. For a change,expect the 2 deep to be mostly upperclassmen.
The most serious issue is the lack of depth on the interior DL. We have more bodies foe a change. 🤞🤞 that a few stand out.
How exactly were these OLman “cherry picked”? They were in the portal for months because they chose not to play for this staff. That’s a Lehigh problem, not a new reality of portal.
No FAN it is not just a Lehigh problem. And yes it is cherrypicking. Canelas unhappy to say the least but he came to camp at an immobile 340+ lbs. He wasn't going to see the field.
Some prospects will take an FCS offer.figuring on a good yr to enable a transfer up. Many I agree, are not happy where they are and want the change.
Transfer portal is now a marketplace for teams to replace others lost to transfer and/or fill gaps in the recruit roster. They pick and chose who they want. UVA picked Canelas and BC picked Curatolo.

Don't get too mad at LUFAN. He has become the resident curmudgeon. Like all of us, he wants Lehigh to be better.
...but UVA and Boston College have nothing to cherry-pick if the kid has not entered the portal because he was either disgruntled or in this case, possibly mistreated. Canelas wasn't going to see the field as a freshman but obviously holds enough promise to now play FBS football.

74...I have lived in Lehigh Valley for many years. The demise of this football program has hit peak velocity under Tom Gilmore. I have been quite clear that it is time to clean house and start over with a younger head coach who connects with today's players.

I will always be a fan, but I will always state what seems obvious.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:21 pm

Any updates from camp? The season starts a week from Friday!

What does the OL rotation look like? Hopefully there's some depth/interchangeable pieces?

How has Perri looked? In sync with the OC? I am still scratching my head how Brisson kept his job after a historically inept offense.

The defense figures to be "solid"? But against really good competition is it good enough to survive an offense who might have to scratch and claw to put up 20-24 points?

Is there any reason to believe they can stay within 3 TDs of Villanova? 'Nova is starting a new QB but overall their talent level is extremely high by FCS standards. Plus, Ferrante has proven he can sustain what Talley built....
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:04 pm

Not much except fluff. No major I juries. O Perri crisp. WRs shined as did RBs, Garcia got a lot of reps.

Hoping Chuck does a write up of the scrimmage..Talking to Dad's Not particularly objective analysis there. 🤣
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:46 pm

RichH wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:04 pm Not much except fluff. No major I juries. O Perri crisp. WRs shined as did RBs, Garcia got a lot of reps.

Hoping Chuck does a write up of the scrimmage..Talking to Dad's Not particularly objective analysis there. 🤣
I have not seen or heard anything of great substance either.

Game notes next week should be interesting.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:02 pm

Trying to suss out a 2 deep for the O. It seems we will be running more package sets for Perri. Other than him,TE and OL,starters will depend on the specific package. I would guess at least 8 to 10 WRs in those rotations. Same with RBs. DL seems set with Murphy,Colton Callahan,Sibblis and Harris. Bland and Sheehan also in the mix. Hope some of the frosh DTs can level up quickly. LBs McIntyre,DiNucci Norris not much experienced behind them. 2ndary is stacked with multiple vets at each spot.
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:26 pm

Interesting to note that LU has posted previews of position groups on Twitter. Done all except TE and OL. TE is stacked. OL 3 starters,2 with PT and a couple that made the 2 deep. The rest are as yet unknown.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:00 pm

https://twitter.com/i/status/1562823373994196992

Don't forget the Special Teams, video link above.
RichH

Post by RichH » Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:10 pm

Thanks 808.
Mostly fluff. For me OL is the key for us. From what Chuck could gather, Jablonski running with the 2s.