PL Preseason Poll

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

PL Preseason Poll

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:44 pm

Not much of a surprise imo. I have Lehigh's win total at 3.5 based on a dearth of talent and subpar coaching. I think a 1-5 start is almost a certainty at this point given the various forces working against the Mountain Hawks. I have to think a 4-7 or worse record will be enough to send Gilmore packing after this season?

1. Holy Cross 71 points (11)
2. Fordham 60 (2)
3. Colgate 50 (1)
4. Lafayette 42
5. Lehigh 35
6. Georgetown
7. Bucknell 14

While Fordham has more talent then Colgate I like the Raider's culture to carry them to a second place finish. The fact they beat the Rams in last year's finale to finish second given all the turmoil the program faced heading into 2021 was rather impressive imo. Plus, I have zero faith in Conlin to get the most out of Fordham's roster....

RichH

Re: PL Preseason Poll

Post by RichH » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:07 pm

Thanks owl. Have no idea what to expect.for this season. Talent. It is better with some depth . The annual question is the OL. Some excellent talent but Lost 2 top prospects to BC and UVA. Too many gaps with WOs. Pearson has done ye :lol: oman work on his players this summer. We'll see what he has built.
D will be good.
Opening schedule is unfortunate. Incredibly bad timing for this team. 1-5 not unlikely. Will we be competitive? Hell,will we survive? Gonna search for some optimism :D :lol:
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:57 pm

The one thing we have going for us this year as opposed to last year, is that we have a half way decent quarterback. For the most part, Perri makes good decisions, is fairly accurate, moves well in the pocket and will run when there is an opportunity. Competent play at the quarterback position, can make a significant difference in the success of a football program at any level.
LUopa

Post by LUopa » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:17 am

I think Perri is better than half way decent...3 wins, close games with Ford and HC with a non functional injury riddled O line. He has some nice intangibles. If we keep the head injuries down this year; we should be very competitive in league. The Defense could be special this year. Depth will be a concern again. Camp will answer alot of questions.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:47 am

Noticed that most of the roster were on campus all summer. Particularly the O. Pearson had most of his OL in including a number of the frosh. Eric also had a big summer.. One Dad noted that his frosh son,a DB,came home 20 lbs heavier after only a month with Eric.
Keys for me.
The OL. There were flashes in the 2nd half of the season. Better consistency and cohesion admittedly vs lesser competition. The OL must start the season at least at that level.
OC needs to scheme an offense his players can execute.
Let's see how camp goes. Pray for no season ending injuries.
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:18 pm

I agree, Perri is better than “half way decent”. As I said above, he makes good decisions, is accurate and mobile. The point is, the play from the quarterback position should be vastly improved, and that, could make a big difference.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:04 pm

I am not going to put too much stock in Perri's play against two of the worst teams in FCS (Bucknell and Georgetown) and another program Lafayette who let go of their coach a few days after losing to Lehigh. Sluka and DeMorat are both big time FCS quarterbacks so Perri (with the help of others) will need to drastically improve (coaching?) in order for an incremental difference to turn into a huge leap forward in order to join those two at the top of the PL QB pecking order.

Like last year, the early schedule is great because it forces the program to step up or once again be embarrassed. At this point all the Covid excuses are out the door. Win....
LUopa

Post by LUopa » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:46 pm

Princ, Rich and Villa are tough. Cornell and Monmouth are win possibles. Georgetown, Layf and Bucknell are must haves. Colg, Ford, HC will determine the success of season.

New updated roster out before camp starts tomorrow-

Ty Nicholas DL to OL
DL biggest we have seen in at least 5 years and tons of experience
OL very big too
Didn't notice much else except this group is bigger than last 4 squads.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:16 am

Perri is average, at best, in this league...which isn't saying much. That said, he is capable under the tutelage of a good OC. The sad news for Lehigh is that they do not have a competent OC. Gilmore can work magic on D, but overall progress will be limited until there is a change at OC. IMHO
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:43 am

LUopa wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:46 pm Princ, Rich and Villa are tough. Cornell and Monmouth are win possibles. Georgetown, Layf and Bucknell are must haves. Colg, Ford, HC will determine the success of season.

New updated roster out before camp starts tomorrow-

Ty Nicholas DL to OL
DL biggest we have seen in at least 5 years and tons of experience
OL very big too
Didn't notice much else except this group is bigger than last 4 squads.
Eric and his S&C crew had a phenomenal summer. No complaints this season about undersized LBs and DL.The OL is enormous. Any good? Fingers crossed.
Offense has the skills talent and a capable enough QB. Will we have an OL? If so,then the issue is whether OC crafts an O that these players can execute.