Villanova

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Drinker 4

Re: Villanova

Post by Drinker 4 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:14 pm

Sagarin has Hoya line at ENGINEERS -1

LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:18 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:46 pm
LUEngineer wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:00 am Cmon guys-Quit piling on! This is the first game of the year against a Top 10 program. Give it a break for a couple weeks to see how we do against Georgetown & Richmond.

Gilmore came here with nothing in the stable. He is building a strong young team with depth & particularly at running back. Perhaps we should consider going to a 2 back formation to take advantage of the talent & depth?
Gilmore left Holy Cross a dumpster fire which is why even a great coach like Chesney failed to post a winning record in Worcester his first year. He was a disaster up there his final years which really hurt the confidence/moral of the program. The best decision HC made was to can him during the season so they were able to get some positive mojo back into the program ASAP and start the hiring process.

Gilmore did not inherit a great situation at Lehigh but at least the Mountain Hawks were only a year removed from back-2-back league titles. Chesney inherited a downtrodden program a decade removed from their lone PL-era playoff appearance. Sadly, Sterrett opted to hire a man who was fired by a league peer mid-season. Just an absolute egregious decision by Lehigh's longstanding AD.
++++++1

Well said. An egregious decision by AD.
LUopa

Post by LUopa » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:09 pm

Shocked by that line...after watching Marist Georgetown game Saturday....I think we are alot better than they are. Yes- we have to clean up the back end stuff and contain on the outside runs...we should not be giving up those type of plays to anybody regardless of ranking. Offense was better than last year. Sun Tzu said "all war is deception." We have to use some of these athletes in mis-directions, jet sweeps, inside crossing passes and QB keepers for big plays. 3 yards and a cloud of dust does not work anymore.
Last edited by LUopa on Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:24 pm

Drinker 4 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:14 pm Sagarin has Hoya line at ENGINEERS -1
That is bizarre even for Sagarin. The Vegas line will be more realistic.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:45 pm

Game notes:

SECOND(ARY) TO NONE
With a number of experienced returners, the secondary should be one of
Lehigh’s strongest units in 2022.
Leading the way is senior safety TyGee
Leach, who is a two-time first team All-Patriot League selection and junior
cornerback LaTreil Wimberly, who earned second team all-league honors in
each of his first two seasons. Juniors Spencer Roof, Corey Melzer and Donovan
Thomas and sophomore Logan Jones are all experienced safeties, while
senior Jack Bush, junior Donovan Lassiter and sophomore DJ Lawrence all
bring significant game experience to the cornerback position. Lehigh allowed
just over 212 passing yards per game last season.

TALK ABOUT GASLIGHTING!
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:27 pm

LU808 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:45 pm Game notes:

SECOND(ARY) TO NONE
With a number of experienced returners, the secondary should be one of
Lehigh’s strongest units in 2022.
Leading the way is senior safety TyGee
Leach, who is a two-time first team All-Patriot League selection and junior
cornerback LaTreil Wimberly, who earned second team all-league honors in
each of his first two seasons. Juniors Spencer Roof, Corey Melzer and Donovan
Thomas and sophomore Logan Jones are all experienced safeties, while
senior Jack Bush, junior Donovan Lassiter and sophomore DJ Lawrence all
bring significant game experience to the cornerback position. Lehigh allowed
just over 212 passing yards per game last season.

TALK ABOUT GASLIGHTING!
Can't argue the point. Rep and potential are nice but only results actually count.
lfnadmin

Post by lfnadmin » Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:56 am

Villanova beat Lehigh last Friday and put up a very good showing. Having seen their top-recruited QB up close, along with basically every single skill player from last year, it won't be the last time this year Villanova does this to an opponent (trying to imagine what Villanova might do to Towson on November 5th - the highlights might be NC-17).

Anyone who equates last year's 47-3 shellacking and this game didn't actually watch the game. Last year's September offense was in complete disarray. But this team moved the ball extremely well on the No. 5 team in the country and the OL went toe to toe with them. The defense, too, had some good moments that were overshadowed. I'd say that the main issue with the team was sloppiness. Like I said in the recap, you can't expect to play sloppy against the No. 5 team in the country and win.

For those who are bashing Gilmore, Gilmore absolutely inherited a mess from the end of Andy's tenure. I loved Andy and I'd still run through a brick wall for him, but the program had developed real issues by his final year and it took a long time to fix those issues. The issues were hidden due to the 5-6 Patriot League title season (and to a lesser extent the playoff loss to UNH where they dropped 70 points on us), but they were clearly there - we just didn't bother to look too closely.

Right now I see Tom as being past the halfway point of a rebuild of the program from a large number of internal problems. Tom could have come here and played the happy bullshitter and an instant return to the glory days, but he did not. I think he realized that this was a multi year rebuilding effort, even if the fans here seem delusional about that fact. This August I saw the potential of a Lehigh program that seems ready to turn a corner after a tough rebuilding period; nothing about the sloppy loss to the No. 5 team in the country has me changing my mind at this point.

The trouble is road doesn't get a lot easier - Richmond's nationally-ranked, Princeton should be, and it's not like Monmouth, now a CAA school, will be any easier either. If Lehigh goes 3-2 with all of these schools and Georgetown, it will be the best Lehigh has done out-of-conference since at least 2011 (and even then, that's debatable: that year was Monmouth W, unranked UNH L (at home in OT on a BS call to boot), Princeton W, Liberty W, Yale W.) Even then I think this year's September is harder than that one - my memory is that Liberty was rebuilding, Princeton and Yale hadn't unleashed their financial aid to create superprograms, and Monmouth wasn't yet Monmouth.

Right now Lehigh is 3-1 in their last 4 games with their only loss coming to the No. 5 FCS team in the nation. Colgate is also 3-1 in their last 4 games with a loss to a Power 5 FBS school. Holy Cross is 3-1 in their last 4 games, also with a loss to Villanova. Both Lehigh and Colgate are imperfect teams right now with a lot of need for growth. Holy Cross as defending champs I think everyone would agree is ahead of them after 1 game. But Raider fans are mature about it and completely put the outcome of the game in perspective. Our fans? They come on here bashing the coaching staff and more unforgivably the kids for - what, exactly? Not losing as acceptably against the best team in the CAA?

Some perspective is in order. Dude, this is Yankee fan territory. We're better than this. It's one game.

I don't want to start heavily censoring the board or yanking people off of it. But if people are going to bash the kids individually or this place devolves into what Lafayette's board used to be I'm going to have to do it. I will not put up with it.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:03 am

lfnadmin wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:56 am Villanova beat Lehigh last Friday and put up a very good showing. Having seen their top-recruited QB up close, along with basically every single skill player from last year, it won't be the last time this year Villanova does this to an opponent (trying to imagine what Villanova might do to Towson on November 5th - the highlights might be NC-17).

Anyone who equates last year's 47-3 shellacking and this game didn't actually watch the game. Last year's September offense was in complete disarray. But this team moved the ball extremely well on the No. 5 team in the country and the OL went toe to toe with them. The defense, too, had some good moments that were overshadowed. I'd say that the main issue with the team was sloppiness. Like I said in the recap, you can't expect to play sloppy against the No. 5 team in the country and win.

For those who are bashing Gilmore, Gilmore absolutely inherited a mess from the end of Andy's tenure. I loved Andy and I'd still run through a brick wall for him, but the program had developed real issues by his final year and it took a long time to fix those issues. The issues were hidden due to the 5-6 Patriot League title season (and to a lesser extent the playoff loss to UNH where they dropped 70 points on us), but they were clearly there - we just didn't bother to look too closely.

Right now I see Tom as being past the halfway point of a rebuild of the program from a large number of internal problems. Tom could have come here and played the happy bullshitter and an instant return to the glory days, but he did not. I think he realized that this was a multi year rebuilding effort, even if the fans here seem delusional about that fact. This August I saw the potential of a Lehigh program that seems ready to turn a corner after a tough rebuilding period; nothing about the sloppy loss to the No. 5 team in the country has me changing my mind at this point.

The trouble is road doesn't get a lot easier - Richmond's nationally-ranked, Princeton should be, and it's not like Monmouth, now a CAA school, will be any easier either. If Lehigh goes 3-2 with all of these schools and Georgetown, it will be the best Lehigh has done out-of-conference since at least 2011 (and even then, that's debatable: that year was Monmouth W, unranked UNH L (at home in OT on a BS call to boot), Princeton W, Liberty W, Yale W.) Even then I think this year's September is harder than that one - my memory is that Liberty was rebuilding, Princeton and Yale hadn't unleashed their financial aid to create superprograms, and Monmouth wasn't yet Monmouth.

Right now Lehigh is 3-1 in their last 4 games with their only loss coming to the No. 5 FCS team in the nation. Colgate is also 3-1 in their last 4 games with a loss to a Power 5 FBS school. Holy Cross is 3-1 in their last 4 games, also with a loss to Villanova. Both Lehigh and Colgate are imperfect teams right now with a lot of need for growth. Holy Cross as defending champs I think everyone would agree is ahead of them after 1 game. But Raider fans are mature about it and completely put the outcome of the game in perspective. Our fans? They come on here bashing the coaching staff and more unforgivably the kids for - what, exactly? Not losing as acceptably against the best team in the CAA?

Some perspective is in order. Dude, this is Yankee fan territory. We're better than this. It's one game.

I don't want to start heavily censoring the board or yanking people off of it. But if people are going to bash the kids individually or this place devolves into what Lafayette's board used to be I'm going to have to do it. I will not put up with it.
+1
Well said.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:14 am

lfnadmin wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:56 am Villanova beat Lehigh last Friday and put up a very good showing. Having seen their top-recruited QB up close, along with basically every single skill player from last year, it won't be the last time this year Villanova does this to an opponent (trying to imagine what Villanova might do to Towson on November 5th - the highlights might be NC-17).

I am personally not bashing Gilmore rather stating that based on observed evidence over the course of his head coaching career that he is a below average coach incapable of turning this ship around. I firmly stand my ground that he will never succeed at Lehigh at the level Higgins, Lembo and Coen did. Nor come close. Plus, I seriously question his demeanor/ability to control his emotions for the betterment of the team/program.

The Villanova game went almost exactly how I anticipated. Better, because you can't get worse than "historically" bad, but still nowhere close to good enough. Which is why I had it 44-17....

Chuck, I appreciate the time you put in covering Lehigh football but I challenge your predictions (generally extremely skewed) and overview of the state of Lehigh football based the fact I think your takes are significantly flawed due to bias and a predetermined agenda to shed as positive a light as possible on the Lehigh program given your time at CSJ. It's basically your civic responsibility to always take a glass-half full approach....

BTW, how about the mess Dakosty took over at Colgate with little to time to adapt as a head coach? Led them to a second place league finish...

Trials and tribulations are relative and the manner in which they are dealt with comes down to the individuals who are called upon to lead the masses to a better place....
lfnadmin

Post by lfnadmin » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:15 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:14 am
lfnadmin wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:56 am snip
I am personally not bashing Gilmore rather stating that based on observed evidence over the course of his head coaching career that he is a below average coach incapable of turning this ship around. I firmly stand my ground that he will never succeed at Lehigh at the level Higgins, Lembo and Coen did. Nor come close. Plus, I seriously question his demeanor/ability to control his emotions for the betterment of the team/program.

The Villanova game went almost exactly how I anticipated. Better, because you can't get worse than "historically" bad, but still nowhere close to good enough. Which is why I had it 44-17....

Chuck, I appreciate the time you put in covering Lehigh football but I challenge your predictions (generally extremely skewed) and overview of the state of Lehigh football based the fact I think your takes are significantly flawed due to bias and a predetermined agenda to shed as positive a light as possible on the Lehigh program given your time at CSJ. It's basically your civic responsibility to always take a glass-half full approach....

BTW, how about the mess Dakosty took over at Colgate with little to time to adapt as a head coach? Led them to a second place league finish...

Trials and tribulations are relative and the manner in which they are dealt with comes down to the individuals who are called upon to lead the masses to a better place....
Kevin Higgins in hist first four years as HC went 22-21-1, after inheriting a Patriot League Championship team. Lembo inherited one of the greatest teams in Lehigh football history and guided them to three more playoff games and the legendary home playoff victory. Andy struggled mightily his first few seasons and very, very nearly got fired in the late 2000s. The point being that the last three head football coaches either 1) inherited a once-in-a-lifetime team or 2) struggled mightily for four years while building a winner - and realistically had five years to do so. I don't know what Tom's record will ultimately be here, but it seems quite unfair to hold him to a different standard than all of the head football coaches of the last twenty years. Do you think the dysfunctional 3-8 team that lost to Georgetown that Tom inherited was an all-time Lehigh team?

I'm also glad you brought up Dakosty, who went 5-6 last year and lost to (checks notes) Brown and Cornell. I'm not saying he did a bad job - beating Fordham at the end of the year was a good win, even if Fordham was playing for pride at that point - and he definitely deserves credit for exceeding expectations by a lot. But you're making it seem like he's the second coming of Fred Dunlap. He may be, but it's pretty quick to crown him that after one 5-6 season.

It's your prerogative to believe what you want about my writing, and I make no apologies for seeing positivity in the program, but I do think I am fair about it. I was livid about the 47-3 loss last year and I let people know how I felt about it publicly. When Lehigh was in the midst of the historic losing streak I didn't shy away from it. I am not all puppy dogs and ice cream. What I can unequivocally tell you is that that loss and this loss were night and day different. Last year's loss had me wondering if they would win any games last season. This year's loss showed a team (players and coaches) that can compete with one of the best teams in FCS, but needs to grow up quicker if they want a successful season and a title shot against Holy Cross. The game against Georgetown is a must-win and it won't be easy. But if they do they should be in a decent spot to get through the roughness of the rest of September.

More importantly - let's see what happens. Let's see who's right.