Villanova

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
LUFAN

Re: Villanova

Post by LUFAN » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:28 am

Lehigh receives the award for “Lone embarrassment of the Patriot League” for week 1.

Shocker.

LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:00 am

Cmon guys-Quit piling on! This is the first game of the year against a Top 10 program. Give it a break for a couple weeks to see how we do against Georgetown & Richmond.

Gilmore came here with nothing in the stable. He is building a strong young team with depth & particularly at running back. Perhaps we should consider going to a 2 back formation to take advantage of the talent & depth?
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:35 am

LUEngineer wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:00 am Cmon guys-Quit piling on! This is the first game of the year against a Top 10 program. Give it a break for a couple weeks to see how we do against Georgetown & Richmond.

Gilmore came here with nothing in the stable. He is building a strong young team with depth & particularly at running back. Perhaps we should consider going to a 2 back formation to take advantage of the talent & depth?
+1
Context. #5 Nova is an elite FCS team. Could we have done better? Sure. Our mistakes a big factor Friday night. An embarrassing loss? I don't think so. Frustrating? You bet..The 2nd quarter was a disaster.
Let's see how well the team develops.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:37 pm

LUEngineer wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:00 am Cmon guys-Quit piling on! This is the first game of the year against a Top 10 program. Give it a break for a couple weeks to see how we do against Georgetown & Richmond.

That’s BS he had nothing in the stable. You go back and look at the roster and tell me he had nothing. It is very simply, untrue.

Colgate played Stanford and was respectable. Laf beat Sacred Heart. Bucknell took Towson to OT. GTown routed Marist. Lehigh was down 24-0 after 18 minutes of football. Gilmore has made excuses for 3 years No more excuses. The bottom line is that the man is a lifetime losing head coach. There is no mystery here. The guy is 79-100 as a HC.

Brisson knows one scheme and will never make a major adjustment.

Alums can love their school but be objective. I’m not emotionally attached like many of you, with all due respect.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:16 pm

To say this was anything other than an embarrassment is to admit you have no sense what the once proud Lehigh football tradition was. They are a doormat in the most doormat-y conference in FCS.
That is all.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:32 pm

The season just started so to say we are the doormat of the Patriot League is grossly premature at this point.

Is the Patriot league the doormat of FCS—yes. We agree that we are a program that is far from where we had historically been but that happened long before Gimore’s arrival.

Patriot League has no excuse to being so pathetic & hats off to Colgate for consistent aggressive scheduling.

If we are the doormat of PL in 2022 then I will join your crusade but I believe it is only fair to let this play out.
Hawktalker

Post by Hawktalker » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:49 pm

Slow down everybody. Did anyone expect Lehigh was going to beat Villanova? Lehigh last beat Nova in 2006. Lehigh was much more competetive against Nova Friday night than they were last year.
This team is not the 1998-2002 Lehigh teams, nor the 2011-2012 teams but I think they'll be better than the last five Lehigh teams.
Give them a chance
lfnadmin

Post by lfnadmin » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:06 pm

My recap of the game:

https://www.college-sports-journal.com/ ... ome-45-17/

In front of 6,101 enthusiastic fans, many of them students, the No. 5 ranked Villanova Wildcats did what was expected of them, running out to a big lead en route to a 45-17 victory.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:35 pm

Hawktalker wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:49 pm Slow down everybody. Did anyone expect Lehigh was going to beat Villanova? Lehigh last beat Nova in 2006. Lehigh was much more competetive against Nova Friday night than they were last year.
This team is not the 1998-2002 Lehigh teams, nor the 2011-2012 teams but I think they'll be better than the last five Lehigh teams.
Give them a chance
I expected, err hoped given the Gilmore factor, for "significant" improvement against a very good team that was also breaking in several new pieces; like a new quarterback. What I saw was Lehigh putting forth another anemic performance just like last year. Was it "better"? I guess but the difference is extremely negligible personally, 47-3 vs 45-17. I am looking for FAR more improvement than a slightly lesser blowout. Hell, I picked the score 44-17 on AGS!

Even you fail to exude firm confidence that this team WILL be better than the last five squads (and that includes a 2017 PL title team which i say zero chance). Rather, you HOPE they will. Why hope? Because that's all most people who follow Lehigh football is left with.

I have done my homework/research; this whole Gilmore experiment has been way too predictable given the man's track record at Holy Cross. Last year an 0-ffer start was basically a lock because the coaching is not capable of significant improvement. This year I think a 1-5 or maybe another 0-6 start is another foregone conclusion because of staff incompetence.

Holy Cross rid themselves of a loser coach like Gilmore, hired a proven a winner and now they're the dominant force in the league. Gilmore left Worcester a mess which cost Chesney a winning record his first year and really took some time to gain traction nationally. However, now that Chesney is fully clear of Gilmore's incompetence he's running laps around the league.

Gilmore is not only a poor game day coach, his reputation as a staff leader is terrible within the coaching ranks. He will NEVER get good assistants to work for him.....
Last edited by Go Lehigh TU Owl on Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:46 pm

Gilmore left Holy Cross a dumpster fire which is why even a great coach like Chesney failed to post a winning record in Worcester his first year. He was a disaster up there his final years which really hurt the confidence/moral of the program. The best decision HC made was to can him during the season so they were able to get some positive mojo back into the program ASAP and start the hiring process.

Gilmore did not inherit a great situation at Lehigh but at least the Mountain Hawks were only a year removed from back-2-back league titles. Chesney inherited a downtrodden program a decade removed from their lone PL-era playoff appearance. Sadly, Sterrett opted to hire a man who was fired by a league peer mid-season. Just an absolute egregious decision by Lehigh's longstanding AD.