Richmond

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
News
Site Admin

Re: Richmond

Post by News » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:25 am

Udinski And Richmond Spin Lehigh, 30-6

https://www.college-sports-journal.com/ ... high-30-6/

Richmond QB Reece Udinski would go 17-for-17 on his first 17 passing attempts, scoring two passing touchdowns before his first incompletion midway through the second quarter.

Hawkineer

Post by Hawkineer » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:12 pm

LUEngineer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:18 am Mookie is a great tongue-in-cheek orator critic of mostly wrestling but nice to see him on the football hoard to create energy & discussion.

The one thing I did notice yesterday was the huge number of fans at Goodman but not in the stadium. Obviously Parents Weekend ballooned the attendance, but beyond that we’re the number of group tents was beyond anything I have ever seen at a Lehigh football game except Lafayette game. Interest groups poppies up everywhere & I myself only left the tent area to go to the game at halftime & the tents were still loaded with people as I walked by then all.

It truly was a pathetic performance & as mentioned above unless Richmond(Whose QB & receivers were awesome) turns out to be a top 10 team then we do have a serious problem. At this point our only salvation would be to challenge for the PL title. The long run however has to be a return to FCS competitiveness that we once had. Gilmore may not be the right guy to get us there but I would take y wait & see approach to see how this year turns out in PL play before pulling any plug on Gilmore or Sterrett as you guys are championing. Let’s let this year play out as Villanova & Richmond way end up both being top of their league & FCS.

We do have 3 really good Running Backs but not using them enough as all are really good athletes IMO!!
And the Georgetown game? Aaaaaaargh!

Seen enough to know that this team will be a PL bottom feeder and will remain so as long as Gilmore is here. HC is an in your face example of what happens when you replace an incompetent Gilmore with a competent coach.
Last edited by Hawkineer on Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
HFO

Post by HFO » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:27 pm

LEHIGH needs to clean house including this new corporate Board of Trustee structure, President, Athletic Director and Football Coach. This once great institution has become a mess since Alice Gast left for greener pastures of Imperial College of London. It began its decline under do nothing Farrington.

It takes LOYAL LEHIGH alumni to actively get involved and demand changes. Get appointed to Boards at each college. We might be 51, but there was a time not so long ago we were in Top 30.
LUopa

Post by LUopa » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:51 pm

Defense played a ton better in 2nd half...
It's one game of 11....
Can't compare CAA and Ivy with very restrictive Pat league recruiting rules...
Maybe transition to Pioneer League better....
You want a coach change now...Unban Meyer, Scott Frost, and Herm Edwards are available?
I recommend we see how we do against fordham and Colgate at home before throwing out the baby with the bath water.
We won a league game...we are in 1st place....we ain't Columbia in the 1980s with the 44 game loses yet...
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:03 pm

You can’t be serious about Alice Gast leaving being the decline of Lehigh. It really started in the 90’s & Gast was probably the worst of a bad run of President’s.

She couldn’t communicate &!needed handlers to keep her away from people. Her leaving was a sigh of relief. Going from 31 to 51 USNews ranking started with Farrington but was set up by Likens changing the nickname & giving away our Brand—Really bad marketing decision.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:40 pm

LUopa wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:51 pm Defense played a ton better in 2nd half...
It's one game of 11....
You want a coach change now...Unban Meyer, Scott Frost, and Herm Edwards are available?
I recommend we see how we do against fordham and Colgate at home before throwing out the baby with the bath water.
We won a league game...we are in 1st place....we ain't Columbia in the 1980s with the 44 game loses yet...
- Fordham is 2-0 against the CAA this year. I think they put up a good fight against MAC member Ohio U. next Saturday in Athens.
- Holy Cross just beat likely Ivy contender Yale 38-14 in front of 13k plus yesterday in Worcester and has a win over FBS Buffalo. Good chance the Crusaders are ranked in Top 10 in all of FCS tomorrow.
- Heck, Colgate beat CAA Maine last week in Orono.

Lehigh has a Lehigh problem. Their incompetence is self-induced.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:18 pm

Hawkineer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:12 pm
LUEngineer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:18 am Mookie is a great tongue-in-cheek orator critic of mostly wrestling but nice to see him on the football hoard to create energy & discussion.

The one thing I did notice yesterday was the huge number of fans at Goodman but not in the stadium. Obviously Parents Weekend ballooned the attendance, but beyond that we’re the number of group tents was beyond anything I have ever seen at a Lehigh football game except Lafayette game. Interest groups poppies up everywhere & I myself only left the tent area to go to the game at halftime & the tents were still loaded with people as I walked by then all.

It truly was a pathetic performance & as mentioned above unless Richmond(Whose QB & receivers were awesome) turns out to be a top 10 team then we do have a serious problem. At this point our only salvation would be to challenge for the PL title. The long run however has to be a return to FCS competitiveness that we once had. Gilmore may not be the right guy to get us there but I would take y wait & see approach to see how this year turns out in PL play before pulling any plug on Gilmore or Sterrett as you guys are championing. Let’s let this year play out as Villanova & Richmond way end up both being top of their league & FCS.

We do have 3 really good Running Backs but not using them enough as all are really good athletes IMO!!
And the Georgetown game? Aaaaaaargh!

Seen enough to know that this team will be a PL bottom feeder and will remain so as long as Gilmore is here. HC is an in your face of what happens when you replace an incompetent Gilmore with a competent coach.
Agreed.

Georgetown, the perennial doormat of the league, statistically punished Lehigh. Any competency from their staff and they win going away.

The time for change is now. Gilmore is despised among high school and college coaches. He is a lifetime loser and will be the same at Lehigh.

This has been a 4 year experiment. Move on.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:26 pm

LUopa wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:51 pm Defense played a ton better in 2nd half...
It's one game of 11....
Why transition anywhere? Hiring a loser has produced a predictable outcome. Hire a real coach (like Holy Cross did) and return to being a ranked FCS program.
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:30 pm

LUEngineer wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:03 pm You can’t be serious about Alice Gast leaving being the decline of Lehigh. It really started in the 90’s & Gast was probably the worst of a bad run of President’s.

She couldn’t communicate &!needed handlers to keep her away from people. Her leaving was a sigh of relief. Going from 31 to 51 USNews ranking started with Farrington but was set up by Likens changing the nickname & giving away our Brand—Really bad marketing decision.
I think it’s a stretch to claim the mascot change precipitated any decline. Our problem isn’t marketing or mascots or anything of the kind. Farrington, Gast and other administrators failed because of who they are and the “guidance” of the board of trustees. The mascot/marketing has nothing to do with it.

Lehigh has to hire and retain the best in their field. They need research that actually contributes to a body of knowledge and they need to end their preoccupation with window dressing.

Many schools are very strong in multiple disciplines and Lehigh can be as well. The problem is they think this is achieved by changing optics rather than outcomes.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:59 pm

DF 2002....... entirely agree. Let's hope Helble can right the ship and move in a practical, constructive direction with academic and research excellence once again demanded. As always, providing direction and hiring the right people are the keys. Gilmore apparently an example of the antithesis.