PL Teams in the Polls

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
mookie

Re: PL Teams in the Polls

Post by mookie » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:40 am

The head couch is what got Deshaun Watson in trouble.

DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:45 am

mookie wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:40 am The head couch is what got Deshaun Watson in trouble.
Wow… I very clearly need more coffee…. Not much sleep last night
HFO

Post by HFO » Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:22 pm

I am of school that Gilmore is the wrong guy. Sterrett needs to retire. However, at end of year. Not a big fan of in season changes. Day after Lehigh-Lafayette, make the announcement. Get the hiring process started and finished by mid January for AD and then a March hiring of a football coach. Need to take Sterrett out of the decision process.
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:18 am

HFO wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:22 pm I am of school that Gilmore is the wrong guy. Sterrett needs to retire. However, at end of year. Not a big fan of in season changes. Day after Lehigh-Lafayette, make the announcement. Get the hiring process started and finished by mid January for AD and then a March hiring of a football coach. Need to take Sterrett out of the decision process.
Fire Gilmore now and give the kids and alumni a reason to have some hope.

Retire Sterrett after the season. He may have a seat at the table to find a replacement but by no means must he have sole or final decision making authority.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:05 am

If you fire & hire during the season you have y chance to recruit. You cannot fire someone without a replacement until next March without a lost recruiting year.

If they fire Gilmore they better have someone in the wings like Stambaugh perhaps? I would think this weekend against Monmouth will be the deciding moment one way or another if there is a blowout at home this Saturday.

With a competitive game, Gilmore will survive.
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:42 am

LUEngineer wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:05 am If you fire & hire during the season you have y chance to recruit. You cannot fire someone without a replacement until next March without a lost recruiting year.

If they fire Gilmore they better have someone in the wings like Stambaugh perhaps? I would think this weekend against Monmouth will be the deciding moment one way or another if there is a blowout at home this Saturday.

Great point but at the same time, how successful would Gilmore’a recruiting be during another failed campaign?

It’s a price we may have already paid and at least some decisive action may actually start the process of turning around this embarrassment of a program.
HFO

Post by HFO » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:46 am

DF2002 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:42 am
LUEngineer wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:05 am If you fire & hire during the season you have y chance to recruit. You cannot fire someone without a replacement until next March without a lost recruiting year.

Great point but at the same time, how successful would Gilmore’a recruiting be during another failed campaign?

It’s a price we may have already paid and at least some decisive action may actually start the process of turning around this embarrassment of a program.
I could fully support a Phil Stambaugh as a head coach. He has shown ability to coach at high school level. Was a true leader on the field with NFL caliber talent. He is type of guy who can recruit PA, NJ, NY, MD, OH for players who truly want to be competitive and be part of Lehigh tradition of winning. If an in season hire, go with Stambaugh, get rid of Gilmore and have an assistant coach be interim head coach. The decision should be made after the Monmouth game. This Gilmore is just not a leader and these players will only be demoralized more if he remains at Lehigh. Sterrett demanded to be retired by alumni at end of season is a given. It is his time to go and have a true nationwide search for a new Athletic Director. Preferably someone who is an Associate AD at a Big 10 university. They know the ins and outs of NCAA rules and how to run gameday better than any.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:29 pm

Three biggest Dr Sterrett Mistakes:

1 Not Lighting Goodman (and increasing the lighting in the Parking lots). Should have been a way to arrange a 10 year commitment to pay for about 50% of the capital costs. A relatively inexpensive action $1-2M each from LU ands SFC. (lighting the north lot and having all undergrads park there, and stay all night, if necessary to make sure all student drivers are 100% sober.

2. Back in the 90s when Coach Frank Marshall lead an excellent Swimming program (competitive with the academies, much stronger than other PL teams) committing to a 50 Meter Natatorium (like Bucknell and F+M if not quite Annapolis) Maybe a 15 year plan, but at least a commitment.

3 Hiring Gillmore. and/or maybe making better effort to hold unto Higgins or Lembo. (I have to admit most of you folks know the situation in the LV better than I, but I do remember Coach Whitehead went directly from Carlisle HS
to the equivalent of OC

I recognize higher administration may have hindered Dean Sterrrett, but......
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:44 pm

10/3 Polls

Stats Top 25 (media poll)
#9 Holy Cross (highest ranking since 1991)
ORV #27 Fordham

Coaches Top 25
#10 Holy Cross
#16 Fordham

Great to see PL programs elevate themselves on a national level!
LU808

Post by LU808 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:36 pm

Well...two of them anyway.

The rest are FCS / PL perennial "also rans" lately.