Princeton

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Re: Princeton

Post by RichH » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:04 pm

LUopa wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:56 pm 4 short years ago we gave up nearly 800 yards and 66 points and could not tackle a soul at Princeton. The board wanted ACs head on a pike without understanding anything inside the program ...we fought hard yesterday...giving up only 62 yards of rushing...let's give TG until the end of his 4th year before judging...he did change the culture, recruiting is better, and the indoor facility is coming- something he got done at Holy Cross. I personally loved the big pick six but I give credit to the defensive staff...they put the kid that position. Let's see how Fordham and HC pan out...could we be 5-6 and be league Champs? HC with a non automatic slot in playoffs?
+1
What the hell. :D Agreed
All should read LFN's piece. Whether you agree or disagree the comments by Jamiel and Colton at the end tells a good bit about where the team is now.

Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:18 pm

LUopa wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:56 pm 4 short years ago we gave up nearly 800 yards and 66 points and could not tackle a soul at Princeton. The board wanted ACs head on a pike without understanding anything inside the program ...we fought hard yesterday...giving up only 62 yards of rushing...let's give TG until the end of his 4th year before judging...he did change the culture, recruiting is better, and the indoor facility is coming- something he got done at Holy Cross. I personally loved the big pick six but I give credit to the defensive staff...they put the kid that position. Let's see how Fordham and HC pan out...could we be 5-6 and be league Champs? HC with a non automatic slot in playoffs?
Lehigh played "ok" in the first half then reverted to their typical level of incompetence while Princeton pretty much slept walked to a 12 point win. Brisson's offense once again exploded for 10 points which I believe puts the Gilmore/Brisson PPG average at less than 12 since the start of the 2019 season. I simply have a higher bar than 30 minutes of "so-so" football and another double-digit loss at this point in the Gilmore regime.

How did Gilmore change the culture in a positive way? The Lehigh football program and its reputation has never been in a poorer place than it is now during my lifetime. The lack of winning, inability to score, failure to produce an entertaining product is the current culture of the program. Gilmore has a well earned reputation as losing head coach (terrible career W/L record) and a jerk. He has retained his assistants, Brisson would be fired at the high school, because no one with options will work for him.

Lehigh is about to get lit-up on their home turf the next two weeks. The type of offense and fun(!) football that used to be a Lehigh trademark will be on full display by the opposition.

I seriously wonder how much context/perspective of the league/FCS you have when you post things like lets see how Fordham and Colgate "pan out". Their is plenty of evidence and data available to draw reasonable judgement. I prefer watching as many games as possible. Yesterday I had Colgate vs HC, Lehigh vs Princeton, Lafayette vs Penn, Ohio vs Fordham, SDSU vs Missouri State, Montana State vs EWU on my various monitors. Just as last season's terrible start and season was far to see easy to see coming and a likely 1-5 start to this season fairly predictable given the incompetence of this staff.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:19 pm

RichH wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:04 pm
+1
What the hell. :D Agreed
All should read LFN's piece. Whether you agree or disagree the comments by Jamiel and Colton at the end tells a good bit about where the team is now.
Actions speak louder than words! Beat Monmouth! No excuses! I appreciate LFN's time but I trust my own research and knowledge of the program, PL and FCS football when it comes to passing judgement.

Love that Monmouth and Fordham are rolling in to Goodman! Great barometer for the staff in front of the home crowd!!
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:51 pm

I’m not defending Gilmore and I’m not saying he will end up being a success at Lehigh, but I do think the fact he was fired by Holy Cross means diddly squat. People conveniently forget that Bill Belichick, who many consider the best of all time, was fired by the Cleveland Browns. Joe Torre failed at several managerial jobs before he was hired by the Yankees. People can learn from their mistakes and failures, and become better people and better coaches.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:40 pm

Lehigh74 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:51 pm I’m not defending Gilmore and I’m not saying he will end up being a success at Lehigh, but I do think the fact he was fired by Holy Cross means diddly squat. People conveniently forget that Bill Belichick, who many consider the best of all time, was fired by the Cleveland Browns. Joe Torre failed at several managerial jobs before he was hired by the Yankees. People can learn from their mistakes and failures, and become better people and better coaches.

The fact Gilmore was fired, by a league peer, and then immediately improved to be the best program in the conference and one of the top teams in the country absolutely means something. Especially when you research the decision making during his final few games in Worcester. He single-handedly lost the Dartmouth and Lafayette games due to egregious coaching errors which led to the team/staff quitting on him at Yale before culminating in his termination following the 32-0 no-show against Eli. He should have been canned following the Crusaders 54-14 loss to Fordham at Yankee Stadium to conclude the 2016 season. I feel bad for guys like Peter Pujols, Dom Cozier, Luke Ford, Nick McBeath etc. who had their talents wasted by Gilmore's substandard coaching.

Rationalizing Gilmore's coaching failures through the lens of Joe Torre and Bill Belichick (who both benefited greatly from professional organizational leadership, Bob Kraft and Steinbrenner post suspension hell bent on winning) has no context relative to the theater of Patriot League athletics. Also, one has to factor in the ongoing organizational decision making processes that were occurring relating to the relocation to Baltimore at the time of the BB firing. Art clearly wanted Ted Marchibroda who had a great reputation already in Baltimore thanks to his ties to the Baltimore Colts. He was coming off a memorable AFC Title game loss to the Steelers (divisional rival) when the Ravens lured him away from Indy in 1996.

There has been no improvement since 2019. Nothing has gotten better. The search for improvement has become the ultimate grasping of straws. There has not been a watershed/turning of the tide moment. They have not even been on the cusp of a "tide turning" win at this point. Everything has been far too predictable!
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:38 am

Lehigh74 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:51 pm I’m not defending Gilmore and I’m not saying he will end up being a success at Lehigh, but I do think the fact he was fired by Holy Cross means diddly squat. People conveniently forget that Bill Belichick, who many consider the best of all time, was fired by the Cleveland Browns. Joe Torre failed at several managerial jobs before he was hired by the Yankees. People can learn from their mistakes and failures, and become better people and better coaches.
Your giving Gilmore far too much credit. It’s painfully clear that unlike the counter-examples you mentioned Gilmore does NOT learn from his mistakes. If he did, Lehigh football wouldn’t be so pitiful. Maybe Gilmore will get the point after Lehigh cuts ties with him but he clearly hasn’t learned any lesson yet.
HFO

Post by HFO » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:54 am

Bring on Monmouth and Fordham. You will get what you asked for. A barometer of where Lehigh stands competitively in Patriot League. Then bring on North Dakota State to show where they stand at FCS
Championship level. It's been a mighty drop for LEHIGH as an institution. Ask and ye shall receive.

Then we shall see if Sterrett in his last year has the the decision making acumen to can this career loser midseason. I have been swayed from the school of thought let him stay through the season to the other school of thought which is send a signal to existing players that we "hear you". Gilmore is just not the type of guy who can succeed in Patriot League and FCS level as a head coach. The salvage a recruiting class by getting a guy like Phil Stambaugh in as head coach as soon as possible.
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:50 am

So now Stambaugh is the flavor of the month? I thought Cecchini was the man? Such small-time thinking.
LUopa

Post by LUopa » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:30 pm

Geoff Collins? Played at WCU, knows the PA recruiting area from Temple, GA boy with strong roots to recruiting inside the perimeter of Atlanta from GA Tech. I'm for letting TG finish out his 4th yr to see if we win Pat league...

Herm Edwards? Strong PA ties, strong recruiter...all around great guy...

Why you all not going after the OC like last year?
Hawkineer

Post by Hawkineer » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:19 pm

Win the Patriot League?😳😳😳😳

The only truly winnable game is Bucknell. Lafayette looks like it’s going to be a 6-3 10-7 barn burner. They have 0% chance against HC and slightly better than 0% chance against Fordham. Colgate - maybe a 30% chance.

Like Gilmore, feel free to keep hope alive.😏😏😏