Monmouth

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
IPSY1975

Re: Monmouth

Post by IPSY1975 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:21 pm

DF2002 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:31 pm
IPSY1975 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:28 pm Just terrible mistake filled performance

Most incredulous is announcer saying Gilmore is in his 4th year as HC

I hope this is it for him please!
The people still defending Gilmore after 4 embarrassing years are immune to facts. The administration’s acceptance of less than mediocrity is as embarrassing as the football program.

+10

I will write Classmate Sterret like I wrote the President last year...thanks for whoever got that email. Joe will have a loaded box tonight lol!

But hardly sanguine on any immediate action

Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:42 pm

Anyone who has responsibility for hiring and firing, knows that firing someone is very difficult on both a personal and emotional level. Hopefully, Sterrett has the courage to do what he believes is best for everyone associated with Lehigh Football.
LUopa

Post by LUopa » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:00 pm

I'm really concerned about the injuries at O and D line and Running Backs today. I don't believe he'll be let go until end of season. Perhaps 5-6 was best we could have done...and 3-8 could be a reality...next week will be a really big game.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:48 pm

LUopa wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:00 pm I'm really concerned about the injuries at O and D line and Running Backs today. I don't believe he'll be let go until end of season. Perhaps 5-6 was best we could have done...and 3-8 could be a reality...next week will be a really big game.
Next week will be a really big game in what sense? It’s a serious question. It’s borderline unwatchable. Will next week’s game push us beyond that border?
Go D2 and let’s play all the other PA D2’s or else step up and try to compete at this level. Perhaps the university needs to take a good hard look at how many resources it wants to commit to a football program continually losing relevance.
MH can tell you that resources are about to start getting scarce around 2nd and 3rd tier schools trying to charge Ivy League money. We want to blow a chunk on this product?
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:33 pm

The reality seems to be -- as the years and games go on -- there is a big, and widening, difference in FCS programs.

Barring some kind of amazing recovery and changes, it looks clear yet again Lehigh is no longer a serious competitor above the PL. Ultimately, that issue rests with the AD and coach.

We'll know next week how competitive LU is in the PL.

You can't blame injuries or inexperience every year.

I appreciate the efforts to schedule better teams. Everyone wants to play against the best. But no one wants players to get injured, either.

I'd like to see how Lehigh competes against Muhlenberg and Moravian. Back in the day LU played DIII schools. Could Lehigh win a DIII championship? IDK. It is highly unlikely given the barriers the PL has (roster size and redshirts -- and I'm not saying these are bad things) it will never win an FCS title. So what's the point?
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:48 pm

When Lehigh Played D3 schools like Ithaca and Baldwin-Wallace in the 1960s and 70s we were D2. I suppose we could schedule a D2 team.

Mountain Hawk. If the football team were to drop to D2, all sports would need to drop to D2. Is it certain NCAA would allow the Wrestling team in D1. Remember how the NCAA will not allow F+M to give merit scholarshiops to wrestlers.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:05 pm

They were D2 then and there was no such thing as I-AA so effectively they’re at the same level now, they just can’t compete.
I’m not sure about all sports having to compete on the same level. I didn’t think that was the case. How does Johns Hopkins pull a top 10 lacrosse team every year in D1 without anything else? A bunch of hockey teams too (Colgate for 1). Pretty sure we could still keep a top 20 D1 wrestling program and maybe keep our lax niche on the men’s side. Maybe softball and target another niche on the women’s side.
Because keeping things the way they are in football is making nobody happy and is waste of damn money.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:19 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:05 pm They were D2 then and there was no such thing as I-AA so effectively they’re at the same level now, they just can’t compete.
I’m not sure about all sports having to compete on the same level. I didn’t think that was the case. How does Johns Hopkins pull a top 10 lacrosse team every year in D1 without anything else? A bunch of hockey teams too (Colgate for 1). Pretty sure we could still keep a top 20 D1 wrestling program and maybe keep our lax niche on the men’s side. Maybe softball and target another niche on the women’s side.
Because keeping things the way they are in football is making nobody happy and is waste of damn money.
+1

I think Union College and RPI (DIII football) play DI hockey; probably others, too, but I don't think the NCAA has a DII for hockey.

I get the cache of telling kids they can play DI (FCS) football and get all the perks that come with it, but c'mon. ... the past few years don't make LU look too good.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:22 pm

To my knowledge There is no college that has 2 D1 sports in a gender and others at another level. (is there an indoor/outdoor track/XC exception

Lock Haven has men's wrestling and women's FH

JH has both M+W LAX.

I see 6 D3 schools playing mens Ice Hockey, all but from the
Liberty conference.
There are also about 6 D2 ICe Hockey programs in D1, but of course they must go up or down.
The wiki list I see does not show women
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:11 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:22 pm To my knowledge There is no college that has 2 D1 sports in a gender and others at another level. (is there an indoor/outdoor track/XC exception

Lock Haven has men's wrestling and women's FH

JH has both M+W LAX.

I see 6 D3 schools playing mens Ice Hockey, all but from the
Liberty conference.
There are also about 6 D2 ICe Hockey programs in D1, but of course they must go up or down.
The wiki list I see does not show women
I believe some schools like Johns Hopkins, and Lock Haven for lacrosse and wrestling were "grandfathered" when the rule requiring schools to have all sports in the same division occurred. At that time, those schools were already D2 or D3 in their other sports, with the outlier sport remaining "big time". I don't think we could get that now. On the other hand. Perhaps it is time for the PL to consider dropping football as a league sport and let everyone decide which direction they want to go.