Saving Gillmore's Job

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
ngineer

Re: Saving Gillmore's Job

Post by ngineer » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:32 pm

A number of years ago, Lehigh was singled out by Sports Illustrated, along withe several other schools, as having one of the best athletic programs in the nation when considering the overall success of its teams, keeping the "student-athlete" priority in that order, physical facilities, and the success of its student athletes upon graduation. Yes, the football program has suffered in wins/losses the past five years for various reasons but, overall, the athletic program at Lehigh has been exemplary. There is no objective metric. It is an opinion based on seeing how other schools perform across the board. With 26 sports, there will always be some exceptions at any one time, but the overall record of Lehigh's sports teams has been quite competitive.

Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:21 pm

ngineer wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:32 pm A number of years ago, Lehigh was singled out by Sports Illustrated, along withe several other schools, as having one of the best athletic programs in the nation when considering the overall success of its teams, keeping the "student-athlete" priority in that order, physical facilities, and the success of its student athletes upon graduation. Yes, the football program has suffered in wins/losses the past five years for various reasons but, overall, the athletic program at Lehigh has been exemplary. There is no objective metric. It is an opinion based on seeing how other schools perform across the board. With 26 sports, there will always be some exceptions at any one time, but the overall record of Lehigh's sports teams has been quite competitive.
I am pretty sure it was a news magazine like Newsweek, US News and World Report, Forbes, Not Sports illustrated nor Time. It listed 20 universities. ^ ivies (not Penn and Dartmouth), Lehigh, Duke, Northwestern, Stanford, USC, and I Guess about 9 Publics. Maybe PSU, OhSU, Mich, Cal Berkley, UCLA, Maybe NC, Ill, Minn, Wisc.Iowa. Who else maybe.

It Was Probably Spring/Fall of 2002 We had just completed the great era of LU Football. (5 losses in 4 Years, A couple top 5 wrestling placings, A couple top 20 Soccer teams. Probably women's rowing had just become the 25th full varsity sport, with three club Varsity, M Row, M VBall, M Ice Hockey. Our Graduation rates for athletes had been #1. The Eagles were using Goodman campus as Training Camp, and a Rookie from OhSU made the remark ~"LU has better facilities than we did"~

I could not find a link, so I am not sure of all schools, just remember that the magazine must have made a deliberate decision to not include the service Academies.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:46 pm

The Charlotte 49ers just fired their HC (who played at Richmond and coached at Austin Peay) after a 1-7 start in his fourth year.

Is there a recruiting advantage to dismissing now vs. after the season?
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:55 pm

Sundayamqb wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:46 pm The Charlotte 49ers just fired their HC (who played at Richmond and coached at Austin Peay) after a 1-7 start in his fourth year.

Is there a recruiting advantage to dismissing now vs. after the season?
I have no idea if this makes sense but could the AD say they aren’t renewing Gilmore’s contract now and start the search while he finishes it off? Even Gilmore has to see the writing on the wall. Would anyone believe a change isn’t eventually coming anyway.

Say it, start the search and give us more time to find a suitable replacement.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:05 pm

Agreed there. In today's world, I would think a school like Lehigh has pretty much 'impressed' on their coaches, as well as players, that such shenanigans are verboten.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:38 pm

ngineer wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:05 pm Agreed there. In today's world, I would think a school like Lehigh has pretty much 'impressed' on their coaches, as well as players, that such shenanigans are verboten.
You'd certainly hope so.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:32 pm

Do you think push-ups by football players are “shenanigans”?

Athletes need to be pushed & if coaches are challenged for making players tow the line & pay for their mistakes with “Do 10” then our country is lost. Same with the military where both mental & physical toughness must be instilled without facing charges of hazing.

Heaven help us as a country as we are doomed if coaches & military leaders are hand tied by this kind of bizarre thinking?
Lehigh89

Post by Lehigh89 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:07 am

My son was recruited by this staff and has a HS teammate playing here now as well as a few friends. I will not get into any hazing innuendos or rumors but I will say WITHOUT question aside from his putrid on field performance and inexcusable arrogance this man has NO business running a football program and for the future of the program I loved and proudly represented as well as the reputation of the university and the stand up student/athletes that represent it need to remove him immediately irrespective of the cost. Trust me the cost of keeping him around is far greater in the long run then anything gained by waiting
DF2002

Post by DF2002 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:54 am

Lehigh89 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:07 am My son was recruited by this staff and has a HS teammate playing here now as well as a few friends. I will not get into any hazing innuendos or rumors but I will say WITHOUT question aside from his putrid on field performance and inexcusable arrogance this man has NO business running a football program and for the future of the program I loved and proudly represented as well as the reputation of the university and the stand up student/athletes that represent it need to remove him immediately irrespective of the cost. Trust me the cost of keeping him around is far greater in the long run then anything gained by waiting
You’re not the first to start this. Very much doubt you’ll be the last.

Please encourage everyone you know to write Joe Sterrett. He hasn’t responded to a single person yet but he can’t ignore everyone forever. At some point, there has to be accountability but it clearly won’t come without some pressure.
Lehigh89

Post by Lehigh89 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:25 am

I have written Joe as well as called to request a meeting and without any surprise have heard nothing. I'd like to reiterate my original position which is these kids deserve better coaching but WAY more importantly better leadership and a better mentor. Tom Gilmore as a person and that reflects how he communicates with the kids is a detached arrogant jerk. Period. He absolutely disgraceful represents this university