Gilmore Out

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Sundayamqb

Re: Gilmore Out

Post by Sundayamqb » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:59 pm

Re: Lembo.

Kevin Higgins left his successor loaded, with a staff and players. Lehigh was 11-1 in Lembo's first year, followed by three eight-win seasons and a nine. In his last year at LU, he was 8-3, finishing third in the PL.

Lembo led Elon to a playoff game in his fourth season, but a 6-5 record in his fifth. Then he left before the program had some lean years.

At Ball State, Lembo started 5-6, progressed to 10-3 in his third year (the second of the team's bowl games -- and losses), finishing at 5-7, then 3-9 in years four and five. The team has had only one .500 season since he left, in 2020.

During my career, I've found there's often a reason why some people don't stay in one place too long: Some of those reasons relate to career advancement; others are reasons beyond their control. Some people have issues. Clearly some of Lembo's departures were for career advancement.

I don't know if Lembo could rebuild this program, but I think we need someone who could rebuild a tradition of excellence, like Higgins did, that sustains itself for years after he leaves.

LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:28 pm

Lembo is not the answer as there was a general sigh of relief when he left & there is a reason he moves on every couple years.

Higgins was the best but too old & too expensive.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:12 pm

Yes, Kevin is late 60's, but the type of guy we need. Good energy and positive outlook on things, but not a volcanic temper as our latest. It wears thin on today's students. Somebody like Clements who is relatively "local" and on the rise might be the type that brings the new dynamic needed. Sometimes, you get lucky and and a guy wants to stay as opposed to using the school as a stepping stone, but that's the risk. Higgins was not looking to leave. But, when the NFL came a-calling, how does one say "no"..even if it was a long shot. Had that opportunity not arisen, he may have stayed a long time. The Lehigh Valley is a great place to raise a family, and a big reason a lot of companies have located major offices here.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:18 am

When Higgins left LU for the NFL he went the Lions? Correct?

I thought maybe Gilmore did the same. I actually watched their game with Buffalo yesterday (I was a little too sick to visit anyone). And as time ran down in each half it looked like Gilmore had been hired for the new position of time management coach
RichH

Post by RichH » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:31 am

Richb-3 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:18 am When Higgins left LU for the NFL he went the Lions? Correct?

I thought maybe Gilmore did the same. I actually watched their game with Buffalo yesterday (I was a little too sick to visit anyone). And as time ran down in each half it looked like Gilmore had been hired for the new position of time management coach
Yup as the QB coach.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:39 pm

RichH wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:31 am
Richb-3 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:18 am When Higgins left LU for the NFL he went the Lions? Correct?

Yup as the QB coach.
That is something we need.. “QB Whisperer”, who can work on mechanics and how to read defenses. Also, special teams needs attention. Several games lost this year due to shortcomings.
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:06 am

ngineer wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:39 pm
RichH wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:31 am

Yup as the QB coach.
That is something we need.. “QB Whisperer”, who can work on mechanics and how to read defenses. Also, special teams needs attention. Several games lost this year due to shortcomings.
Did someone whisper QB?
Stambaugh is now 100-36 in career coaching.
Notre Dame Green Pond has less than 500 students. Only about 220 boys.
https://www.lehighvalleylive.com/highsc ... h-win.html

He knows coaching having been a player at Lehigh and in NFL practice squads for 3 seasons. He would be more than capable of making the jump.

There should no doubt be a panel of former Lehigh players from offense, defense and special teams. I would hope at least 7 of them. They should have a very serious say and input on reaching a Final 3. Then AD/President should put their careers on the line for the hiring.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:53 pm

I think Stambaugh would be an interesting candidate for OC. I don't see him coming in to administer an FCS football program from a small private high school. I recall Notre Dame bringing in Gerry Faust straight from some 'high powered' high school program in Ohio which became a flaming disaster.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:47 am

Scott Brisson hired as OC at Shippensburg HC hired him regardless of the last 4 yrs. Assuming he didn't blame Scot for those train wrecks under TG.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:15 pm

RichH wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:47 am Scott Brisson hired as OC at Shippensburg HC hired him regardless of the last 4 yrs. Assuming he didn't blame Scot for those train wrecks under TG.
The coaching community is close knit. They know and see a lot that we don't. I am sure Scott saw the handwriting on the wall and started putting out feelers late in the season. An offense if heavily influenced by the QB and his passing ability and unless you have a stellar one, you will struggle most of the time, unless you are running the wishbone/triple option. We have not been able to recruit, until this past year, a prospective stellar D1 QB. We have been starting a walk on, with four other recruited QBs on the roster! Lehigh's long streak of success is mostly tied to having strong QB play going back to McQuilken in 1971. Cahill, as a former QB and long time OC, has indicated this will be a priority. He will also need to bring in a new strong OC. Best wishes to Scott. I know a lot of the players liked him alot.