Gilmore Out

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Lehigh89

Gilmore Out

Post by Lehigh89 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:23 pm

He has been told he won't be back. Should have never been hired

lu90

Re: Gilmore Out

Post by lu90 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:02 pm

Fresh start was definitely needed. Just don't call Clawson this time.
Watcher

Post by Watcher » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:14 am

The ONLY acceptable outcome! Now, keep the “refresh” going. It’s nice to have renewed interest in Lehigh football.

I suggest a new and more varied playbook for the Offense. Greater emphasis on tackling skills by the Defense. Better Sports Marketing and Promotions, and a more welcoming atmosphere for Students to attend in person. Maybe, be more accommodating to their tailgating freedoms and beverage choices.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:08 am

Watcher wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:14 am The ONLY acceptable outcome! Now, keep the “refresh” going. It’s nice to have renewed interest in Lehigh football.

I suggest a new and more varied playbook for the Offense. Greater emphasis on tackling skills by the Defense. Better Sports Marketing and Promotions, and a more welcoming atmosphere for Students to attend in person. Maybe, be more accommodating to their tailgating freedoms and beverage choices.
+1
IPSY1975

Post by IPSY1975 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:46 pm

Lehigh89 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:23 pm He has been told he won't be back. Should have never been hired
HOORAY!!..I will sleep great tonight:)

Happy for all the players
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:34 pm

Watcher wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:14 am The ONLY acceptable outcome! Now, keep the “refresh” going. It’s nice to have renewed interest in Lehigh football.

+1
HFO

Post by HFO » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:13 pm

I still like Phil Stambaugh, between Lehigh and NFL experience, despite being a head high school football coach, he is more than prepared to lead Lehigh.

I also like Pete Lembo to return. He has been on a tour of 1 to 2 year tenures since leaving head coaching position at Ball State. He is not cracking through for FBF new head coaching position. He was very successful at I-AA/FCS level at Lehigh and Elon. I think Lehigh could be in ballpark with what he is getting paid as an assistant coach at FBS level which is in the $250k to $350k range. You offer his $300k and $50k for Lafayette win and $50k for any FBS playoff win and $100k for any FBS win. 5 year contract with rights of renewal for another 5 years.
HFO

Post by HFO » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:14 pm

The Mountain Hawks reached #2 in the national polls in September 2002, the highest ranking in program history under Lembo.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:33 pm

That would be an interesting discussion. When Pete left here, a lot of people were not sad to see him go. At the time, he was one of the youngest HC's in the country, and when hired as HC was the youngest D-I coach. That was a team effort. When Higgins caught everyone by surprise in leaving for the NFL, that was unexpected. Many envisioned Kevin being here for 20 years. Lembo, Cecchini and Gilmore approached Sterrett and told him that if he hired one of the three, all three would stay for at least two years. They worked well together, and had stellar personnel. Things started to slide a bit in 2005, and ended with a plunk with that horrible last second loss to Lafayette. Lembo had some run-ins with alums who had criticized some play calling, and took advantage of the vacancy at Elon to 'step up' to a school that was in need of rejuvenation, and was looking to go 'bigger time', and has. Pete has a turned around programs in his travels, both at Elon and then at Ball State. But since has seemed to hit a ceiling; moving every year or two as "associate head coach and special teams coordinator at several schools (Maryland, Rice, Memphis, and now South Carolina). The hourglass is running out, and I agree he might be interested in a return appearance that, if successful, could lead to his retirement. I would suspect Pete has grown in many ways over the past 20 years. I thought some of his difficulties when here was due to lack of experience in dealing with "public relations". It would be interesting to see what football alums from that era would think. Not a possibility to be immediately dismissed, but worth further research. He would, somewhat, be the opposite of a Clements who, though about the same age, seems to be going in opposite trajectory.
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:52 pm

Lembo's current salary is public. He makes $465k base at South Carolina. No idea what potential bonuses or perks might exist as well.

No way do I see Lehigh getting anywhere near that number. Not to mention a good candidate with leverage will demand a larger pool of funds for assistants to increase his likelihood of success. I think an up and comer is the only realistic option.