New FB Coach - short list?

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Asa Packer

Re: New FB Coach - short list?

Post by Asa Packer » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:46 pm

Ryan Day might be available. Not sure we can afford him.

Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:22 pm

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=ad5 ... &from=serp

For some reason they didn’t post a salary range.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:29 pm

Actually there is an estimate by indeed $53-67K.

Is that whgat is posted for Moravians coach? Even that seems awfully low
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:40 pm

What Indeed posts as their expected pay range often bears no relationship with reality, which is why they recommend that the employer post a pay range.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:04 pm

Sundayamqb wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:08 pm Well-reasoned post above by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:01 am. Nice work!

I don't know how many more years Sterrett has left at the helm, but -- from your professional background standpoint, Go Lehigh TU Owl -- should an outgoing AD sign a new football HC to a five-year contract if the AD might not be around that long?

How would his potential longevity fit into his decision-making? Would it be more collaborative?
At an institution such as Lehigh, and given Sterrett's extensive history with the university, I believe he should be responsible for the contractual details/introduction process. Beyond that, seeking advice from former, prominent players who possess a significant understanding of the landscape of FCS football in the Northeast would be wise. Sterrett should absolutely be in consultation with individuals like Mike Yadush and Lance Haynes, whoever Doc QB from AGS is because these guys can offer tremendous contextual value from their travels/media preparation.

- While I understand Lehigh's academic requirements and the PL AI (1-5 iirc rating system) there are tremendous public/private high schools within a 75 mile radius of Bethlehem. A coach has to sell what makes Lehigh great to this talent pool. Then hire a recruiting coordinator who can get kids from the Southeast again.

- First let me say, I do not advocate paying athletes via NIL funneling agencies or using the transfer portal for the sole purpose of winning. With that said, a coach has to have the guts to push the administration on some of these issues. Listen to what David Shaw and Stanford have to say in the midst of their separation. I have long been a proponent of Lehigh admitting a select few (2 or 3) transfers per year dating back a decade (RichH can attest to that). Figure out a way to make that happen. Also, work with some creative alums/well respected local businesses for department wide NIL opportunities. Lehigh has one of the highest average starting salaries for recent grads. You don't have to sell your soul on this obviously brutal topic but don't be ignorant to its realities either.

I still like Clements if Sterrett didn't burn that bridge. Jim O'Neil from Northwestern (or someone if his ilk) also intrigues me. I think a FBS assistant from a well regarded academic institution who has a grasp of the current climate of D1 athletics could also be a home run.

Someone mentioned the Fordham OC on AGS. Please no.....
LU808

Post by LU808 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:08 pm

"Achieving competitive success with the Conference (and sometimes beyond)"

This is the ONLY reference to on field success....pretty dismal expectations.
Aim for mediocre and hope you hit it....sometimes. We wil get exactly what we reach for in this case.

We're headed for another retread, has-been, or newbie.

Good God I hope I'm wrong.
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:45 pm

Have to agree it’s a pretty uninspired posting. It mentions that they prefer someone with a masters degree. What does that have to with leading / inspiring young men and striving for excellence both on and off the field?
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:22 pm

I wouldn't read much into the language of the ad.. It is mostly for HR compliance. It is virtually identical to all our coach ads.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:39 pm

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:04 pm
Sundayamqb wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:08 pm Well-reasoned post above by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:01 am. Nice work!

I don't know how many more years Sterrett has left at the helm, but -- from your professional background standpoint, Go Lehigh TU Owl -- should an outgoing AD sign a new football HC to a five-year contract if the AD might not be around that long?

How would his potential longevity fit into his decision-making? Would it be more collaborative?
At an institution such as Lehigh, and given Sterrett's extensive history with the university, I believe he should be responsible for the contractual details/introduction process. Beyond that, seeking advice from former, prominent players who possess a significant understanding of the landscape of FCS football in the Northeast would be wise. Sterrett should absolutely be in consultation with individuals like Mike Yadush and Lance Haynes, whoever Doc QB from AGS is because these guys can offer tremendous contextual value from their travels/media preparation.

- While I understand Lehigh's academic requirements and the PL AI (1-5 iirc rating system) there are tremendous public/private high schools within a 75 mile radius of Bethlehem. A coach has to sell what makes Lehigh great to this talent pool. Then hire a recruiting coordinator who can get kids from the Southeast again.

- First let me say, I do not advocate paying athletes via NIL funneling agencies or using the transfer portal for the sole purpose of winning. With that said, a coach has to have the guts to push the administration on some of these issues. Listen to what David Shaw and Stanford have to say in the midst of their separation. I have long been a proponent of Lehigh admitting a select few (2 or 3) transfers per year dating back a decade (RichH can attest to that). Figure out a way to make that happen. Also, work with some creative alums/well respected local businesses for department wide NIL opportunities. Lehigh has one of the highest average starting salaries for recent grads. You don't have to sell your soul on this obviously brutal topic but don't be ignorant to its realities either.

I still like Clements if Sterrett didn't burn that bridge. Jim O'Neil from Northwestern (or someone if his ilk) also intrigues me. I think a FBS assistant from a well regarded academic institution who has a grasp of the current climate of D1 athletics could also be a home run.

Someone mentioned the Fordham OC on AGS. Please no.....
When I saw David Shaw was newly available ...
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:29 am

Here is perennial FCS powerhouse North Dakota State Head Coach base pay and incentive.
Lehigh has to be in the $300,000 base range to get top tier FCS existing head coach or top tier Assistant Head Coach.
https://footballscoop.com/news/matt-ent ... head-coach

Lehigh needs to go with a proven winner of a Head Coach whether FBS, FCS, or DII. I personally don't think it is in Athletic Department best interest with an outgoing Athletic Director to take a gamble with an unproven assistant coach.

The new coach on Day 1 has to be program building with all facets of NCAA rules, recruiting, academic support, player development and running their system.

Lehigh is not enough of a name or powerhouse that it can draw coaches nationally, so you are likely looking at only 5% of head coaches looking to make a move of 261 Division 1 coaches and 164 Division 2 coaches. 425 total coaches, so likely 20-25 viable candidates. Now it becomes a question, how aggressive of an incentive contract you can offer to get the top tier talent head coaches to apply.

I would take a serious look at PAUL TORTORELLA! Head Coach at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. 9 years an assistant coach at FBS level with Maryland and Akron. Defensive back development and defensive coaching history is amazing.

If Lehigh can pay $400,000 for a Business School Dean that cannot get Lehigh into Top 40 MBA program, it sure as hell can afford a Head Coach at $300,000 and $10,000 per game win bonus and another bonus for player graduation rate.