New FB Coach - short list?

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Sundayamqb

Re: New FB Coach - short list?

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:53 pm

HFO wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:49 pm I am a very old man. Lehigh being a pinnacle of excellence is the return I hope for all alumni.
In my era, Lehigh was an institution on par with Carnegie Tech, MIT, Case Institute, GA Tech and others. It was an institution that produced industrialists. Men of science, also prepared for leadership within all the great industries of the time. As an institution now, I do not see our graduate at undergrad and graduate level in the Top 5% of available graduates nationally which was the norm when I began at Lehigh in the 1940s.

When the administration begins to accept mediocrity whether football, academics, or scholarly output, that is on the President. Lehigh has been lost for a decade plus. The current strategy statement and implementation plan are suspect at best. We shall see if the current President has the "right stuff" or is just another of a long sequence of mediocre leaders and administrators.

The President sending a signal that the AD must convene a committee of former players for this coach selection with the AD being a non-voting member would go a long way to getting this sinking Lehigh ship back afloat again. There have been power silos building for years with certain alumni and administrators on campus to the detriment of the institution and the history of the institution. It now must be corrected by alumni demanding a return to Lehigh standards of high peer equivalence.

On we go...
+1

Mediocrity is not acceptable -- in any aspect of the university.

ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:58 pm

Comparing Lehigh of the 1940's to today is impossible as Lehigh is no longer seen as the engineering trade school it used to be seen as. It has finally become a full and more diverse university with much stronger Business and Arts & Sciences Colleges. The face of the world has changed dramatically in the past 80 years, yet Lehigh graduates have continued to achieve great successes in a myriad of fields that were not imaginable 80 years ago. Time to move forward. That also means there is always time to reassess where Lehigh and the Patriot League belong athletically, especially in light of the growing dissolution of amateur collegiate sports and the growing irrelevancy of the NCAA, which was created almost 100 years ago to address the same problems that are occurring, again--pay for play, NIL, transfer at will, illicit recruiting. It's like the arms race that began in 1950's. Difficult road ahead, I'm afraid.
HFO

Post by HFO » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:46 pm

ngineer wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:58 pm Comparing Lehigh of the 1940's to today is impossible as Lehigh is no longer seen as the engineering trade school it used to be seen as. It has finally become a full and more diverse university with much stronger Business and Arts & Sciences Colleges. The face of the world has changed dramatically in the past 80 years, yet Lehigh graduates have continued to achieve great successes in a myriad of fields that were not imaginable 80 years ago. Time to move forward. That also means there is always time to reassess where Lehigh and the Patriot League belong athletically, especially in light of the growing dissolution of amateur collegiate sports and the growing irrelevancy of the NCAA, which was created almost 100 years ago to address the same problems that are occurring, again--pay for play, NIL, transfer at will, illicit recruiting. It's like the arms race that began in 1950's. Difficult road ahead, I'm afraid.
Are you saying then that Business School students and Arts & Science students are in Top 10% of their peer group and being hired by the best corporations or entering the top graduate schools upon graduation? Give me a break...having more students and more majors is not the end game. The university has become more mediocre on a downward path for the past 20 years.

The goal should be excellence in all things at LEHIGH. The brand has been diminished.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:19 pm

HFO is right on target. Lehigh lost its distinguished position as an engineering & Business school to become an undistinguished Liberal Arts college during the past 30 years by design.

They accomplished the objectives established by the Board of Trustees & implemented by their respective Presidents during that period. All to emulate the Ivies!!
lu90

Post by lu90 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:26 am

HFO wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:46 pm
ngineer wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:58 pm Comparing Lehigh of the 1940's to today is impossible as Lehigh is no longer seen as the engineering trade school it used to be seen as. It has finally become a full and more diverse university with much stronger Business and Arts & Sciences Colleges. The face of the world has changed dramatically in the past 80 years, yet Lehigh graduates have continued to achieve great successes in a myriad of fields that were not imaginable 80 years ago. Time to move forward. That also means there is always time to reassess where Lehigh and the Patriot League belong athletically, especially in light of the growing dissolution of amateur collegiate sports and the growing irrelevancy of the NCAA, which was created almost 100 years ago to address the same problems that are occurring, again--pay for play, NIL, transfer at will, illicit recruiting. It's like the arms race that began in 1950's. Difficult road ahead, I'm afraid.
Are you saying then that Business School students and Arts & Science students are in Top 10% of their peer group and being hired by the best corporations or entering the top graduate schools upon graduation? Give me a break...having more students and more majors is not the end game. The university has become more mediocre on a downward path for the past 20 years.

The goal should be excellence in all things at LEHIGH. The brand has been diminished.
Without a doubt yes, a Lehigh Business degree is very attractive in Corporate America. Lehigh's Accounting/Finance program is very highly ranked (Top 20). MBA program is well respected. Lehigh is on every list for Top Colleges for CEO's at Fortune 500 companies....I'll go out on a limb and say them aren't Engineers!
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:34 am

lu90 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:26 am
HFO wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:46 pm

Without a doubt yes, a Lehigh Business degree is very attractive in Corporate America. Lehigh's Accounting/Finance program is very highly ranked (Top 20). MBA program is well respected. Lehigh is on every list for Top Colleges for CEO's at Fortune 500 companies....I'll go out on a limb and say them aren't Engineers!
With a degree in economics I would still prefer the nickname Engineers. Although I would accept Clutch having a steam engine at football games
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:03 pm

Don’t mean to interrupt this lively discussion, but HELLO…….? Where’s our next football coach? Hard to believe Sterrett wasn’t making some sort of candidate list well before season end. Have we offered anyone? And maybe been turned down? It’s been 17 days, and still crickets…….

PS: At age 72 I can honestly say the incredible variety in thought, philosophy, society, and ethics I experienced at Lehigh (faculty & students) was far more valuable to me than my degree or any national ranking Lehigh attains. I’m hopeful that’s still the case for most of today’s kids.
Last edited by jimk72 on Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:14 pm

Totally agree. I'm sure Sterrett knew by mid season, that he wasn't going to retain Gilmore. For many reasons, including recruiting and the transfer portal, it's important to get the new coach on board sooner rather than later. Does anyone know where he is in the process?
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:13 pm

My understanding is that all applications had to be screened for those reflecting the primary points of experience being sought and, then, the those top 20, or so, were invited to a 'zoom' interview for the purpose of culling down that list. Once that exercise is completed, then invitation for on campus interview is extended. I would assume it would be in the neighborhood of of no more than five so, depending on quality.

In the past, it is my recall that when Higgins left, Lembo was appointed fairly quickly because it was "in-house" and he, Cecchini and Gilmore had approached Joe and said if he picked one of the three, all three promised to stay for a couple more years, which is what happened. However, when Lembo left, I seem to recall Coen wasn't named until January 3, 2006, and he was a known quantity/quality due to his prior tenure. Gilmore was officially hired on January 8. So, I think that pretty much tells us the probable timeline we're looking at.
LUFAN

Post by LUFAN » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:08 am

ngineer wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:13 pm My understanding is that all applications had to be screened for those reflecting the primary points of experience being sought and, then, the those top 20, or so, were invited to a 'zoom' interview for the purpose of culling down that list. Once that exercise is completed, then invitation for on campus interview is extended. I would assume it would be in the neighborhood of of no more than five so, depending on quality.

In the past, it is my recall that when Higgins left, Lembo was appointed fairly quickly because it was "in-house" and he, Cecchini and Gilmore had approached Joe and said if he picked one of the three, all three promised to stay for a couple more years, which is what happened. However, when Lembo left, I seem to recall Coen wasn't named until January 3, 2006, and he was a known quantity/quality due to his prior tenure. Gilmore was officially hired on January 8. So, I think that pretty much tells us the probable timeline we're looking at.
Probably correct on that timeline. Again, another horrible mistake. Being "nice" to Gilmore and retaining him through the end of the season set the program back, yet again. Fire him in October, name the interim, and begin a search. If so, Lehigh has a coach NOW who is working the portal and convincing Covid Grad Students to stay. Just more dysfunction at Lehigh and a signal that the "old guard" doesn't understand the "new game". Portal changed everything.