New FB Coach - short list?

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
LU808

New FB Coach - short list?

Post by LU808 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:58 pm

OK...So the page has been turned. Who should be on the replacement short list?

What should be their top three immediate priorities?

mookie

Re: New FB Coach - short list?

Post by mookie » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:31 pm

"Prime Time".

1. Recruit the finest athletes.
2. Attract national attention.
3. Win every game.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:40 pm

Watcher

Re: New FB Coach - short list

Post by Watcher » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:47 pm

I am leary of hiring an FCS coach who was fired someplace else. I know it’s difficult to know the circumstances behind the departure because few are willing to use the terms ‘fired’ or ‘terminated,’ opting instead to use ‘retired.’ But, a background of winning records, especially during the most recent season, should narrow it down a little.

My preference would be a successful candidate from Division II, from a strong and competitive conference. Some of those Division II teams can beat, or compete equally with, some Patriot League teams. Seems to me, a Head Coach from that Division would be enthusiastic about the challenge of winning at a higher classification. Besides, Lehigh’s underwhelming salary offer might just be enough. :lol:

Please, hire the best qualified and motivated individual regardless of their pigmentation. Seriously.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:20 pm

I agree on looking for 'up and coming' coaches from the D-II level. They have had experience with scholarship recruiting; however, they need to have appreciation for the different standards required for admission and whether they can handle that change in criteria. I am assuming with established successful record, they know their "X's and O's".

Second, is the absolute need to know how to communicate with today's 17-22 year olds. The old 'fire and brimstone' bluster does not cut it and only results in the players tuning out. Knowing how to instill discipline without the need to belittle, embarrass and tear down a kid for a mistake. At the same time, they need to know how to deal with the parents, both through the recruitment process as well as during their kid's time at Lehigh.

Third, being able to manage; both in terms of hiring and giving clear standards to staff, as well as being efficient with time/management. These players have a lot of demand on their time with academics, so their time at practice/skull sessions has to be well used. If the coaches show they're focused, the players will focus. If the coaches are lackadaisical that will spill over to the players.

Finally, a person of integrity and humility that has a sense of humor. The number one trait I always looked for in a candidate was whether they had a sense of humor and be able to accept life's obstacles and keep moving forward. The last thing we need is someone who doesn't think their sh$t doesn't smell.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:33 pm

Would a DIII coach from a quality academic institution work?

How about what we've had in the past? Ex-Ivy League assistants?

I think these things should be worked out by a committee of ex-players.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:01 pm

The demands and expectations at an FCS level school versus D-III is extreme. Recruiting very different as to the type of student athlete we need and the use of scholarships. The game is bigger and stronger. I think a DIII HC would need time to acclimate. Move to FCS as a coordinator, etc. Jump directly from DIII HC to FCS HC is too drastic, imo.
IPSY1975

Post by IPSY1975 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:17 pm

ngineer wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:01 pm The demands and expectations at an FCS level school versus D-III is extreme. Recruiting very different as to the type of student athlete we need and the use of scholarships. The game is bigger and stronger. I think a DIII HC would need time to acclimate. Move to FCS as a coordinator, etc. Jump directly from DIII HC to FCS HC is too drastic, imo.
I don't think learning a new recruiting system and how we offer scholarships would take 12 months to learn

My criteria is a Coach who has a winning record or D2 Championship or took his team to national playoffs. At very least , winning the Coference the school was in . It shows that you know how to use the talent you have at the moment. Going up a level is not going into the NFL to be honest it's installing a scheme to win games that works
And yes personality is very important..gain the kids confidence , respect . Get a guy who expects the Team to win

In short : Find me a Winner

" you are what your record says you are" ---Bill Parcells
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:22 am

Let's see who shows up for interviews
HFO

Post by HFO » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:15 pm

Mountain Hawk wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:40 pm Image
+ 1 million FNL