New FB Coach - short list?

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
LUEngineer

Re: New FB Coach - short list?

Post by LUEngineer » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:11 pm

Nice run by Holy Cross representing our league. They were competitive thru most of the game & a great run demonstrating that the PL rules do not preclude a run at the National Championship.

Tired of hearing excuses from Lehigh. Lafayette has taken the necessary step with its new coach & aggressive scheduling of FBS schools. This is our chance to do it right while pursuing a National title run in the next 5 years. If Holy Cross can do it so can Lehigh!!!

ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:07 pm

As far as I know, the football staff is still intact and working hard on the recruiting as is their job. Who will remain, if any, will likely be determined by the new HC, once he has the opportunity to meet with them and evaluate them, and compared to who is on his 'preferred list' of potential assistants created from his connections over the years. All of the these coaches who are looking to "move on up" keep a "black book" of guys they would like to bring along with them should an opportunity open itself. It's the cardinal rule if you are going to get into college coaching.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:35 pm

Interviews are going on now I'm told. More to come.
Who will remain? No idea.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:43 pm

The new HC will have a lot of extra schollie money just with the current transfers. Hope he makes good use of it.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:04 pm

Interviews are done. Speculation is a choice mDe,finalizing the paperwork. Told we should learn who next week. Most of the guessing centers on Folmar and Swanstrom. We'll soon know.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:56 pm

RichH wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:04 pm Interviews are done. Speculation is a choice mDe,finalizing the paperwork. Told we should learn who next week. Most of the guessing centers on Folmar and Swanstrom. We'll soon know.
Both can succeed at Lehigh. Swanstrom is an interesting name! He checks a lot of boxes. Granted, Penn's offense struggled at times this year despite the team posting an 8-2 record.

I'm intrigued and certainly not disappointed.....
LU808

Post by LU808 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:39 pm

Swanstrom resume is excellent. Success at every stop and level. Rebuilt Ithac College into a DIII national power. QB coaching (we sure could use that) and Recruiter @ Penn prior to IC.
Tics all the right boxes indeed.

ITHACA, N.Y. – Dan Swanstrom, the head coach of the Ithaca College football program for the past five years, has announced that he will be returning to the University of Pennsylvania to serve as the offensive coordinator for the Quakers. His last day at Ithaca College will be January 31, and he will begin his new appointment on February 1.

"Dan Swanstrom is a quintessential professional coach and educator of the highest quality," said Ithaca College Associate Vice President and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Susan Bassett '79. "He has made a lasting positive impact on our football program, athletics department, and Ithaca College in general. I want to thank him for his leadership, commitment, and professionalism as the head coach for Bomber football. His results speak for themselves but taken together with the quality of the staff he has brought to South Hill and the academic and on-the-field achievements of the student-athletes within his program, he has succeeded by every metric. Personally, I have enjoyed our work together, learned a great deal from Dan and will miss him greatly. I understand why he couldn't pass up the offer of this Division I coaching opportunity, and I wish him all the best at Penn."

Swanstrom, the 10th head coach in program history, came to South Hill on December 12, 2016, and revitalized Bomber football in five years at the helm. In four seasons of competition, Ithaca went 32-11 for a .744 winning percentage, which stands as the highest winning percentage for an Ithaca head coach.

"I want to start by thanking our director of athletics, Susan Bassett, for the wonderful opportunity at Ithaca College," said Swanstrom. "Her consistent support, friendship and leadership has fundamentally transformed me over these past five years. Also, I can't put into words how special my time at Ithaca has been. I would like to thank the players, coaches and fans for the cherished experiences and the meaningful relationships."

The Bombers went 8-3 in each of the first three seasons with Swanstrom in charge and most recently posted an 8-2 mark in 2021. IC was nationally ranked each of the past three season, reaching as high as No. 8 in the 2019 D3football.com Top 25 Poll.

IC went 3-1 during Cortaca Jug games, including a 32-20 victory at MetLife Stadium on November 16, 2019, in front of an NCAA Division III record crowd of 45,161 fans.

The Bombers earned a total of 10 All-America honors from six student-athletes since 2017. IC also received all four major individual awards (offensive player, defensive player, special teams and rookie) in the Liberty League with Swanstrom as head coach.

Swanstrom came to Ithaca from UPenn, where he served as the quarterbacks coach and recruiting coordinator. Prior to that, he was the offensive coordinator and associate head coach at Johns Hopkins University from 2008-13. Swanstrom also spent time at Redlands from 2006-08.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 3:26 pm

For whatever its worth. (Nothing.)

My first LU game watched was vs Ithaca.

We were down 20-0 then won 50-20.

A week or two later we were up abut 21 nothing and lost like 45=20

Team finished 1-8
Last edited by Richb-3 on Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:58 pm

Remarkable you would mention that game. It was fall of my senior year in high school (1967). I was a small town kid from central Pa. in the big city of Bethlehem with parents for early day admissions office interview and then a football game. Down 20-0 at halftime my dad said "great school and great band....what's not to like?"

As it turned out, it was the absolute bottom of the Dunlap era. He saved his job the next year (1968 my freshman year) by beating Laughing Yet in a huge upset. Beat Rutgers and won total of four games in 1969. 1970 not great, but huge upset of Delaware. 1971, my senior year, was the break out with Diorio, Rizzo, Hill, and McQuilken. Great games, great memories. And hopefully this year was the bottom again, with better years ahead!
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:12 pm

New Head Coach will be announced on Monday at 3 PM