Kevin Cahil

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
HFO

Re: Kevin Cahil

Post by HFO » Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:44 pm

Lehigh4Life wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:26 am Have to argue that HC got thumped in playoffs. They had the #1 team in FCS tied late in the 3rd quarter, after missing two FG. Was a one score game until 5 mins left or so. South Dakota scored with under a minute to make it 42-21 when they could have/should have just knelt on it. HC was a nationally ranked FCS team this year.

Did get to watch Yale a little on offense this year. 1600 yards passing for the Ivy League Player of the Year is not a great offense, especially when our top passer in PL was over 4k yards and the next two threw for over 2k. If you look hard at what Yale does on O, it's a lot more QB run than we are used to.

Will be interesting to see. I wouldn't expect much more than 3-8 or 4-7 in first year. OOC schedule makes it hard to have winning seasons. Will take some time to turn ship.
Losing by 21 is being thumped anyway you cut it. Excuses.

drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:00 pm

1.) Didn't we sign our last coach with former head coach experience?

2.) Apparently the only current head coaches who'd please some of you are candidates only interested in the kind of money Pete Lembo went for by leaving us.

3.) If i'm his agent, I'd give back the offer, with cynics that can't even spell his name right
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:41 am

Thank you drd5748 for speaking for most of us….
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:13 am

Lehigh always was a full first class University.

The allegation that Engineering now has to share the stage with the other colleges is only appropriate because Lehigh has greatly diminished the Engineering College reputation in their zeal to upgrade the Arts & Crafts college.

We are no longer recognized as a supreme engineering school as kids look to Bucknell instead. We have lost our “brand” to become another Ivy light eastern school.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:32 am

Well we have an engineer in charge now, so all will get better I'm sure.....

I found this old B&W article informative...

https://thebrownandwhite.com/2015/09/17 ... s-ranking/
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:42 am

I don’t get it. What do you allege the administration has done to water down the reputation of the college of engineering other than to admit women? Women now make up about 45% of the student body and, as we know, there are very few women, nationally, that go into engineering. So, given that fact, what choice did the administration have? They needed to allocate resources to arts and science and business to accommodate the women.
Last edited by Lehigh74 on Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:15 am

Meanwhile back at the football team......

Isn't the quality of assistant coaches a real key to success? It's a little early, but have we heard any rumblings on staff selections?
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:09 pm

LUEngineer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:13 am Lehigh always was a full first class University.

The allegation that Engineering now has to share the stage with the other colleges is only appropriate because Lehigh has greatly diminished the Engineering College reputation in their zeal to upgrade the Arts & Crafts college.

We are no longer recognized as a supreme engineering school as kids look to Bucknell instead. We have lost our “brand” to become another Ivy light eastern school.
+1

Two things stand out to me:

1) As LU engineer said, "We are no longer recognized as a supreme engineering school as kids look to Bucknell instead." Luckily, Lehigh has other (geographical, size) advantages Bucknell does not.

2) To me. Lehigh missed out on the tech wave, unlike places like Carnegie Mellon and MIT. While Lehigh has some outstanding integrated business/arts/engineering programs, its computer science department is not ELITE. To me, we should aspire to be as elite as CMU and MIT are in computer science and engineering -- at least CMU has a great arts school, too.

I'd love to see the percentage of top athletes who study engineering compared to the 1970s or 1980s.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:16 pm

Lehigh74 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:42 am I don’t get it. What do you allege the administration has done to water down the reputation of the college of engineering other than to admit women? Women now make up about 45% of the student body and, as we know, there are very few women, nationally, that go into engineering. So, given that fact, what choice did the administration have? They needed to allocate resources to arts and science and business to accommodate the women.
FWIW, times have changed: The percentage of women employed in engineering has gone from 2% in 1970 to 14% in 2021 -- an increase that is nothing to sneeze at. Almost half of STEM employees in biology now are women. Details below. Lehigh (and other institutions) does a decent job, I think, of welcoming female STEM students, including engineers, but it can always do better.

https://swe.org/research/2022/employment/
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:40 pm

Just because the University has allocated more funds to build up the A&S, Business, and Health Science schools does not mean it has to be a zero sum game. 50-80 years ago Lehigh was a small regional school and is now recognized as a leading national university. Moreover the metrics have changed in measuring the strengths of colleges.