2023 Patriot League Preview: Can Anyone Dethrone The Crusaders?

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
News
Site Admin

Post by News » Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:35 pm

Holy Cross’ dominance over the last four seasons really means there is only one main question worth asking in terms of a Patriot League preview:

Is it an impossible task for the other six teams to have any sort of shot to dethrone Holy Cross?
https://www.college-sports-journal.com/ ... e-preview/

RichH

Re: 2023 Patriot League Preview: Can Anyone Dethrone The Crusaders?

Post by RichH » Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:28 pm

Cross and the Patsies. LU picked 5th edging out Buckies and Hoyas
smh.
DiNucci and Jamiel on the preseason All League.
I am not as pessimistic. The cupboard is not bare. We lose a lot on D but we also return a lot. FWIW we return practically everyone on O. Truly believe better coaching is all that is required. Main issue...OL. We return all starters plus get the return of Curatolo and Kempsey.
Do we have a QB? Hopeful that Silbor takes the spot.

Camp almost here.👍
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:56 pm

Being picked for 5th is a slap in the face. I know Colgate suffered some key injuries but they still trended in the wrong direction last year against subpar competition; lost to both Lehigh and Lafayette. Heading into 2023, the Leopards and Mountain Hawks both carry more positive momentum than Colgate (relative to the PL at this present time) which will hopefully translate to further improvements in 2023.

While I still don't think Lehigh's staff is the second coming of the 1980's 49ers (and that's ok) it is a MAJOR improvement over the previous regime. As long as Cahill can establish belief and trust by displaying effective leadership practices, the pieces are in place for 5, dare I say 6 wins given a reasonable OOC. The biggest concern is definitely the OL. Coen's teams always had good OL play (minus 2014 when everyone got hurt) which allowed them to compete with the better teams in FCS. Getting that pedigree back is an absolute must in order to return to national relevance ( or compete with HC and even Fordham). Overall, I still like Lehigh's team speed/athleticism relative to their PL brethren. If the QB play improves there are plenty of weapons to hang 30+ on several opponents this year.

Also, it is imperative that Lehigh gets some of its swagger back! As Lafayette fans used to call them, "The Taunters"! Lehigh is at its best when they have that perfect double-edge of confidence and disrespect! Confidence to know they can crush the FCS "less thans" combined with a chip on the shoulder that manifests from being a "lowly PL program" when playing CAA and MVFC teams.
Lehigh74

Post by Lehigh74 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:28 am

In his limited playing time last year Silbor showed that he has a strong arm and is nimble enough to run when the opportunity presents itself. He has the skills to be an above average quarterback. Good quarterback play can go a long way towards helping turn the program around. We will have to see if he is able to win the job.
Lehigh89

Post by Lehigh89 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:11 pm

Had some kids on the team at my house other night( som
Plays in league and knows all the kids from HS)... they all know Silber is the better more talented qb and if healthy no doubt will be under center day 1
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:02 pm

Lehigh89 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:11 pm Had some kids on the team at my house other night( som
Plays in league and knows all the kids from HS)... they all know Silber is the better more talented qb and if healthy no doubt will be under center day 1
Thanks 89
No question he has the best skills. Now to show he an execute and make the right reads.
Lehigh89

Post by Lehigh89 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:26 pm

Agreed and great point...skill and practice reps don't always translate to success in game action. Can also say kids say totally different vibe. More organized, more detailed and better tempo in practices. Kids are excited. Some solid playmakers, some glaring holes but I think we will see a more competitive team on every level.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:01 pm

I am hoping our special teams focus improves under Kashurba. I would would guess at least three games each year are either won/lost on special teams, especially the kicking game. Punting is extremely important for defense/field position and place kicking for XP and FG. I know our one PK showed an excellent leg in terms of distance, I hope that proper technique/timing is improved for accuracy.

I am very optimistic about the "positive vibes" I am hearing from the players. Coach Cahill stressed from the beginning that it all starts with culture. Everyone pulling for each other. I agree with TU-Owl, that 5 or 6 wins is doable as long as focus is kept on what's important, and we stay healthy. It's been awhile since we had an intact good OL for an entire season. A good OL with our ability to run and throw should be scary to any opponent.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:47 pm

ngineer wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:01 pm I am hoping our special teams focus improves under Kashurba. I would would guess at least three games each year are either won/lost on special teams, especially the kicking game. Punting is extremely important for defense/field position and place kicking for XP and FG. I know our one PK showed an excellent leg in terms of distance, I hope that proper technique/timing is improved for accuracy.

I am very optimistic about the "positive vibes" I am hearing from the players. Coach Cahill stressed from the beginning that it all starts with culture. Everyone pulling for each other. I agree with TU-Owl, that 5 or 6 wins is doable as long as focus is kept on what's important, and we stay healthy. It's been awhile since we had an intact good OL for an entire season. A good OL with our ability to run and throw should be scary to any opponent.
And OL has depth. 7 returning starters. An O geared to the skills we have,not to ones we used to have.
Rewatched .much of last season. Painful. We did leave 3 Ws on the field. STs a part of that as well as ridiculous red zone O. The play calling was predictble,vanilla and absurd.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:33 pm

RichH wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:47 pm
ngineer wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:01 pm
And OL has depth. 7 returning starters. An O geared to the skills we have,not to ones we used to have.
Rewatched .much of last season. Painful. We did leave 3 Ws on the field. STs a part of that as well as ridiculous red zone O. The play calling was predictble,vanilla and absurd.
Key question is whether new OC Dan Hunt will make a difference.