Lehigh Hopes to be Ahead of Schedule in Holy Cross-Led Patriot League Race

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Sundayamqb

Re: Lehigh Hopes to be Ahead of Schedule in Holy Cross-Led Patriot League Race

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:27 pm

Lehigh74 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:34 pm He is definitely doing some interesting things. Yesterday, he had some retired special operations military personnel parachute in and talk to the team about preparation, training, teamwork and leadership.
But can they tackle? lol

ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:24 pm

Had the opportunity to be present for the "Jump In" by the retired team of Leap Frogs and Seals. A high energy event. After lunch, they spoke to the entire team as mentioned in prior post as well as taking a lot of questions from the players. A lot of focus on on what being a team is all about, focus on being accountable and having your brother's back. Also found out that Coach took all the players car keys. No disappearing after practice with just one or two others. Everyone travels to practice on the buses from the dorm..TOGETHER. Everyone travels back home...TOGETHER. Everyone eats TOGETHER.

The next day, took in the first 'game style' scrimmage. Was pleased to see the energy and focus. Prime example...both Brown and White squads were on the home side. A pass play occurred near the far sideline and the receiver fumbled on the hit. The ENTIRE sideline yelled "BALL!" There were no small pockets of players socializing. They were all focused on what was occurring on the field. All members had their helmets on. I got to speak with some after the session, and you could tell that they have bought in to the new direction. They like the coaches and believe they can turn this around.

We certainly have some talent. As noted by others, depth could be a problem if the serious injury bug bites. But with an experienced OL, some very good RBs, and two WRs, both who could be all-league, we should move the ball. On D, we appeared athletic. Secondary made some nice plays, also had some learning events. The D front was moving and held their own. About 15 players did not dress due to various injuries, but not of lengthy duration. A number of freshmen made good impressions on both sides of the ball. Oh yeah, ...what about QB? At the moment, Silbor started with the first O, Perri the second. He definitely has a 'natural' delivery. It is not an effort for him to throw long. A very fluid and quick release. Most importantly, you could see him going through his progressions. Yes, the OL gave him time. He also had a couple run plays designed. Perri may be a more natural runner, but his seems inclined to start running if the first option is not there.

Special teams are unchanged from last year. Garrido from Notre Dame did the PK and showed a strong leg. Hopefully, more series next week. And Ben did the punting. A few nice ones in the 45 yard range. Scrimmage only went three quarters, followed by some drills. This will be repeated next Saturday in Goodman at 12:07 p.m. (Same time they will be kicking off the Villanova game).

There is no question that after less than one week of camp that there is a lot of work to be done. The scrimmage was officiated, and there were a number of mistakes that need to be cleaned up, but the energy was there. A number of the upperclassmen, I sense, have a chip on their shoulder about their preseason 'ranking' ahead of only Bucknell and Georgetown. Hopefully, we get to see some significant improvement on timing and execution.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:49 pm

Thanks ngineer. Fantastic report. Really impressed, albeit surprised,at where team already is after a week. Now for repetitions and accountability. Think Coach K will get the 2ndary ready. We lost our 2 best DBs but the unit had fatal issues with big plays.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:53 pm

I am optimistic that the secondary will get the job done, especially if we can get a decent pass rush. After all the DB's need a QB under pressure in order to make plays, especially INTs. The did come up with a few INTs on Saturday, but also let one deep occur. The have a number of good athletes. Next Saturday should be more of a 'measurement day' to see where we are at after almost two weeks of camp. Several frosh on both sides of the ball saw significant time on Saturday.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:26 pm

Great report, ngineer!

Everyone keeping his helmet on, eating and traveling together is great. Football, perhaps more than any other sport, requires everyone to work in unison to complete plays successfully. Gotta have hope when such discipline is installed/returns in a system.
Lehigh89

Post by Lehigh89 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:46 pm

As I previously mentioned coach needs some time to fully change the culture and bring in some of "his guys" but unlike under the previous regime this team will play hard through the whistle irrespective of score. They will be well organized disciplined and compete. No idea, none, how that will translate but no matter the score I think for the first time in awhile we will see real progress and a team we can be proud of
mookie

Post by mookie » Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:19 pm

Shades of the 1954 Junction Boys. Bear Bryant was hired to coach Texas A&M and he felt that many of the players on the team were weak and not properly trained or coached, and needed a camp away from the distractions on campus. He ran off over 1/2 the team and in year 1 they were 1-9. But 7–2–1 in year 2 and, and 9–0–1 in year 3.
Chalkeye

Post by Chalkeye » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:28 pm

How can it be shades of the Junction Boys when you bitter "fans" were up TG's backside for 4 years for his antiquated techniques and hard driven training methods? And sorry '89 that you couldn't be proud of previous teams because of their record, but Cahill's inaguaral team's record isn't important, it is just important that progress is being shown? How long is that attitude going to last? You realize many of the same kids that are playing this year were on last year's team that you couldn't be proud of? I saw every game last year, and one thing that stood out to me was the consistent effort by kids who had every reason to not exert that effort after some of the disappointments they suffered through. I am optomistic about this season and the team seems to be responding to the fresh approach from the new staff. What is disappointing to me is the "Fellowship of the Miserable" on this message board that vaccillates between their Glory Day reminiscing and their disdain for TG that spills over to their questioning of the drive and committment of the players on the field, coupled with the air of Owl-like omniscience on all things FCS.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:24 pm

I don't see this as "shades of the Junction Boys". Cahill has certainly taken a different tack on how to motivate his new charges. But, today's college athlete doesn't buy into the old brutal ways that we old farts were accustomed to 50 -60 years ago. A new means of communication is required and, hopefully, Cahill is able to make connections that TG was unable to achieve. One does not lead by degrading players in front of their fellow teammates. There is a fair amount of returning talent on this team, and how soon some of the newbies can acclimate and mature will go a far distance in determining our success which, in this first year of a new regime will be determined by more than W's and L's. I think we all have some expectations on what this season will look like based upon the schedule. Key will be winning those games we should win, fighting like hell in games we are overmatched and grabbing some wins that could have been losses, in those "toss up" games. We beat ourselves on at least 3 games last year, primarily due to lack of focus and preparedness. That is where I want to see us improve the most in this first season.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:30 pm

ngineer wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:24 pm I don't see this as "shades of the Junction Boys". Cahill has certainly taken a different tack on how to motivate his new charges. But, today's college athlete doesn't buy into the old brutal ways that we old farts were accustomed to 50 -60 years ago. A new means of communication is required and, hopefully, Cahill is able to make connections that TG was unable to achieve. One does not lead by degrading players in front of their fellow teammates. There is a fair amount of returning talent on this team, and how soon some of the newbies can acclimate and mature will go a far distance in determining our success which, in this first year of a new regime will be determined by more than W's and L's. I think we all have some expectations on what this season will look like based upon the schedule. Key will be winning those games we should win, fighting like hell in games we are overmatched and grabbing some wins that could have been losses, in those "toss up" games. We beat ourselves on at least 3 games last year, primarily due to lack of focus and preparedness. That is where I want to see us improve the most in this first season.
Good post 'ngineer! I don't see anyone being bitter or misplacing emotional energy as the season dawns. I think everyone is excited to see what the new era of Lehigh brings! I admit, my disdain for Gilmore goes back several years to his time in Worcester. As for the present? I am cautiously optimistic! I think the roster is comprised of talented, well rounded kids who naturally want to operate in an environment that allows them to achieve their individual and collective best!