Scrimmage

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Re: Scrimmage

Post by RichH » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:40 am

RichH wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:14 pm On Twitter. LFN did one with Cahill. TV
69 did one with Cahill Harris and DiPietro.
Chuck just added a video interview of DiPietro on Twitter. Impressive young man.

ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:49 pm

I've seen all three scrimmages. First, the final scrimmage was not full contact, no one being taken to the ground, which is difficult to gauge as a lot of runs by Garcia were blown dead upon initial contact, when we all know his game is YAC. To me, both QB's have shown Improved sharpness over the three weeks. I agree, Silbor appears to have more 'upside' with his stronger arm and quick release. A nice 'touch' of droppinging the ball in the basket 40 yards down field. Perri also seems stronger than last year, but I suspect we may well see both in game one, depending on situations.

The key for us is staying healthy. We have some very good athletes, we are thin on experience, especially in the secondary. Good athletes, but raw. We will need excellent pressure on the VU QB so as to not have the DBs have to cover for excessively long routes. We got burned badly last year, down there, and throughout the season, despite some otherwise good play. It is frustrating to play hard and seemingly have an opponent stopped, but then give up a 30 yard completion.

Intensity seems to have improved.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:35 pm

ngineer wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:49 pm I've seen all three scrimmages. First, the final scrimmage was not full contact, no one being taken to the ground, which is difficult to gauge as a lot of runs by Garcia were blown dead upon initial contact, when we all know his game is YAC. To me, both QB's have shown Improved sharpness over the three weeks. I agree, Silbor appears to have more 'upside' with his stronger arm and quick release. A nice 'touch' of droppinging the ball in the basket 40 yards down field. Perri also seems stronger than last year, but I suspect we may well see both in game one, depending on situations.

The key for us is staying healthy. We have some very good athletes, we are thin on experience, especially in the secondary. Good athletes, but raw. We will need excellent pressure on the VU QB so as to not have the DBs have to cover for excessively long routes. We got burned badly last year, down there, and throughout the season, despite some otherwise good play. It is frustrating to play hard and seemingly have an opponent stopped, but then give up a 30 yard completion.

Intensity seems to have improved.
Thanks ngineer. O seems pretty set with some depth in each position group. QB has 2 viable options. I hope Silbor gets the nod. As you say a much higher upside. Perri is functional if not exceptional. Put him behind a decent OL,the O will move. Silbor inexperienced but he can stretch the field. As we saw last year,Ds packed the box not fearing our pass game.
DL and LBs will be good. 2ndary lost a lot. Returners did get PT . Lack of Communication hurt us as well as inexperience as players bit on run option plays resulting in TDs.
Agree ,whoever Coach K starts is going to need help from the front 7. Pressures and sacks.
Come Saturday we'll see where we are.