Merrimack

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
RichH

Merrimack

Post by RichH » Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:15 pm

Notes are up. No change listed in 2 deep. Gonna hooe Jablonski and Pads just got dinged.🤷‍♂️👍

Local82

Re: Merrimack

Post by Local82 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:24 pm

They played tight with Holy Cross until late.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:09 pm

Didn't Merrimack surprise Holy Cross last year with a win? They will certainly be a handful. Even the year we beat them, four years ago, it was their first foray into D-I FCS and we only won 10-3. My sense, especially going to Andover, is that we are undogs. But, the second week of the season is usually the best measure of whether and how one's team can improve. We are definitely missing speed. Garcia and DiPietro are good runners. Garcia is powerful and DP is shifty, but neither has blazing speed. I would hope we go with more of quick opening type running. The delayed handoffs in the backfield just don't make it. I understand it gives the back the option to take what opening is there, but I'd like to give a shot to some blasting ahead firing off the ball and see if either back can get 3-5 yards. (which would be good). Might also take a little pressure off the pass the rush.
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:09 pm

ngineer wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:09 pm Didn't Merrimack surprise Holy Cross last year with a win? They will certainly be a handful. Even the year we beat them, four years ago, it was their first foray into D-I FCS and we only won 10-3. My sense, especially going to Andover, is that we are undogs. But, the second week of the season is usually the best measure of whether and how one's team can improve. We are definitely missing speed. Garcia and DiPietro are good runners. Garcia is powerful and DP is shifty, but neither has blazing speed. I would hope we go with more of quick opening type running. The delayed handoffs in the backfield just don't make it. I understand it gives the back the option to take what opening is there, but I'd like to give a shot to some blasting ahead firing off the ball and see if either back can get 3-5 yards. (which would be good). Might also take a little pressure off the pass the rush.
4 pt spread as of now.
Unless you have a a speed back or a good running QBthe delayed handoff serves no purpose except to serve up other RBs on a platter for the D. Run options on sprinters are an option.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:35 am

RichH wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:09 pm
ngineer wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:09 pm Didn't Merrimack surprise Holy Cross last year with a win? They will certainly be a handful. Even the year we beat them, four years ago, it was their first foray into D-I FCS and we only won 10-3. My sense, especially going to Andover, is that we are undogs. But, the second week of the season is usually the best measure of whether and how one's team can improve. We are definitely missing speed. Garcia and DiPietro are good runners. Garcia is powerful and DP is shifty, but neither has blazing speed. I would hope we go with more of quick opening type running. The delayed handoffs in the backfield just don't make it. I understand it gives the back the option to take what opening is there, but I'd like to give a shot to some blasting ahead firing off the ball and see if either back can get 3-5 yards. (which would be good). Might also take a little pressure off the pass the rush.
4 pt spread as of now.
Unless you have a a speed back or a good running QBthe delayed handoff serves no purpose except to serve up other RBs on a platter for the D. Run options on sprinters are an option.
Yes.
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:12 pm

Someone here mentioned a few weeks ago an I-back set. Never saw it on Sat. 😡😡😡
mookie

Post by mookie » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:31 pm

Losing to Merrimack would be rock bottom.
Hawktalker

Post by Hawktalker » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:54 pm

Merrimack is no pushover. They were ahead of Holy Cross at the half last week. They beat Holy Cross two years ago. No Patriot League team has done that recently.

Lehigh can't go up there thinking "they're just an NEC team."
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:27 pm

Old Timer wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:12 pm Someone here mentioned a few weeks ago an I-back set. Never saw it on Sat. 😡😡😡
Cahill said we would during his offense preview video.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:35 pm

mookie wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:31 pm Losing to Merrimack would be rock bottom.
No Mookie. This is no longer the cupcake version of the NEC. It is a full schollie league for all intents. Merrimack has competed better vs Holy Cross than we have.