Cornell

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
News
Site Admin

Re: Cornell

Post by News » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:33 pm

Lehigh Fights Hard, But Can’t Overcome Early Deficit in 23-20 Loss to Cornell

With Cornell in their first game of the season, and Lehigh playing its third, Cahill’s desired game script for his Mountain Hawks probably would have involved establishing some long drives on offense, jumping on the Big Red early before they could get acclimated to game speed, securing a multiple score lead, and forcing Cornell to play catch up. Instead, the opposite happened.
Read more: https://www.college-sports-journal.com/ ... o-cornell/

ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:31 pm

No question the game was lost in the first 10 minutes of the game. Cahill, himself, was obviously upset with the way they came out flat. I noted he called an entire team circle at the end of the first quarter and held a fairly animated 'meeting of the minds'. I also saw him go over to those players that made some early and costly mistakes and spoke with them. No scene, but making direct points as well as still supporting. The way we played the last three quarters showed an ability to make adjustments as in both scheme as well as personnel. This team does not have the needed depth of talent to come out and blow people away. The OL is undersized and thin in terms of experience. Hopefully, Padezanin heals up soon as his experience in the center of the OL is important. However, I was pleased to see some very good play by a number of freshmen and sophs who made some very nice plays. Yoder's running was an eye-opener, Humphrey made some very nice catches, and DJ Brown showed some very good closing ability and hitting from the secondary. Silbor has the physical skills but is in need of seasoning, but he did make some good decisions in going through his checks and in throwing the ball away when no one was open. We have known for some time that was going to be a tough year and when you are thin, mistakes will be magnified. Lehigh has not had a 'stretch' like this since 1962-69, affectionately referred to as "The Desert Years". I am looking for improvement each week and not the same mistakes. We have already received some impressive commitments from current high school players, one being the QB/SS from Palmerton who is one heck of player. With some good recruiting we can get back to where we want to be. But it doesn't happen "overnight' at this level.
Last edited by ngineer on Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
mookie

Post by mookie » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:09 am

Shedeur Sanders makes $4.3 million a year and drives a Maybach to class.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:13 am

Well, I am glad to see he is 'going to class'.... ;)
LUopa

Post by LUopa » Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:24 am

Frankly I'm surprised we are doing as well as we are considering what has happened in the last 5 years. TG ran off almost the entire Jr class. And a ton of kids that Andy recruited. We have 4 kids recruited as D lineman playing on O line. The Defense was horrible in 2018 if you remember the Holy Cross game. It got a little better with TG. Then turned into a disaster in 2022.
We currently have 4 kids from Defense on GA state, 1 at Ball state and 1 on W. Mich. from last year. We all knew the backend on defense and the o line would be challenge this year. I love the coaching message from coach Cahill. I see a very bright future. Silbor can be a RS freshman this year. The freshman are playing and making contributions. Special teams is 100 percent better than last year where we didn't have a coach. I believe Hunt will get this thing going...5-6 would be an excellent result.
HFO

Post by HFO » Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:51 pm

But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes.

Master recruiting a 50 mile radius of Bethlehem. Then move out to 100 mile radius. You capture about 20% of high school football players in the United States. You only need to land 6 very good players. As in All-State/2 or 3 star recruits. What was Lehigh formula in past? Recruit best QB and WR you can get ahold of.

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area is recruiting nationwide for about 2 positions. OL and TE. Philadelphia/Cherry Hill/South Jersey has produced some of the best RB in the nation for the past 10 years. Lehigh Valley exports most of its talent, but not always the case. Plenty of local stars stayed home for Lehigh U when it was good.

District 1 has produced some of the best defensive backs in the country for 40 years. Newark, NJ/North and Central NJ produces lots of skill positions and LB.

You got to sell guys on the margin of D1 FBS that they will play immediately as freshmen at Lehigh on 2-deep. You get them to go FCS.

New coach seems to be doing a lot right. Hopefully recruiting within 100 mile radius of Bethlehem is priority. The idea that you go to GA, TX, FL and get the 30th best DB or whatever is better than 2nd or 3rd Team PA or NJ is ridiculous.

Even Saquon Barkley had 0 D1 offers until Franklin got ahold of tape on him. Then it instantly changed his mind.

The top recruiter better be hitting every high school in NY, NJ, PA, OH that makes State Semifinals and be recruiting athletes who come from programs that win. Winning is an attitude. The willingness day in and day out to do more and more precisely than your competition. Whether in sports or in business.

Nova loss shows how far we have to go in recruiting in just the 50 mile radius. Let alone competing against a Missouri Valley Conference program. Merrimack and Cornell were close wins and losses and that will show coaches and players on the margin where they are deficient.

Now it gets interesting. Does the team rise to the challenge or does it collapse at the next challenge. Better teams are ahead. Maybe we get to 4 wins beating Georgetown and Bucknell, but there are no sure things ahead. The team has to compete hard and be playing from a lead.

As discussed on wrestling, unless Lehigh sets a min SAT with preferred admission for exceptional talent (whether music, writing, sports, or whatever) it will be hard to field teams that are competitive in the conference let alone nationally. So give football 6 preferred football admission per year with min SAT of 1100 or name the number. You are not going to get a roster of 1000 with all over 1300 SAT that can compete at a nationally level.

Thus Lehigh administration has to decide whether we will be mediocre in all things or outstanding in all things. Then give a certain percentage of admissions to prove themselves right to have been admitted and graduate.
adcs2

Post by adcs2 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:21 pm

HFO, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

The idea that you go to GA, TX, FL and get the 30th best DB or whatever is better than 2nd or 3rd Team PA or NJ is ridiculous.

Seems to be working for Lafayette. I am sure Lehigh wouldn't mind having Ntantang (GA), Meiti (GA), White (GA), Forney (TX), Smallwood (GA), Olivas (TX), Johnson (TX), O'Hearn (TX) and Joseph (TX). If you don't know the names you will find out in November.

Even Saquon Barkley had 0 D1 offers until Franklin got ahold of tape on him. Then it instantly changed his mind.

Not true. PSU got in late but Barkley had already committed to Rutgers and then flipped.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:37 pm

"So give football 6 preferred football admission per year with min SAT of 1100 or name the number." Isn't this a violation of the Patriot League entrance standards? It was my understanding that schools like W & M and Richmond would join for football in "a country minute" if it weren't for the Patriot League's academic policies.
RichH

Post by RichH » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:47 pm

jimk72 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:37 pm "So give football 6 preferred football admission per year with min SAT of 1100 or name the number." Isn't this a violation of the Patriot League entrance standards? It was my understanding that schools like W & M and Richmond would join for football in "a country minute" if it weren't for the Patriot League's academic policies.
Unless the practice has changed ,recruited players are in a separate pool from.the rest of the class. Each year HC and Admissions will negotiate the number of slots available for the HC. Walk are in the class pool.
Under PL AI rule each "recruited,"group must be vetted by the PL for compliance.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:56 pm

jimk72 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:37 pm "So give football 6 preferred football admission per year with min SAT of 1100 or name the number." Isn't this a violation of the Patriot League entrance standards? It was my understanding that schools like W & M and Richmond would join for football in "a country minute" if it weren't for the Patriot League's academic policies.
My recall is that Bill & Mary backed out of the original Colonial Conference when the alums revolted in finding out that the new conference would not allow scholarships. It was still 'grant in aid' back then until Fordham forced the issue 10-15 years ago. Now that we have scholarships, and from what I know of both UR and WM, I doubt the PL presidents would be opposed to them joining the PL. Indeed, I think it would enhance the PL brand if they did.

Lehigh is very particular in pursuing 'national' recruits. We have some regional pipelines in FL, GA, TX, NC due to some alumni connections over the years. With so much video today, someone can ID a quality player and with research determine if his parents/guardians are interested in their son getting a quality education. We have a number of out of state players in this freshman class that expressed their interest because of the ability to get a degree that meant something and still play a level of football that if one is good enough, you will be found.

However, the main focus must be the 1-2 hour drive from Bethlehem. IF we win a good number of the battles in that region, the size and skills of the team will be improving.