Fordham

Back-to-back PL champs 2016 and 2017.... but need to get back to relevance in the national FCS scene.
Hawkineer

Re: Fordham

Post by Hawkineer » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:13 pm

That loss is squarely on Cahill. Their best unit all day was the offense. You’re 1-4. Want to instill some confidence in the team, go for it. Fordham was going to score whether they had to go 65 yards or 95 yards. The defense was a sieve the second half. The only chance was to use clock and get up by two scores.

In the post game interview, he said that the team needs to learn how to finish. That applies to the coaching staff as well. Very disappointed in Cahill and his lack of aggressiveness down the stretch.👎🏻

mookie

Post by mookie » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:35 pm

Cahill talks about building a culture. Christ..
Local82

Post by Local82 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:41 pm

LU808 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:39 pm WHY did we punt on 4th and 1 ?
We gave their offense who played a much better 2nd half the momentum to take down the field! Why keep your tired D on the field and expect them to stop FU?
I think it was 4th and 3? But still a bad move.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:04 pm

Local82 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 5:41 pm
LU808 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:39 pm WHY did we punt on 4th and 1 ?
We gave their offense who played a much better 2nd half the momentum to take down the field! Why keep your tired D on the field and expect them to stop FU?
I think it was 4th and 3? But still a bad move.
Yes it was 4th and 3, which makes going for it tougher; but, I agree that my inclination was to roll the dice with our offense considering the way Fordham was moving the ball. However, I also understand the move based upon our punter's ability to drop punts inside the 20, and he did come close to nailing the corner, but missed. If we miss the first down, at almost mid-field, it was almost a given absent a turnover, that Fordham gets within field goal range. They have an excellent kicker. Still, I would have gambled on Silbor to do something with the O.

However, this game was lost on so many places. Some horrendous tackling that resulted in Ram QB getting out of what should have been several large losses via sack, and other non 'wrap up' tackling that yielded several key first downs on Fordham scoring drives. While Fordham helped our cause with some stupid penalties, we shot ourselves a few times as well. Our backs ran hard, but not always smart, or they lack having 'wide' vision. Several times DiPietro and Yoder had huge areas to run just slightly to the left or right of the designed play. While they gained a bit of yardage, they could have had 15 and first downs. The problem in a game like this is that every mistake and decision is magnified. But what today showed, is that our guys fought like hell and were in the game to the end. Yes we have blatant weaknesses, but in spite of them, we were still there at the end. I still think we can win several games this year, but even if everyone ends up like this, then I see that good change is occurring. We have some very good and very young players out there. Mistakes will be made, but so long as the effort is there, I will be there rooting for them.
Hawkineer

Post by Hawkineer » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:19 pm

It was 4th and 1, not 4th and 3. Ball was on the 38 and they had to get to the 37.
adcs2

Post by adcs2 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:48 pm

I think you guys are talking about two different drives. There was a fourth-and-one with 5-1/2 left from the Fordham 38. Definitely looks bad because the Lehigh punter put it in the end zone for a Net-18.

Then there was a fourth-and-four from their own 47 with like 55 seconds left. I think we all agree you should punt in that situation.
Hawkineer

Post by Hawkineer » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:21 pm

adcs2 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:48 pm Then there was a fourth-and-four from their own 47 with like 55 seconds left. I think we all agree you should punt in that situation.
+1
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:34 pm

Sundayamqb wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:39 pm Fordham's D is pretty awful, but no way LU scores 34.
I'm officially eating crow.

Chuck nailed it.

What a difference a week makes.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:52 am

Sundayamqb wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:34 pm
Sundayamqb wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:39 pm Fordham's D is pretty awful, but no way LU scores 34.

Chuck nailed it.

While I often question Chuck, i knew better given the enigma that is Fordham football under Conlin. You never know what exactly is going to happen with them quarter to quarter let alone game to game. It was nice to see the offense breakout this week but where was this last week? Monmouth's defense is not very good either!

If nothing else, this team HAS some talent! The narrative that Gilmore left it filled with a bunch of D2 and D3 players is a gross misrepresentation of those currently donning the brown and white. There are plenty of pieces in place that can be key contributors in a turn around. Don't sell the players short! It simply comes down to the coaches putting them in a position to succeed. Consistency in all aspects of in-game management is still sorely lacking. Hunt and company also have to get Silbor to his ceiling so there can be some plan at QB for next year. He reminds me far too much of Colgate's quarterbacks under Hunt; inconsistent with either a low ceiling or high floor? As it is, hopefully something more! Otherwise, one of the in-coming freshman needs to get a shot...
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:41 am

Go Lehigh TU Owl wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:52 am
Sundayamqb wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:34 pm

Chuck nailed it.

While I often question Chuck, i knew better given the enigma that is Fordham football under Conlin. You never know what exactly is going to happen with them quarter to quarter let alone game to game. It was nice to see the offense breakout this week but where was this last week? Monmouth's defense is not very good either!

If nothing else, this team HAS some talent! The narrative that Gilmore left it filled with a bunch of D2 and D3 players is a gross misrepresentation of those currently donning the brown and white. There are plenty of pieces in place that can be key contributors in a turn around. Don't sell the players short! It simply comes down to the coaches putting them in a position to succeed. Consistency in all aspects of in-game management is still sorely lacking. Hunt and company also have to get Silbor to his ceiling so there can be some plan at QB for next year. He reminds me far too much of Colgate's quarterbacks under Hunt; inconsistent with either a low ceiling or high floor? As it is, hopefully something more! Otherwise, one of the in-coming freshman needs to get a shot...
Thanks owl. Spot on analysis. Talent is there. Depth is not. Silbor. Has talent but not yet confident in it. Upside? Sure.
Have my questions with Hunt but he does call a good game. Been quite a while since we had that.