Syracuse

Can Lehigh get back to the NCAA postseason?
grad81

Syracuse

Post by grad81 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:48 pm

Hofstra canceled their game at Syracuse this coming Saturday. Lehigh trying to fill the slot since they have an open date. Would be an awesome opportunity. Lehigh now #10 in the rankings and Quint has them at #6.

TMH

Re: Syracuse

Post by TMH » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:03 pm

Syracuse was Army's signature win so a game like this may serve as a measuring stick to how we compare to Army.
I would also like to see this game played because Lehigh is on a roll and I hate having the opportunity to cool down.

Our next scheduled game is Colgate who recently postponed their game with Army this past weekend. I hope they are able to play in 2 weeks. I haven't heard anything about their game with BU this weekend.
RichH

Post by RichH » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:56 pm

And we are #10. Agree Cuse wpuld be a great game and actimely measuring stick for lax.
grad81

Post by grad81 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:05 am

Lehigh has posted on their twitter feed an invitation to find an opponent for this Saturday. Syracuse is still a possibility apparently depending on their comfort with our Covid testing protocols. Hopefully a decision will be made very soon. It is my understanding that the PL does not allow for overnight stays. If that is the case, the 3.5 hour bus ride up to Syracuse and the return all in one day would make for a very long day.
grad81

Post by grad81 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:50 pm

Syracuse ducks Lehigh and adds Holy Cross to their open date on 3/20. I guess they were afraid they were going to get their butt kicked. It appears Lehigh was willing to make the trip so the only way to look at it is Syracuse wanted no part of the Hawks.
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:06 pm

grad81 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:50 pm Syracuse ducks Lehigh and adds Holy Cross to their open date on 3/20. I guess they were afraid they were going to get their butt kicked. It appears Lehigh was willing to make the trip so the only way to look at it is Syracuse wanted no part of the Hawks.
Strangely, I just looked at the Syracuse schedule and it has Holy Cross for 3/20 and then marked Postponed.
Can you give me an insight if this is correct?

BTW, just looking at the Syracuse schedule, they don't seem to be in the habit of ducking anyone. They have 2 games with Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Notre Dame 2 X and Albany
grad81

Post by grad81 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:56 pm

Syracuse was supposed to play Hofstra on 3/20 but Hofstra canceled presumably for Covid reasons so Syracuse had an opening. They filled it today with Holy Cross. The lacrosse world was begging for them to add Lehigh and apparently LU was willing to make the trip. Supposedly Syracuse was evaluating Lehigh’s Covid protocols which you would think would be the same for Holy Cross. So why avoid a top 10 match up? Obviously, being in the ACC, Syracuse plays a very tough schedule but this looked like the stars aligned for a great game. Perhaps they did not want to get beat twice at home by two different Patriot League teams. Unless there is more to the story (and there could be), it looks like Syracuse had nothing to gain by playing Lehigh and risking a loss so they decided to go with the safe bet.
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:36 pm

Sorry........I was going by Inside Lacrosse which obviously had it wrong showing Syracuse-Holy Cross PPD.

What I didn't realize was that Holy Cross had their opening because Army had to cancel which apparently means that the Army-Colgate game was cancelled due to Army having a case on the team. I wonder how that will impact Army's readiness for the rest of their schedule. We've seen what impact shutting down has had on other sports. Also will Army make up those games and when?
grad81

Post by grad81 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:52 pm

Unfortunately this is the reality that every team is facing with Covid. Navy shut down all of their sports teams for 10 days. It will be a miracle if Lehigh gets all their games in over the course of the season. Hopefully they can keep all of their players and coaches healthy. Hard to say if missed games can be made up.
grad81

Post by grad81 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:07 am

With Lehigh’s football game at Colgate postponed for this Saturday due to a Tier 1 Covid case at Colgate, let’s hope it doesn’t get passed to their lacrosse team or the 3/27 game will be in jeopardy.