Lehigh-Lafayette

Can Lehigh get back to the NCAA postseason?
TMH

Lehigh-Lafayette

Post by TMH » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:21 pm

So hopefully this has been a wake-up call.

Not sure what to make of this game except that the energy and enthusiasm on the Lafayette side was palpable from the opening whistle and the team fed off of that throughout the game. Lehigh, on the other hand seemed to be sleepwalking through it. Give Lafayette credit.

grad81

Re: Lehigh-Lafayette

Post by grad81 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:09 pm

Not Lehigh’s better efforts either game against the Pards. They sleepwalked through the 3Q on Friday and then emptied their bench too early. Today, I think it was a combination of playing down to the level of their opponent and playing the same team within 48 hours. Give Lafayette credit, they had nothing to lose and played like it. With the huge discrepancy in face off wins/possessions, neither game should have been close. That said, Lehigh is going to have to ratchet up their intensity heading into the PL tournament. They seemed to struggle a little against Lafayette’s zone defense and shot the ball poorly, especially today. Also, the defense gave Lafayette way too many good looks/high percentage shots. They need to get back to playing the kind of defense they showed earlier in the year against Loyola and Army. As a side note, Schelling limped off the field late in the game today. Hoping that he is okay and it is nothing serious.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:34 pm

Yes, I watched both games and saw a distinct let down. Coach obviously pulled the starters too soon on Friday night, and the discrepancy was readily seen when reinserted. Saturday, I think the quick 6-1 lead also led to complacency. We have seen too many games in many sports when one team jumps out to a quick and significant lead, they ease off the gas; mostly in terms of focus, and once that happens, it is difficult to get the 'mojo' back. A lot of ground balls and the D seemed a step slow. I would think Coach will have this addressed. This group, especially with the senior leadership that returned, should not let that happen. They have created a "historical" season in Lehigh Lacrosse. Not since 1960 has a Lehigh team sat at 8-0. Winning the tournament and getting a seed in the NCAA would be terrific, but winning in the NCAA's is a distinct reality if this team wants it bad enough. They are a fun group to watch. GO LEHIGH!!
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:17 pm

Agree ngineer. I'm not sure if you attended the games or watched it online but I was impressed with the overall enthusiasm of the Lafayette bench even when they were down early and it was contagious to those on the field. The same could not be seen on the other side of the field.

BTW, one can't appreciate Sisselberger without watching him. He is intense and simply willed Lehigh to victory on Sunday. I'm really not sure however how many years he has left. Inside Lacrosse has him as a redshirt freshman. He is listed on the roster as a junior. I'll guess that his freshman counts despite not really being on the team. Last year was a sort of a wash year that technically didn't count unless one wants to graduate on time.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:07 pm

Yes,Sisselberger is not only quick but strong. A great combination. One thing about lax is winning that faceoff. So important in controlling the time of possession. Also interesting that he is a local kid and wanted to stay in the Valley. Not sure how heavily recruited he was in HS, but we sure got good one. I would suspect he has two more years, if he wants them.
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:54 pm

True story, at least to my recollection :-).

In 2016, Lehigh got a verbal commitment from Angelo Petrakis, a 5 star recruit who was considered to be one of the best F/O guys in the country. In 2018, he decommitted and went to Cornell. That's a double burn for me :-). Shortly after that, I ran into one of the Asst coaches on campus as he listened to me whine about the move. He said, don't worry we got Sisselberger.
Although Mike had great #s, I'm always skeptical about the overall quality of play in the Lehigh Valley. A few weeks later, Southern Lehigh played William Penn Charter and Mike went up against Gavin Tygh who was the #25 recruit in the country the following year. As I recall, Tygh won that matchup by a significant margin and my concerns increased.

Cornell is sitting out the season TYgh is splitting time at the F/O at Virginia and Sisselberger is leading the nation in F/O won and GB. Shows you how little I know.

BTW, Lehigh has a pretty highly rated F/O guy coming in next from SC named Sean Dow. I'll guess we'll see how he develops. He should learn a lot ovr the next 2 years.

https://www.christschool.org/article/se ... se-players
LU808

Post by LU808 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:24 pm

Tygh is splitting time at the F/O at Virginia
VS
Sisselberger leading the nation in F/O won and GB.

Wonder how Sisselberger would fair against stiffer competition @ VA

TOWSON - received votes
Loyola (Md.) - received votes
#11 Syracuse
AIR FORCE
#4 NORTH CAROLINA
#2 Notre Dame
RICHMOND
#4 North Carolina
#3 DUKE
UTAH
#11 SYRACUSE