Rutgers and around the Patriot League...

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
jimk72

Rutgers and around the Patriot League...

Post by jimk72 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:27 am

Its finally here after a dreadful baseball season for Phillies fans. Welcome to the 2021-22 season with an evening in New Brunswick.....

I have no insight or crystal ball but if we keep this under 10, I call it a win. If we keep it under 20, most sports book will call it a win in the first year you can legally bet on Lehigh in Pennsylvania. At least on paper, I love this freshman class. Tonight we will hopefully learn a bit about what we have.

Last night Navy with mild a upset over Virginia. Bucknell looked better than their fan base expected. And the rest of the Patriot games went pretty much as expected.

See you all tonight at THE BIG10 network, alternate channel 1.

jimk72

Re: Rutgers and around the Patriot League...

Post by jimk72 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:33 pm

Strong opening effort……. BUT WE SHOULDA HAD THIS ONE!!!!!!! Bodes well for the future. 22 turnovers probably the difference. Don Parolin must have hit the weight room. 14 rebounds and 13 points. But I’m sick that we didn’t win this one. See you all Saturday at Stabler……
phillychuck

Post by phillychuck » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:04 pm

What's wrong with Karnick? Wearing a face shield, only played 7 minutes...
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:13 pm

We didn't have the game available on TV, so i don't know about a face shield. But I think you mean Nic Lynch..... had 7 minutes. I don't know. I am also puzzled. Karnick is in his second year at Boston College, his 5th year of eligibility.... he transferred before last season.
TMH

Post by TMH » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:22 pm

phillychuck wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:04 pm What's wrong with Karnick? Wearing a face shield, only played 7 minutes...

I think you mean Lynch. Apparently dinged. I take it Tan isn't back to being able to play either. Suddenly, a real strength has become a weakness at least depth wise.
lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:23 am

Saw game from seats at the RAC and was pretty impressed. First off, Rutgers isn’t a great team. But, Lehigh outplayed them in the first half. Lehigh’s defensive intensity was excellent in opening 20 minutes. Rutgers, after likely getting an earful at half, cranked up their D in first 5 minutes of second, and I thought Lehigh was done. But, they fought back and took a late lead.

Rutgers did a poor job of getting the ball to their playmakers and shot the ball horrifically. It was laughable how bad their shooting was. But, Lehigh got dominated in the post in the second half. In OT, our offensive execution was really poor and several bad shots. But, bodes well for PL season. Rutgers fan were in disbelief all night that the game was so tight. And, many groans in the final minute that Rutgers could actually lose. So, that was fun.

Individually, Lynch played sparingly, and looked very out of sync with mask. Freshman PG Knostman is a nice little player. Very good passer, understands game and distribution. Has sneaky length. Will have solid career. His backup TWS is very athletic, but out of control, and some bad turnovers and fouls. He doesn’t understand that he’s not going to finish at the rim in college, especially vs a Power 5. Higgins looked pretty good in his minutes, not shy to put it up. MW played very well, until OT when he struggled. DP was OK, but looked bad in stretches, but his numbers were good. Too many turns though. JA gave them very solid minutes scoring wise. Biggest weakness that I saw tonight was shooting the 3 ball. Don’t think there is really a consistent shooter in the group. MW shot it the best, but I don’t see a great shooter on the roster who can space the floor. Lot of candidates, but need somebody with a knockdown stroke.

All in all, good performance. Team looked well coached. Aggressive on defensive end, good box outs and close outs. Switched up a showed some zone in 2nd half. Good night from BR.
phillychuck

Post by phillychuck » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:35 am

jimk72 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:13 pm We didn't have the game available on TV, so i don't know about a face shield. But I think you mean Nic Lynch..... had 7 minutes. I don't know. I am also puzzled. Karnick is in his second year at Boston College, his 5th year of eligibility.... he transferred before last season.
Yeah, I meant Lynch. Needed his height and strength at the rim tonight.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:32 pm

From the NY POST - November 11th
By Associated Press

Rutgers staves off upset-minded Lehigh in overtime

PISCATAWAY, N.J. — Steve Pikiell thinks the question of whether center Cliff Omoruyi can fill the void left by Myles Johnson can be put to rest. Omoruyi had 16 points with nine rebounds and Ron Harper Jr. had 14 points with 10 rebounds to lead Rutgers past Lehigh 73-70 in overtime in a season opener on Wednesday night.

“We don’t have to have any more talk about the five spot,” coach Pikiell said of his 6-foot-11, 240-pound sophomore. “I think we’re in very good hands. I love this guy. He’s as good a worker as we’ve ever had in the program. He’s getting better and better every day.”

Omoruyi had a pair of dunks in overtime, one coming on Rutgers’ first possession to put the Scarlet Knights up 65-63, and they never looked back. Lehigh led by as many as seven, 36-29, late in the first half when Jake Betlow made a 3-pointer assisted by Marques Wilson.

Rutgers went into the half trailing 36-31.Paul Mulcahy made a layup at 18:17 to tie it at 37. Rutgers would retake the lead at 41-40 on a Geo Baker jumper at 16:41. It was the Scarlet Knight’s first lead since 10-9 early in the first half, and they would not trail until Lehigh took the lead, 62-61, on a layup by Ben Knotsman with 1:34 remaining. Baker would tie the game at 63 on a step back jumper with 45 seconds left.“ We just ran a little zero play, and I just go to my spot,” Baker said. Baker, who has a history of making big shots for Rutgers, missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer on an isolation play to send the game to overtime.“ I think everyone thought it was going in for sure,” Baker said. “I was telling the dude when I was dribbling it that I was going to make it.”

Lehigh was led by Wilson, who had a game-high 21 points. Rutgers was 1-of-13 from beyond the arc.“I thought we had some good looks, and we’re gonna have to make those,” Pikiell said. “But I like that we still figured out a way to win a basketball game early in the season.”