Lehigh Has Turned Into a Bad Basketball Program

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
lehigh90

Re: Lehigh Has Turned Into a Bad Basketball Program

Post by lehigh90 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:00 pm

Nope, he has won one PL regular season title in 14 years (CJ/Gabe/Holden's freshmen year with Zahir Carrington and Marquis Hall as seniors), and two tournament titles (same year as the regular season title and then CJ/Gabe/Holden's jr year). Brett has never won the PL (regular season or tournament) without CJ McCollum.
[/quote]

I knew they won one earlier because I was at the game, but it was 2004 and Billy Taylor. Brett was only an assistant.
Last edited by lehigh90 on Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:01 pm

If they lose to UMES today at home, get the coaching search consultant on the horn.
lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:30 pm

And, they lost.

This feels like rock bottom.

AD needs to dial 1-800-GET-LOGIE
TMH

Post by TMH » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:50 pm

Something compelled me to look at Point Loma Nazarene University basketball which is still apparently finding their footing after only getting 11 games in last year. (8-3)

So far they are 4-4. They recently left the frigid confines of San Diego and headed south for 3 games in Hawaii. It appears that Hawaii Hilo, Hawaii Pacific and Chaminade are all in the PACWEST conference, so this appears to be an annual event. I hope he answers the phone at the luau he is apparently suffering through :-)
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:42 pm

lehigh90 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:30 pm And, they lost.

Seems like it's been rock bottom past few years, then they get some PL wins.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:24 pm

As a Lehigh Valley resident and season ticket holder, I witnessed this debacle in person. Can you say Sal Mentesana??????? What an ugly, listless effort. No offensive identity. 18 to 8 in turnovers....again!!! In fairness, MDES is not the usual MEAC pushover. They did beat a bad A-10 team (Fordham) and lost to St. Joe's by 2. But you have to beat a team like this when you're at home.

Brett is a well respected, great guy and a wonderful ambassador for Lehigh. He needs a position in the athletic department........ other than head basketball coach. Logie is a west coast guy. He'd be tremendous but I'd question his sanity if he left San Diego weather for this. MDES head coach is Jason Crafton. Would he consider a new gig?
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:32 pm

jimk72 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:24 pm As a Lehigh Valley resident and season ticket holder, I witnessed this debacle in person. Can you say Sal Mentesana???????
Sal Mentesana, Tom Pugliese ... yada ... let's hope it's not that bad.
CHIP72

Post by CHIP72 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:31 pm

lehigh90 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:30 pm And, they lost.

Rock bottom can be summed up in two words - Sal Mentesana.

Things aren't good right now though. I mentioned this maybe a couple weeks ago, but sometimes good coaches are successful for a period of time but then become stale. That IMO has happened with Fran O'Hanlon over in Easton, happened with Bruiser Flint in University City (Drexel) a few years ago, and appears to be happening with Brett Reed (who IMO did a good job in his first dozen years as Lehigh's head coach until the sharp downward turn the last three years). It could be time for a change after this season in south Bethlehem.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:11 pm

I don't follow BBall closely. But

Would it be practical to Kick Dr Reed upstairs, to replace Dr Sterrett as AD. I kind of like the Idea of a Dean of Athletics, which would require an AD with a doctorate (PhD or DEd) But I have no idea if Brett could be good at the position, or if he would want it
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:29 pm

A few have suggested Reed take a role in the athletic department, why do people think he would be good at that? I'm not saying he wouldn't, but what in his background suggests he would be good at fundraising, or hiring coaches, or operations?

I've never hear any of the other coaches in the department mention him as a mentor or resource. His scheduling is fine but nothing to get excited about. He doesn't (to me) seem like a engaging guy that would do well with donor or students. Am I missing some obvious sign he would thrive in a departmental role?