Eastern

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
lehigh90

Eastern

Post by lehigh90 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:59 pm

OMG!!

We are losing to D3 Eastern at the half!

34% from field, 18% from 3. Horrific.

lehigh90

Re: Eastern

Post by lehigh90 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:08 pm

Squeezed it out in second half. But, after watching Maryland game on TV and now this you have to ask yourself are we really recruiting D1 talent.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:56 pm

The perimeter shooting is abysmal. It's one thing to have an "off night", but virtually all our nights are "off". Mechanics? Confidence? simple hand/eye coordination? Reed is a 'Dr.'...He needs to be able to diagnose the problem, prescribe the remedy, and follow up on the patient following instructions. The CJ days seem so long ago...
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:50 pm

Was at the game last night attended by the very loyal few.

Do we have Division One talent? If you believe the info at Verbal Commits, we have plenty. The 13 scholarship players on the Lehigh roster, on average, had 6+ D1 offers. Even if V.C. isn't perfect, that many coaches can't all be wrong. I don't believe in the ESPN star ratings, but we have 3 ,Three Star recruits. Lynch, M. Wilson, and T.W-S.

Talent really doesn't look like the problem. In my opinion, player development is an issue for sure. Who has gotten noticeably better since coming to Lehigh? Maybe J. Wilson? Maybe Taylor?

On the Eastern game, to be fair, we just got off the surprise bus ride to and from D.C. And no matter how much Brett preached about Eastern's being really good at their level, all our guys knew they were D3. And this was Eastern's chance to beat a D1, and they played their guts out. BUT STILL!!! We sleep walked thru the first 10 minutes. Most of the game we had no idea how to run an offense against their pressure man to man. Often looked confused breaking the press.

Offensive, defensive system coaching as well as in game coaching??? You tell me.... Do we really suck? Probably.
But somehow we took Rutgers to O.T., and later they beat Purdue(#1). And we trailed by just 3 at Maryland at the half.

It seems to me we have talent. Coaching?

P.S. One of the few positives from last night was Higgins. On post game interview he confessed never being considered for point guard at any level before a week or so ago. 18 points, 3 assists, and only 2 turnovers in 36 minutes, mostly at point. He looks promising.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:57 pm

jimk72 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:50 pm
Do we have Division One talent? If you believe the info at Verbal Commits, we have plenty. The 13 scholarship players on the Lehigh roster, on average, had 6+ D1 offers. Even if V.C. isn't perfect, that many coaches can't all be wrong. I don't believe in the ESPN star ratings, but we have 3 ,Three Star recruits. Lynch, M. Wilson, and T.W-S.
You are absolutely correct to ignore the ESPN ratings, which are an absolute joke. They often assign three and four star ratings based on a player getting a phony offer in 8th or 9th grade (an offer that is only for show and can't be accepted) and then never change them. I have seen four stars who aren't starting-level D1 talents. And tons of three stars with no D1 offers at all.

For example, here are two recent PL recruits:

1. Sean Good (LC) - 4 stars from ESPN. Has played about 10 mpg during his LC career.
2. Christian Lorng (AU) - 4 stars from ESPN. Played less than 10 mpg for AU last year as a junior after two years at a juco.

It was obvious that Good was not a great recruit well before he got to LC, and I got attacked by a couple of LC fans for posting accurate info on that subject on this board. They apparently thought his 4 star ranking made him the next Mike Muscala (who was a 2 star btw).