Crash & burn.....

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
jimk72

Crash & burn.....

Post by jimk72 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:14 pm

It was apparent last night that we were no where near ready mentally for the most important game of the year. Hats off to the opposition who had nothing to lose and everything to gain. This is the latest example of a wonderful human being who can recruit great kids with talent. And has consistently earned the reputation of not being able to coach his way out of a wet paper bag. Or develop talent.

With the completion of his 16th year of loyal and honorable service to Lehigh University it is time for our coach to take his talents into athletic administration.

lehigh90

Re: Crash & burn.....

Post by lehigh90 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:30 pm

Kick him upstairs and call Logie. He had another huge year.
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:35 pm

Hiring Logie would be awesome and the first interesting thing to happen with Lehigh basketball since CJ. Reed has never been to the NCAA tournament without a future 20 ppg NBA scorer on his team.

It's just so boring year after year of the same stuff. Boring schedules, mediocre records, no fans, nothing to get excited about.
GoLU90

Post by GoLU90 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:10 pm

Reed has his faults but unless Lehigh decides to suddenly up the investment in athletics, I don't think he should go yet. Colgate is going to lose Langel which opens the league back up. It's a dangerous would out there these days when you think the grass is greener on the other side. Mid-Majors often find out it's not and they pony up millions. A school with LU's stubborn athletics budget has an even greater chance of ending up wandering in the wasteland. And before anyone says that's what we've been doing for the past decade, you're wrong. We could be Holy Cross.

This is putting aside the fact that the Patriot League continues to slide down the conference rankings. There are plenty of better opportunities for young guys trying to become coaches. They can hop right over the PL.

Gilmore needed to go because that was all but non-competitive football. The same isn't true about hoops as bad as things appear sometimes.

I grant Logie would be an interesting hire if Sterrett made a move.
Sundayamqb

Post by Sundayamqb » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:33 pm

I used to watch LU basketball all the time, first in person, then online.

Starting with the Kempton era, this team has so dramatically underperformed year after year I stopped watching. After seeing their early season performance this year, then romping over DIII teams, I wrote them off again until their mid-season run.

The first game I watched they played poorly. It was downhill after.

I'm just a fan.

All I can imagine is coaching -- the one constant all these years.

I'm just a fan. I don't know what handcuffs Reed has from his bosses or how much he has meant to his players and university. I just know I'm done watching, and from afar, it looks like he should go from a game-coaching standpoint.

But I don't know the details. They're just too tough to watch against even mediocre competition. It gets back to my old argument about if you can't win (yes, they can often compete against mediocre DI teams), why not just play DIII?
lehigh90

Post by lehigh90 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:12 pm

Investment isn’t our problem. I believe that we rank near the top of athletic spending in the PL. Facilities are not deficient. At this level, where talent can be marginal, coaching matters a great deal. You are bringing in a bunch of 1-2 star recruits and sometimes you get a 3 star. It’s about putting your players in a position to win ballgames. Personally, I think Reed’s prowess as a recruiter has also dropped way off (Our freshman class scored 68 total points this season). We are giving scholarships to some D3 athletes and it shows. You can’t miss that badly on guys. The skill sets just aren’t there in some guys. Don’t get me wrong, we have some good players, but not enough. It’s tough to recruit at Lehigh’s level, but he took a very solid 3 guard core this year, and got nothing out of it. A loss early to a weak team at home in a pathetic effort.

Programs and coaches get stale. And the Lehigh program is just that, stale. You shouldn’t get 10 years of misses. Success is measured in championships and he has 2 in 16 years, both with the best player in conference history. It needs a boost of energy from a young, eager coach, an assistant from a solid program or a young D3 winner. Otherwise, we are mired in mediocrity.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:20 pm

++++++
StablerBum

Post by StablerBum » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:48 pm

Good post. I also wonder how much recruiting success was really due to Reed. IMO, the guy does not seem like anyone likely to sell an 18 year old his vision. He's about as pedantic and academic a basketball coach as I've ever seen.

Let's remember he has guys like Matt Logie, Antoni Wyche, Ryan Krueger, Kyle Griffin, and others cycle through his staff over the years. I'm not close enough to know if any of those guys had undue influence on closing recruiters, but they certainly seemed more charismatic than Reed.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:14 pm

It does appear recruiting last year was a miss, though based on his list of offers I stil hold out hope for Momah. The three commits for next year also look interesting. But I totally agree that usually kids get here and they don’t get better.

I also still have hopes that coach Jenkins will eventually be a positive influence in development and overall. He had a great track record as a program builder as a high school head coach in Memphis, plus a great resume as a player.