What's wrong with LU MBB?

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
adcs2

Post by adcs2 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:04 pm

And Lafayette is 3-0? Didn't see that coming.

jimk72

Re: What's wrong with LU MBB?

Post by jimk72 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:47 am

Bucknell and Lafayette plus two young successful coaches equals Patriot league changing of the guard.....2024.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:17 am

Wow....that seems a bit pre-mature

Lafayette is 4-12. Bucknell is 5-11. Sounds a bit early to anoint anyone IMO.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:21 pm

I'll grant you that generally speaking the league stinks this year. Kenpom has the Patriot league as 30th out of 33 D1 conferences. But relative to our peers, how about Lafayette over Colgate in Hamilton? Bucknell beats Penn State at Sate College? Then Wednesday night I was in Stabler and watched the Bison strong arm us for 30 minutes until we finally woke up and made a game of it. They're getting better. We're not.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:06 pm

First...it was nice meeting you last night. :-)

I'm reminded of the old adage that every once in a while, a blind squirrel will find a nut.

Basketball can be a funny game.
Bucknell beat Penn State by shooting an astounding 58% from the field including 48% from the 3. Those games happen. Both were well above their seasonal average (42%-34%). The result they win that game. Two games before that they lost to Marist by 24. We beat Marist.

Lafayette defeated Colgate in much the same fashion that Bucknell beat us. They dug themselves into a 14 pt deficit in the 1st half going completely cold from the 3 and were not able to quite claw themselves back. BTW, Bucnell made 50% of their 3s against Lehigh.

As to the original question, this team, for whatever reason can't seem to play a complete game. There is always that period of 5-6 minutes, where nothing goes right that upends an otherwise well played game.

Just my opinion.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:45 pm

Justafan wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:06 pm First...it was nice meeting you last night. :-)

I'm reminded of the old adage that every once in a while, a blind squirrel will find a nut.

Basketball can be a funny game.
Bucknell beat Penn State by shooting an astounding 58% from the field including 48% from the 3. Those games happen. Both were well above their seasonal average (42%-34%). The result they win that game. Two games before that they lost to Marist by 24. We beat Marist.

Lafayette defeated Colgate in much the same fashion that Bucknell beat us. They dug themselves into a 14 pt deficit in the 1st half going completely cold from the 3 and were not able to quite claw themselves back. BTW, Bucnell made 50% of their 3s against Lehigh.

As to the original question, this team, for whatever reason can't seem to play a complete game. There is always that period of 5-6 minutes, where nothing goes right that upends an otherwise well played game.

Just my opinion.

One thing to keep in mind is that Lehigh returned FAR more talent this year than did Lafayette or especially Bucknell. That’s why Lehigh was picked for second in the preseason poll, and by Pomeroy, while Lafayette was picked to tie for seventh and eighth, while Bucknell was picked to finish ninth. Not only did Bucknell finish dead last in the league last season, but they lost their top three scorers, who also were their top three players in minutes played. In total, four Bucknell players transferred to teams that were upgrades.

I don’t know anything about McGarvey, but I do know that John Griffin right now is far better with X’s and O’s than his Brett Reed. Bucknell fans can only hope that over time Griffin recruits as well as Reed has.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:47 pm

Hello Just A Fan! It was great meeting you as well. My wife and I had a wonderful time with great people. We look forward to this every year.
adcs2

Post by adcs2 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:30 pm

Lafayette is 4-12. Bucknell is 5-11. Sounds a bit early to anoint anyone IMO.
I agree that the Patriot League appears to be as weak as I can remember.

That being said with LCs point guard starting for College of Charleston and their small forward starting for Fordham because of the portal, I expected the Leopards to challenge HC for the basement in the league.

Instead, after beating Navy today, the Leopards have a shot at starting 5-0 when they play in Worcester on Wednesday.

I am sure the Mountain Hawks will be much better when Higgins returns. Not anointing anyone but I am surprised at LCs hot start in the PL after a winless OOC schedule.
Local82

Post by Local82 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:15 pm

Basically, the PL is a D2 league this year.
It could be Exhibit A when the big conferences demand the end of autobids.
adcs2

Post by adcs2 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:34 pm

A home loss to HC????

Stunned.

I am beginning to agree with those saying that Doc must go.