The Reason for Struggles?

Young team returns in 2018-2019 with tons of promise. Can they get back to the NCAA Tournament?
lehigh90

The Reason for Struggles?

Post by lehigh90 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:25 pm

I think it is pretty apparent that there are two of the main reasons this team has fallen off over several years.

1) Reed's inability to bring in frontcourt players.
2) Inability to recruit 3 point shooters

He has recruited a lot (a real lot) of guards. Many of the guards have been good players. But, going back now for a period of time, the frontcourt players have not been at the same level. And, the frontcourt guys we have recruited have struggled with injuries, and many have transferred going back. Of the guards we have brought in, I can't recall many who were great 3 point shooters. Who was this team's last great outside shooter? In a game dominated by the 3, I would say our last great shooter was probably the NJ kid who transferred to NC State (Andree). I think he transferred about 5 years ago. Big men, going back now awhile, who was a big time player? After Kempton, who was a great player, we had Karnik and Lynch who were solid, and now Parolin. But, it has been pretty slim, and no All-conference type big men. If you look at this year's team, we are starting a walk-on in the frontcourt, who has given the team solid minutes. But, he's starting over several recruited players who are not contributing. Parolin has had a solid career in the frontcourt. I am hopeful that Momah continues to progress.

Sundayamqb

Re: The Reason for Struggles?

Post by Sundayamqb » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:32 pm

No depth?
RichH

Post by RichH » Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:18 pm

We've had our fair share of good fontcourt players. At this level they are rare tho. This team? Young athletic,Inco sistent but major issue is the lack of any shooters. We have scorers but not one consistent outside shooter. Damn near fatal in today's Bball world.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:18 pm

Sundayamqb wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:32 pmNo depth?
Major point. The moment we have significant injury that sidelines a good starter, like this year, we don't have enough depth to maintain overall team quality.
Old Timer

Post by Old Timer » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:31 am

Same story for many years. Doc needs to go if LU cares a lick about Men's BB. At this point they'd be better off playing at Grace (if that is still possible). I have not gone to a home game since CJ, and have no plans to until something changes.
jimk72

Post by jimk72 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:22 pm

To begin with and in fairness to our coaching staff, loosing Higgins and Sinclair is a killer. Yet somehow we took Colgate right to the end before losing by 3, AT COLGATE! So we must have some depth & talent.

I agree with some of the above poster's comments but.... I don't recall many major transfers other than recent graduates who took their Covid year elsewhere as grad students; Evan Taylor(Vandy) and Nic Lynch (san Diego).

As to recruiting I think Brett and Harry recruit as well as anyone in the league. Momah had a huge, impressive offer sheet. Parolin is a decent 3 or 4 in the Patriot league. Higgins and Whitney-Sidney were both pre-season all league I believe. Whitney-Sydney was a 3 star out of prep school. In this year's class I think we have a keeper at least in Ingram based on his play since the injuries. Whitlock, certainly a dud so far, was Mr. Minnesota basketball last year. Pike, who knows....

To summarize my thoughts, and obviously I ain't no expert; the recruiting has not been the problem. It’s the talent has been incredibly under coached both in player development and in game X's and O's. And oh by the way, ask our neighbors how they feel about the value of quality coaching after their regime change....7-0 in league with the roster left over after the debacle they had last year. I'll be even more concerned if their new guy can recruit as well as he coaches......

Sorry... I'll get down off my soap box now....but we need a change.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:11 pm

jimk72 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:22 pm
I agree with some of the above poster's comments but.... I don't recall many major transfers other than recent graduates who took their Covid year elsewhere as grad students; Evan Taylor(Vandy) and Nic Lynch (san Diego).

As to recruiting I think Brett and Harry recruit as well as anyone in the league. . .
1. Transfers over the past nine years who were not grad students listed below. All of them were either starters or played significant minutes relative to their class. I don't know anything about their reasons for leaving but all of them would have been contributors going forward.

- Tyler Jenkins
- Brandon Alston
- Matt Holba
- Pat Andree
- James Karnik
- Shane Whitfield
- Caleb Bennett
- Miles Simelton (not a star but did play 15 mpg at PG as a soph)

2. Agree about Reed's recruiting.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:39 pm

Bison_137 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:11 pm
jimk72 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:22 pm

As to recruiting I think Brett and Harry recruit as well as anyone in the league. . .
1. Transfers over the past nine years who were not grad students listed below. All of them were either starters or played significant minutes relative to their class. I don't know anything about their reasons for leaving but all of them would have been contributors going forward.

- Tyler Jenkins
- Brandon Alston
- Matt Holba
- Pat Andree
- James Karnik
- Shane Whitfield
- Caleb Bennett
- Miles Simelton (not a star but did play 15 mpg at PG as a soph)

2. Agree about Reed's recruiting.
I believe that Brandon Alston and Pat Andree both graduated from Lehigh in three years. Rumors were flying that Karnik also went that route.

Kenzie Kramer absolutely graduated last year and she is listed as a senior at Clemson.

I think Jenkins, Holba, Bennett and Simelton may all have had a case of home sickness since they all transferred close to home.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:00 pm

Impressive win at Holy Cross with two starters down. Ironic about our concerns over depth as the bench really played well today. The senior from Georgia with his first start gets a double-double. Momah was strong and the freshmen guards are quick. Still the foul shooting was atrocious and hard to explain. Regardless, they have lost a lot of close games this year and with the way the PL looks, this could still be a successful season if the injured can return soon.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:28 pm

Chebuhar, I believe has started 9 of the 19 games this season. His playing time went way up when Parolin was injured. Ironically, he came here as a PWO. I don't know if that is still the case.

TWS makes his living driving to the basket, although he is not always under control. That leads however to a lot of foul shots. Unfortunately, he is only making about 64% of them.