Lehigh-Lafayette

We ain't rebuilding anymore. But we need a little more to take the next step.
TMH

Lehigh-Lafayette

Post by TMH » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:57 pm

Well...the 1st Lehigh sporting event of this school year is in the books and the women pulled out an exciting 81-75 win in OT

Just a few observations

1.) The part of the game I thought Lehigh would be rusty at due to Covid was assists and turnovers since there are a lot of new faces in the starting lineup and little time to develop the chemistry. That turned out not to be true. They put together 18 assists as compared to 15 TOs.

2.) The perimeter defense was pretty solid, forcing 27 TOs including 12 steals.

3.) The area that I thought we might have a big advantage this year was perimeter shooting. It was awful early in the game but was a savior near the end. It's really early but production from the Minnesota connection in this area must improve.

4.) We are going to miss not having Jackie Vargas this season. Our interior defense was terrible and we were horribly outrebounded.

5.)Jamie Behar did not make an appearance. I'm not sure if she was unavailable.

6.) I expect Clougherty and Hottinger to have break-out seasons this year with the increased minutes. Both were big time players in HS.

RichH

Re: Lehigh-Lafayette

Post by RichH » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:56 pm

A disjointed 1st half. Team played much better in the 2nd.
Steele impressed me. A dynamo.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:17 pm

Up by 10 at the end of Q3
TMH

Post by TMH » Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:03 pm

Lehigh athletics is now 3-0 with a rather convincing win over Lafayette agin, who by the way was picked to finish 3rd this year.

Mary Claugherty, who doesn't start, is goind to be the kind of force I had expected over the last few years. Her confidence level appears to be sky high. M. Kramer has shaken off the rust and I expect her to be a big contributor going forward.

Some Observations:

I can't remember saying this ever but Lehigh had 21 assists and only 5 TOs.

After being horribly out-rebounded in Game 1, Lehigh was leading the rebounding battle today until the last few moments, mostly by committee. Notably, they had 12 offensive boards

Lehigh will probably go as far as their outside shooting takes them IMO but I feel much better about those prospects this year.
RichH

Post by RichH » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:44 pm

A very good game. We have more depth than I thought. Backcourtvis very good and deep. Nice to get the sweep but we need to get better.
van

Post by van » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:59 am

agree with the disjointed, but love the effort, this is a scrappy team and look forward to see the growth over the season