Bucknell

We ain't rebuilding anymore. But we need a little more to take the next step.
RichH

Bucknell

Post by RichH » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:55 pm

Bucknell 56-45

Outplayed in the 1st half. 12 pts for us. We couldnt buy baskets. Emma shot but couldnt hit. Team really needs a healthy Franny back.

TMH

Re: Bucknell

Post by TMH » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:58 pm

Just returned from the game. It was even uglier in person.

For my review, see the game against Army and double it. I like Sue. I admire her ability to recruit and the girls that play for her are eventually set for the real world. But from and Xs and Os standpoint, there is a lot of work to be done. We typically don't change mid-season.

Frannie is in a boot, so it may be awhile.
Bucknell, in the time that I watched played looked to be playing a match up zone. I love that defense. It is the great equalizer in my opinion.
Lehigh is not very athletic under the basket and Bucknell took full advantage. I was not impressed with their talent but they made the most of what they had inside. Bucknell scored on a lot of layups that were not that contested.

Again we need to set picks, so that our shooters have enough time to square their shoulders

On to the next game.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:31 pm

TMH wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:58 pm
Bucknell, in the time that I watched played looked to be playing a match up zone. I love that defense. It is the great equalizer in my opinion.

Actually not a match-up zone - at least in the 90% I watched. Woodruff hates zone and virtually never plays one. I think what you were seeing, which can make it look like a zone, is that Bucknell normally switches one through four (i.e. all of the guards and small forwards) whenever a serious screen is set by the opponent. So if an LU player comes around a pick being set by someone other than the center, the Bucknell defenders would automatically switch, as long as the pick was one where it wasn't easy to go through it. But if you watch replays, you will also see that all of the defenders follow their men to all parts of the court, left and right - and from the paint all the way out to beyond the arc. That is something that wouldn't happen in a match-up. But because of the way they automatically switch, there are hundreds of switches during a game.
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:37 pm

Bison_137 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:31 pm
TMH wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:58 pm

Actually not a match-up zone - at least in the 90% I watched. Woodruff hates zone and virtually never plays one. I think what you were seeing, which can make it look like a zone, is that Bucknell normally switches one through four (i.e. all of the guards and small forwards) whenever a serious screen is set by the opponent. So if an LU player comes around a pick being set by someone other than the center, the Bucknell defenders would automatically switch, as long as the pick was one where it wasn't easy to go through it. But if you watch replays, you will also see that all of the defenders follow their men to all parts of the court, left and right - and from the paint all the way out to beyond the arc. That is something that wouldn't happen in a match-up. But because of the way they automatically switch, there are hundreds of switches during a game.
I saw it differently. My seats were at the Bucknell defensive end in the first half. I didn't follow it the entire game. Personally, I was praying that we would set up a serious screen but I didn't see any. It looked initially at least like a 2-3 zone which created some mismatches when Grothaus played near the top of the key, which she shouldn't IMO but does. Bucknell's defenders never seemed to follow the girl in her zone but they did pop out quickly when the Lehigh guards got the ball. But again, I mostly watched it on and off in the 1st half.