Sue Troyan

We ain't rebuilding anymore. But we need a little more to take the next step.
RichH

Sue Troyan

Post by RichH » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:25 am

Saw this AM she is retiring. Transitioning over to an admin role. Wish her the very best. A phenomenal coaching career

Lu15

Re: Sue Troyan

Post by Lu15 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:47 am

No doubt. Don't forget that in addition to her amazing run coaching the bball team, she saved the softball program in the 80s, a team Fran subsequently took over.
TMH

Post by TMH » Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:21 am

I'm feeling old because I remember the softball saga vividly. One moment, the Board of Trustees was about to vote on eliminating the program and the next, Sue lures Mere Wall to Lehigh and the entire trajectory changed.

To the best of my knowledge, track was Sue's passion. She had little or no background in either basketball or softball. Sue/Fran and Lehigh has been a perfect marriage.

Whether we like it or not, athletics exist at Lehigh in order to bring the best and brightest student-athletes to our campus. Sue excelled at this by creating a true family atmosphere where each and every player was nurtured to be the best version of themselves and ready to tackle the real world when they leave.

In addition to always being competitive in the Patriot League, they were always among the top teams academically in the country. Virtually no one has ever left the program except to graduate early.

I wish her the best of luck at her new role at Lehigh.

I had the fortune of meeting Addie Micir a couple of times. She is an excellent choice to replace Sue. She will provide the continuity to keep this talented squad together and the passion and court knowledge to take Lehigh to new heights.
Bison_137

Post by Bison_137 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:55 pm

I think this is bound to be an upgrade for Lehigh women’s basketball, at least in terms of the actual coaching. It remains to be seen whether the recruiting will remain at the high-level it has enjoyed.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:46 pm

It is my sense that Sue is being positioned to be Sterrett's successor in a couple years. A move that I think would be excellent.
LU808

Post by LU808 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:48 pm

How about starting immediatley with a FB coaching hire.
Lu15

Post by Lu15 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:35 pm

Doubt she'll be his successor because I'd imagine they will look externally, as Lehigh almost always does for these types of positions. The endowed deanship really can be attractive to lots of candidates. The #2 position became available when Bill Griffin retired, and she transited for the same reason Labinus did for women's soccer, to give these young coaches a chance to prove themselves to the new AD.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:01 pm

Lu15 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:35 pm Doubt she'll be his successor because I'd imagine they will look externally, as Lehigh almost always does for these types of positions. The endowed deanship really can be attractive to lots of candidates. The #2 position became available when Bill Griffin retired, and she transited for the same reason Labinus did for women's soccer, to give these young coaches a chance to prove themselves to the new AD.
I would assume a Dean of Athletics would need to be PhD or EdD. (Maybe a Dr of law, less likely some thing Like MD but ...)

Note 3 of the last 4 ADs came from within. Leconby and Whitehead from HEad Football coach and Sterrett former player and assistant coach. And of course the fourth was unfortunate. I was the central Penn Alum club Pres when Gibney was invited to out pre Laf Dinner. He seemed like a real good guy, So Sad.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:28 pm

One certainly does not need a Ph.D to be an athletic director. Management skills and people skills are more important. Troyan might have a masters or could be working on an advanced degree if that is now deemed a prerequisite. I had forgotten all bout Gibney. I had to go back and check the archives.
Go Lehigh TU Owl

Post by Go Lehigh TU Owl » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:02 am

ngineer wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:28 pm One certainly does not need a Ph.D to be an athletic director. Management skills and people skills are more important. Troyan might have a masters or could be working on an advanced degree if that is now deemed a prerequisite. I had forgotten all bout Gibney. I had to go back and check the archives.
Having an Ed.D or Ph.D. would allow the AD more credibility/value when key institutional decisions are being made by individuals with a well-versed research background. At an institution like Lehigh I could see the desire for "peer attainment" among the top administrators regardless of the department they are responsible for.

My question is, if an Ed.D./Ph.D. is a prerequisite for the position, what type of research are they interested in?