Gable Stevenson

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Spladle1989

Gable Stevenson

Post by Spladle1989 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:23 am

So he's back, re-enrolled at Minnesota and says he hopes to wrestle first and second semester......according to Willie Saylor, and yesterday wasn't April Fool's Day as far as I know......

How the heck does one enroll in November to start classes and be eligible to wrestle first semester?

Oracle

Re: Gable Stevenson

Post by Oracle » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:31 am

Special rules for an Olympic Gold Medalist?
mookie

Post by mookie » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:32 am

He never passed the WWE physical. He has a congenital heart condition that caused him to have an ablation. But obviously, everyone will be wrestling for second place if he's cleared to wrestle.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:33 am

After doing some more research it appears he was already "enrolled" since start of semester, just hadn't been wrestling......which sounds.......suspect lol
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:17 am

Dates, descriptions, and categories
Date Description Category
Tue, Sep 5, 2023 Start of fall full semester and first 7-week sessions Term start/end
Tue, Oct 24, 2023 Start of fall second 7-week session Term start/end
Wed, Dec 13, 2023 Last day of instruction Term start/end
Thu, Dec 21, 2023 End of fall semester Term start/end
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:59 am

He's an OLYMPIC CHAMP forever, and I applaud that,.. but getting tired of all the drama! :roll:
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:11 am

Gable Steveson is no different than any other young superstar. He's been told since grade school how special he was. It's amazing he's as well-adjusted as he turned out to be.

IMO, and oh by the way, anyone who puts their shoes on the mat when they walk away from any sport is 'affected.'

As is anyone who goes wild when they win a title while their defeated opponent is standing there waiting to shake hands. Celebrate in the tunnel.
Toast

Post by Toast » Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:16 am

Steveson is currently doing house shows (non-televised) for WWE’s NXT promotion in what looks like VFWs. Not sure why he went to the trouble of making the world team and then bailing on the worlds. Wouldn’t appear to be health related.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:56 am

Oracle wrote in part,

"As is anyone who goes wild when they win a title while their defeated opponent is standing there waiting to shake hands. Celebrate in the tunnel."

Thanks for this, Oracle. Glad to see that somebody agrees with me on the issue. I continue to be mystified by the general acceptance - even promotion - of the self congratulatory scream, biceps flex, chest pound or what have you. It's gotten so bad that one sees it after routine wins.

Those rituals are particularly out of place when indulged in by kids. If I were a parent to a young wrestler, you can bet he'd get an earful the first time he engaged in any of that. I'd also take a hard line on it if I were a coach for a school - although I'd probably be overruled for violating the life guidance that came out of the 60's that if something makes you feel good, then by all means do it!

Fortunately, you don't see too much of it in high level international competitions. By then, I guess, most wrestlers have grown up sufficiently and behave as Machiavelli prescribed for the ideal ruler way back in the Renaissance, namely, be modest in victory by acting casually.

I've written letters to editors in the past in which I expressed my displeasure with the practice only to receive responses from people who basically called me a stick in the mud. And one sees no shortage of photographs and video clips in the media of athletes celebrating an important win so, presumably, it's something the public at large enjoys.

But you can count me out. Maybe I'm missing something.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:35 am

People who advocate these celebrations say it’s just positive emotion and perhaps brand building. I say it’s unsportsmanlike….especially in a Mano a Mano battle.