LEHIGH @ PENN STATE

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
martinsilvestri

Re: LEHIGH @ PENN STATE

Post by martinsilvestri » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:38 pm

LUEngineer wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:30 pm Martin-you clearly are not a Lehigh wrestling fan unless your comment was intended tongue-in Cheek!!
:lol: it was absolutely tongue in cheek... see my (hypothetical) attribution of the comment to LU administration at the end! i'm sure it's not really that bad, just maybe a little sarcastic venting there :D

Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:41 pm

The 11 non Ivies had a qualifier at each weight last year. The Ivies did not have any qualifiers at 184.

So, last year separation might have added 1 qualifier for the total 17

Go back to whenever the present qualification procedure began, and count the number of times either half of the conference had no qualifier at a weight. That is the max additional qualifiers the 16-17 schools teams would have received had their been a split
Toast

Post by Toast » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:58 am

Hopefully the coaching staff doesn’t have Crookham go under Nagao.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:19 am

Toast wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:58 am Hopefully the coaching staff doesn’t have Crookham go under Nagao.
Espo took down against Jantzen. Depends on the situation. Dave used to say he had to do it to get a feel for it. Some guys shouldn't because they never will.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 8:43 am

Agree with what Gimp is saying, realize that is out there but I don’t buy the take “down position” to work on it in the regular season arguement…..odds are this is the only time Crookham sees Nagao during the regular season, if your advantage is perceived to be neutral or top wrestling and a loss could come from not getting out on bottom or getting turned why risk it?

Work on your bottom game against all the other guys that aren’t hammers on top and ranked in the top 5 that could end up beng seeded ahead of you…..
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:07 am

gimpeltf wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:50 pm
Asa Packer wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:46 pm Wait! What? It's definite the Ivys are leaving EIWAs?
Sounds fairly definite. There are still one or two administrative groups that have to approve but it sounds like they will.
Did not realize this was quite so imminent. We need to find a new league.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:49 am

MountainHawk—So do you second my nomination to petition the ACC for inclusion for wrestling?

I think they may already have some non ACC schools to boost their number of teams—not sure about that & would welcome feedback from gimp.
FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:18 am

>>>>>>>ACC only wrestling programs are full conference members ——-UNC, NCSt, UVa, VaTech, Pitt, Duke. Stanford will join next year.

I doubt the ACC would be receptive as they do not need add’l teams for their tourney to meet NCAA qualifier status.

In addition, the ACC will implode when their ESPN grant-of-rights deal expires next decade ( if not sooner) and the top football programs seek to join the B1G and SEC.

Best bet, imo, is for Lehigh and the other long term EIWA schools to work on rebuilding the EIWA. We survived the loss of psu and Pitt, we’ll survive the Ivy’s leaving.
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:20 am

LUEngineer wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 10:49 am MountainHawk—So do you second my nomination to petition the ACC for inclusion for wrestling?

I think they may already have some non ACC schools to boost their number of teams—not sure about that & would welcome feedback from gimp.
I’m more like let’s grab Bucknell and appeal to the Ivies to add us for wrestling only to make an 8 team league
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:41 am

ACC does not accept associate members.

B1G has one athletic Associate member Johns Hopkins for M+F La Crosse.

The two neighboring leagues that do accept associates are Mac + Southern. Would joining one of them help?

Better we would invite Rider and the four PSAC teams into the EIWA-11. Obviously a downgrade Academically, It is possible that Bloom + LHU (along with Mansfield, the Commonwealth University Penna) could join and the others(part of Penna Western U) could stay with MAC. Geographical Sense. (If we wandet 16, Morgan State and maybe George Mason.