Columbia Head Coach Opening

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Justafan

Re: Columbia Head Coach Opening

Post by Justafan » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:40 pm

Just thinking about Chris and the Princeton program.

Have they really been successful? They have a huge advantage in mystique. Reportedly, 100% of the demonstrated financial need of every student is met by grants. 83% of recent seniors graduated with no debt. I'm certain that athletes are not required to meet the same rigorous academic standards as other applicants.

In spite of all that, Princeton has gone 93-168 in Chris's 16 years and has never finished higher than 3rd in the EIWA.
He has however managed to recruit 3 very blue chip recruits in Kolodzik, Glory, and Monday who provided the vast bulk of All-American in his tenure there.

Don't get me wrong. Chris is a great guy and was a fine wrestler at Lehigh. It just appears that it takes more than just some systemic changes to compete in today's environment.

Just my opinion

whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:54 pm

Oracle wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:31 pm Really? When you get to that level of excellence, it can hardly be regarded as a step down.

The way I always heard it was Stanford out west, Notre Dame in the middle and Harvard back east.
Had no idea N.D. was so selective. But without looking it up, I would have guessed U of Chicago for the middle. And, indeed, they're way up there.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:57 pm

Some validity to what you are saying, but most would say Chris did a great job. Beat Cornell in a dual snapping an obscenely long Ivy streak. Beat Lehigh a few times. In the end, he *did* recruit Kolodzik, Glory and Monday (among others like AA Brucki) so you can't just discount that.
bkcbrau

Post by bkcbrau » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:34 pm

whiz wit wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:54 pm
Oracle wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:31 pm Really? When you get to that level of excellence, it can hardly be regarded as a step down.

The way I always heard it was Stanford out west, Notre Dame in the middle and Harvard back east.
Had no idea N.D. was so selective. But without looking it up, I would have guessed U of Chicago for the middle. And, indeed, they're way up there.
Just recently, my friend's daughter was accepted at Notre Dame, but rejected at Princeton and Duke.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:32 pm

Harvard, Princeton, different time received some kind of number 1 ranking. MIT and Yale, also. Never have I seen Stanford ranked #1. Cal Tech? One or two of the Claremonts, although not as a whole.

Notre Dame? Chicago, Case-Western, Washington (of St Louis)

Although Notre Dame and USC are really good examples of colleges using high profile athletic success to greatly up their academic profiles
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:13 am

Today Tyler Berger announced his retirement from wrestling and will focus on transitioning to MMA. No word yet on whether this means he is stepping down from his assistant coach role at Penn or not.
ngineer

Post by ngineer » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:53 pm

whiz wit wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:54 pm

My thoughts exactly. Chicago has very elite academic reputation. ND is excellent, but not elite.
martinsilvestri

Post by martinsilvestri » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:52 am

Meh. Elite academic institution Columbia has had one of its academic buildings taken over by the Palestine protestors today. There's your elite professional network youre paying 100k annually to access - squatters and student debt occupiers.

I think the landscape is changing with all of this stuff. Obviously these schools will remain prestigious for the foreseeable future but the return on investment will continue to decrease, and more top students/athletes will opt for different routes.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:51 am

Way past time to break out the tear gas at Columbia.
LUEngineer

Post by LUEngineer » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:55 am

Agree with the tear gas comment.

All of those kids should be expelled & they can finish their degrees elsewhere if the Board of Trustees had their heads on straight.