Coleman Scott

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
1/2NELSON

Re: Coleman Scott

Post by 1/2NELSON » Tue May 21, 2024 2:34 pm

mookie wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:37 pm Andrew Alirez is staying put.
ANDREW ALIREZ is in the marketplace shopping I surmise! :roll:

FloridaGuy

Post by FloridaGuy » Tue May 21, 2024 2:44 pm

>>>>Agree 100% that LVWC is a support mechanism.

Also agree 100% that the recruiting fundamental is still high quality hs recruits. Next would be high quality transfers with multiple remaining eligibility years. A plug-and-play grad transfer can be valuable—— but only for a short term need.

Lastly, retaining your top talent is another critical recruiting focus in the new transfer portal era.

Lehigh had made real strides over the last 2 years, but we still have plenty of room for improvement.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Tue May 21, 2024 3:46 pm

Mookie becoming our resident DEEP-THROAT for accurate inside scopes!

Nice package, and promises to keep,.. for BEARS returning 2023 NCAA Champ. :roll:

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/1 ... n-colorado
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Tue May 21, 2024 4:24 pm

Just a side note on Alirez and Northern Colorado U.

Northern Colorado offers 9 separate post graduate degrees in Sports and Exercise Science and an online Masters Degree in Sports Coaching.

That is the definition of a good fit. Lehigh was never going to be in this discussion.
HFO

Post by HFO » Wed May 22, 2024 6:31 am

Justafan wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:24 pm Just a side note on Alirez and Northern Colorado U.

Northern Colorado offers 9 separate post graduate degrees in Sports and Exercise Science and an online Masters Degree in Sports Coaching.

That is the definition of a good fit. Lehigh was never going to be in this discussion.
Could have had a go at M.Ed in Educational Leadership, then if he went high school coaching route, he would be on path for Assistant Principal, Principal. There is MBA which does not require any specific major as an undergrad.

Lehigh is content being in the 15th 25th ranked area. It is well apparent. Once again, no serious attempt at landing graduate All Americans and the preponderance went to Michigan, Oklahoma State of the best talent.
Justafan

Post by Justafan » Wed May 22, 2024 9:13 am

I believe Lehigh's MBA program requires 2 years of work experience now. I could be wrong.

On a side note: I fondly remember Thad telling me a list of wrestlers who were begging to come to Lehigh but there was no way he could get them in. I know there was one future national champion and a multiple time NCAA finalist on that list among others I can't remember.

That was in my undergrad days and notably two future national champions were suspended for academic reasons. If anything academic restrictions have gotten easier but it needs to be a good fit. Alirez did not fit in that category IMO.
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Wed May 22, 2024 10:21 am

Justafan wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:13 am I believe Lehigh's MBA program requires 2 years of work experience now. I could be wrong.

On a side note: I fondly remember Thad telling me a list of wrestlers who were begging to come to Lehigh but there was no way he could get them in. I know there was one future national champion and a multiple time NCAA finalist on that list among others I can't remember.

That was in my undergrad days and notably two future national champions were suspended for academic reasons. If anything academic restrictions have gotten easier but it needs to be a good fit. Alirez did not fit in that category IMO.
Interesting reminiscent, and would love to know the WRESTLERS your referencing if at liberty to disclose. :o
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Wed May 22, 2024 10:23 am

Hard for anyone to know Alirez's academic record, or what kind of a student he is. In fact, all this talk about academics is fascinating. Safe to say *everyone* has dumped those restrictions overboard long ago in *every* sport.

Does anyone believe every football player at Notre Dame is as academically qualified as the average admit? That goes for other top rated schools like Stanford, Michigan, UNC, et al. These elite athletes are admitted because they can put a round ball in a hoop better than anyone else. If they project the minimum requirements, they're in. Basically, can they fog a mirror?

The consistent and persistent talk about the academics of the EIWA is another example of, IMO, misplaced logic. Who cares? Morgan State is going to join the EIWA. I'm all for it. Deal with it. I couldn't care less about the academic ranking of EIWA member schools. If anyone thinks it's tough at Lehigh, consider what a wrestler has to do at Army and Navy. Those young men are special.

The Ivies bend admissions for athletes, but balance it with no RS and out in 4 years. Once into an Ivy, it's almost impossible to fail out. Oh, and don't forget unlimited financial aid if qualified. 9.9 is for suckers.

"The right fit" "Lehigh is not for everyone" "etc, etc" --- read like excuses for missed recruiting opportunities.
This forum is split into 2 camps: 1- Lehigh offers academic and future carer opportunities and is thus worthy of consideration regardless of what the offer is and 2- If Lehigh wants to return to national prominence, not average, then meet the market challenge and stop making excuses.

If, woulda, coulda, shoulda -- all ineffective. Let's go! -- effective. So with all due respect to every well intending LU fan: hope is not a strategy.

IMO, Pat Santoro knows all this and is doing everything he can. Eventually the question will be is it enough?
1/2NELSON

Post by 1/2NELSON » Wed May 22, 2024 12:59 pm

Oracle says HOPE is not a strategy! No argument here..

Preferable would be GEORGE PATTON's admonishment .. LET'S GO FUCK-UP THEM NAZIS! :lol:

BTW, as much as we admire Pat's WRESTLING acumen we cannot absolve him from some of the program's short-comings, as RECRUITING falls under the umbrella of his numerous job responsibilities. However ONE cannot offer what ONE does not have! :cry:

Thus I do nelieve the RIGHT-FIT is a-pro-pos whan it comes to a prospective recruit surveying the collegiate landscape of opportunity. :roll:
mookie

Post by mookie » Wed May 22, 2024 1:11 pm

Some old/new blood coming to Navy. Barry Davis is the new assistant coach for Kolat.