North Carolina Dual

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
Mountain Hawk

Re: North Carolina Dual

Post by Mountain Hawk » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:46 pm

What’s LIU doing next weekend?

Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:54 am

Drexel and Hofstra both are competing again. But I don't see perfect weekend availability, Drexel obviously is close enough for weeknights, Maybe Hofstra also
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:15 am

Frenchie wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:42 am I agree that the lack of info on Ruth is very annoying. Don't think anyone is giving away a secret were they to say that he is physically unable to compete. Has he been practicing? In school?
NCAA rules require the staff to protect the privacy of student-athletes. Anyone who hears the real story from someone on the staff and makes the news public will lose the staff as a source of information, not to mention that the source may get in hot water. Not to mention that we usually hire staff members who believe in common decency. What's so hard to understand?

Any answer will prompt another question. Suppose a wrestler is physically able to compete, but isn't, and we hear that. Then the questions about why a healthy wrestler isn't competing will start all over.

Anyone who hasn't cert'd and competed by now isn't going to show this season. Period. And it's probably not because a pet hamster is ill.
gimpeltf

Post by gimpeltf » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:35 am

Richb-3 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:54 am Drexel and Hofstra both are competing again. But I don't see perfect weekend availability, Drexel obviously is close enough for weeknights, Maybe Hofstra also
Lehigh basically allowing only weekend matches. Not a hard and fast rule but not likely to bend for a dual. Rider preferred Fri and was turned down.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:04 pm

gimpeltf wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:35 am
Richb-3 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:54 am Drexel and Hofstra both are competing again. But I don't see perfect weekend availability, Drexel obviously is close enough for weeknights, Maybe Hofstra also
Lehigh basically allowing only weekend matches. Not a hard and fast rule but not likely to bend for a dual. Rider preferred Fri and was turned down.
Women's BBall did a Saturday Monday Both hosting at Stabler. Monday was January 11, so before classes. No Idea of the logic involved,
Mountain Hawk

Post by Mountain Hawk » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:21 pm

this is all great and all but really only interested in an LIU rematch.
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:06 pm

UNC's team was chiseled by comparison.....Army's as well.....both had a physical advantage at most weights. The lack of consistent practice time was evident. Have not seen a Lehigh team sucking air in more than 25 years. This year, as DRD says, is WEIRD. The guys fight well, but are out-horsed for the most part, which isn't unusual for true freshmen or 1st year wrestlers.

If the year doesn't count, then maybe the Ivies got this right. Going at it half-a$$ed doesn't appear to be working very well.

There was one thing I noticed on SEN coverage: a Lehigh wrestler lost and is bee-boppin in his chair to music. That's a bad look. Reminds me of the scene where Brad Pitt erupts in the locker room after an A's loss in Moneyball: "that's what losing sounds like (quiet)"
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:39 pm

Flu?
Academics?
Injury?
Disciplinary?
Family crisis?
Personal issue?
Covid?
2-3 other possible reasons?

You guys keep asking -- and you pray someone will leak it -- but schools are not interested in providing such information -- and they are also bound by HIPAA laws to disclose no personal info. It's not simple but that's how it is.

Hell, I just opened an email from my buddy who joins me for Easterns every year - and he asked if all schools are canceling it or is it just Lehigh?

I was right by labeling this "A Weird Year" in LUWrestlingNews. Weirdest ever.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:27 pm

In his interview on Saturday Pat mentioned getting back several guys who had been quarantining at home for 14 days. He didn't name names and didn't say who, if any, actually tested positive, but that was 14 days those guys weren't practicing. I can connect the dots without needing confidential information. Wrestlers who competed against Navy on 1/16 and not again until this weekend were Lane, Abe, Lobeck, McGonagle, Hoffman, Burkhart, Meyer, Logan, and Eli Jones (who, btw, deserves some kudos for a big upset against Ben Sullivan in the AWP extras on Saturday).

Were all those guys quarantined? No idea, but they didn't compete during the period that a quarantine would have been enforced. Anyone quarantined wasn't practicing at a time when his opponents probably were. So there's a strong probability that some of those had only practiced for a few days since Navy (and may not have had their coaches available in those practices).

BTW, how come nobody has mentioned that Rider had two weeks to get ready for us, while we had 18 hours to get ready for them after two big duals the day before?
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:30 pm

Oracle wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:06 pm
If the year doesn't count, then maybe the Ivies got this right. Going at it half-a$$ed doesn't appear to be working very well.
I can think of a couple of Ivy coaches who wouldn't agree.