Transfer Tracker

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

Re: Transfer Tracker

Post by mookie » Tue May 18, 2021 11:22 am

Stats for Todd DeGroat?

Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Tue May 18, 2021 11:37 am

The only thing I really remember about DeGroat was him getting pinned in 34 seconds by Sammy DePrez (Binghamton) in NYS semi-finals in 2019. Ended up falling to fifth place that year in consolations.

He was wrestling 285 this year for Vestal according to their roster, but NYS really didn't have much of a season.
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue May 18, 2021 12:22 pm

Thank you.

Back in March, I said that Lehigh recruited a HWT from NY who wrestled 180# the year before and no one knew the name. Now we do. :-)

https://www.vestal.stier.org/protected/ ... 20&dasi=1B
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue May 18, 2021 12:24 pm

92-22 career, 65 falls: http://www.cnywrestling.com/iv/results/ ... ?id=404932

The quick fall against Sam DePrez came in his sophomore year, Sam's senior year. He injured a knee in a football game in his junior year; has not wrestled since: https://www.stargazette.com/story/sport ... 224723001/
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue May 18, 2021 12:59 pm

I checked the NHSCA sophomore championship for 2019. DeGroat pinned Xavier Doolin in :23 in the finals.
Doolin went on to only lose 1 bout in his last 2 years (injury default in the Missouri State finals in his junior year). He won states in his senior year with a TF in the finals.

I have no idea how wrestling ready DeGroat is but he is athletic. I suggest tampering expectations though in the short run. Just my opinion.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Tue May 18, 2021 3:28 pm

TMH wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:59 pm I suggest tampering expectations though in the short run.
Good idea for anyone who missed two seasons, or suffered a major knee injury. This kid did both.

Xavier Doolin is #88 on Intermat's recruiting list. Headed to Northern Colorado.
Richb-3

Post by Richb-3 » Tue May 18, 2021 7:21 pm

Garcia may uwve been the best football player in the country who was the 2nd bedt on hid HS team. Edpecially duch a small public school.

I always thought if he wanted to do both Football and wrestling, Lehigh was a better way to go than Mivhigan
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue May 18, 2021 9:43 pm

Richb-3 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:21 pm Garcia may uwve been the best football player in the country who was the 2nd bedt on hid HS team. Edpecially duch a small public school.

I always thought if he wanted to do both Football and wrestling, Lehigh was a better way to go than Mivhigan
This potential transfer is the most intriguing one yet for me. I think this transfer has been several months in the making even though it was officially put on the portal recently. He is an incredibly talented football player and wrestler and I have no idea what school or sport he will end up in but glancing at his twitter account he somewhat recently re-tweeted his football offers from 5 schools including Lehigh (Army, Navy, Harvard and Kent St. being the others). Long time assistant coach Kent Lane Sr was recently moved up to head coach at Southern Columbia, a wrestling program that has recently sent us both Kent Jr and Jaret Lane plus Edmonson next year.

Lehigh is well situated for him in terms of weight class, geographically , academically and athletically.

I hope he reads this :-)
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Tue May 18, 2021 11:17 pm

Was kinda disappointed to note so many fans on May 18 not offering info from their 5-15 LUWN Recruiting Special. Every stat humanly findable in there (ok, most, not every). I got excited noting the soph NHSCA title at 195 (about odds of going 197); when I found and published his LU commit pic, not so excited - at least not as much as seeing Casale go 202.4, after Pat felt he'd be hwt only.

I commend mountain hawk (are there 2 of them?) on this ditty below from March, at least in principle:

>>>Let's not get too into this mercenary 1y grad students taking the spot of a guy we worked hard to recruit as a 3-4y starter because its a tiny upgrade for one season. Hurts recruiting long term. Its hard enough with no stipend money and tuition/room/board at 3-5x many other programs.>>

*** Transfers are the schticks of wrestler & coaches; hearing fans salivate w/out any evidence is, well, a bit drippy;
*** Dan Hyman was a highly valued 1-yr transfer, surprise EIWA 1st, added a pt to our '02 NCAA pts and is now 1 of the nation's top guns in mortgage equities, pass-throughs whatever you call his hi-tech financial deals
*** Marshall Peppleman a solid starter all grad yr
*** If you salivate early, you can die of dehydration since transferring "isn't over 'til it's over" and they're registered for classes. I recall attending a team picnic one mid-Aug. when Matt Goldstein (EIWA 1,2) didn't get all the paper work done until the wk school started. Penn's Mike "No Joust" Faust broke our hearts w/his Apr/May commit then switched to VaTech in June.

Gimp taught me everything I needed to know: transfers don't sign any commitments; they just show up (or don't) at the end. Can be nerve tracking, saliva or not. But mt hawk might be overstating the damage to recruiting, at least the way Lehigh handles them -- a need's a need and the roster knows it; they like seeing the team improve
Do I agree with what PSU just did to Mike Beard? Not really but they've overrecruited before, like Capt Kerk replacing Nevills. Singletary at Ohio St? Pressure on coaches to win is enormous - and with all our fan pressure at Lehigh, it's a little disengenuous to block talent. From my seat, hot sometimes, fans are asking why we haven't brought more transfers than we do. For one thing, Lehigh makes it above avg difficult for transfers to qualify.
TMH

Post by TMH » Tue May 18, 2021 11:41 pm

Wait. There was a 5-15 LUWN Recruiting Edition?

I wish I were as excited as you about Casale making it to 202 for the Cadet World Trials. He lists himself at 230# for football so he already dropped 28 lbs. He will need to drop another 5. He is still a teenager (17?) who will be lifting and growing over the next 2 years before he even steps on a mat at Grace Hall. Still seems like a tall order but the beauty about the future is that no one is certain what can happen.