Recruiting isn't over until it's over

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
jdalu75

Re: Recruiting isn't over until it's over

Post by jdalu75 » Sat May 01, 2021 3:32 pm

The term "stockpiling" has a definite negative connotation, brings to mind Harold Nichols packing ISU's room with guys who could start elsewhere; or Paul Diekel's complaint that Oklahoma recruited him so he could be a workout partner. It's not as bad as accusing someone of being a racist or a Nazi, but should probably be used sparingly.

I think it's safe to say that wrestlers accepted by Cornell would be accepted by almost all other Div I schools, so they have options. And the NCAA makes it much easier to transfer these days than in past years, so a guy doesn't need to sit out a year or burn a year of eligibility along the way. I mainly question the reasoning of a high school kid (and his family) who'll commit when a program already has an entrenched starter with a couple of years remaining and a guy or two behind him. Maybe the kid will get to be a starter someday; more likely he'll be a top-notch sub with a string of Open titles to his credit.

whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sat May 01, 2021 4:36 pm

Without crunching the numbers, my recollection is that while Cornell has recruited well in recent times, the quality of their recruiting has been elevated to a different level the last few years and continues. And this coinciding with a period when LU twice topped them at the EIWA's with both having full troops, another time when Cornell was missing Olympic redshirts, and last season when they didn't wrestle. Sure, Cornell did better in the Nationals, but not that great. No team trophy. Hasn't it been quite a few years since they''ve had a National Champion? Is it the Kyle Dake Great International Wrestler and Cornell Coach Effect? Would that make such a difference? If not, then what? What's changed?
mh1

Post by mh1 » Sat May 01, 2021 4:50 pm

Not sure I get the stockpiling take. I am assuming it started thinking about Peyton Craft who had committed to Princeton. It would seem he has time to wait at Cornell and may have started at Princeton? His decision to wait to wrestle and if the number one guy at Cornell beats him, then he would have beat him at Princeton, Brown, etc. Unless there are concerns about Darmstadt at Cornell. Any way getting top flight talent that improves the room is a good thing no?
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sat May 01, 2021 4:51 pm

Yianni?
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sat May 01, 2021 4:58 pm

jdalu75 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:32 pm more likely he'll be a top-notch sub with a string of Open titles to his credit.
And a Cornell diploma. Wrestling is the means to an end for many of these kids.
NothingMeaningful

Post by NothingMeaningful » Sat May 01, 2021 5:01 pm

whiz wit wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:36 pm Hasn't it been quite a few years since they''ve had a National Champion?
I seem to recall some kid named Yianni the last two years Cornell was at the NCAAs.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Sat May 01, 2021 5:10 pm

NothingMeaningful wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:01 pm
whiz wit wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:36 pm Hasn't it been quite a few years since they''ve had a National Champion?
I seem to recall some kid named Yianni the last two years Cornell was at the NCAAs.
Duuuh. But somehow I doubt that things changed so much just on account of Yanni. Cornell's had many National Champions in recent years and I don't remember their recruiting being elevated so much. A combination of Yanni and Dake? I guess I wouldn't rule it out.
jdalu75

Post by jdalu75 » Sat May 01, 2021 7:11 pm

NothingMeaningful wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:58 pm
jdalu75 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:32 pm more likely he'll be a top-notch sub with a string of Open titles to his credit.
And a Cornell diploma. Wrestling is the means to an end for many of these kids.
A guy who committed to Princeton to wrestle could claim the same.
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:14 pm

Gabe Dean wasn't exactly a long time ago. And it's not entirely fair to point too many fingers at Cornell when most top programs including Lehigh have a goal of having 2 good guys at as many weights as possible. We can hope Casale's Cadet 202.4 is a good sign for college options but he's been at 220 three years now and had been leaning toward Hwt with Taylor.

125-133 is a horse of a different color (brown?) on overstocking since options to move up 1-2-3 weights are always possible with mutha-natcha (liked that sp). Will I ever get over Malyke telling me in Fall '19: "I'll probably finish up at 165" ... maybe he'd just finished a nice lift regimen in the Complex