U23 Nationals

Talk about the champions, or the Top 25 nationally-ranked team!
mookie

Re: U23 Nationals

Post by mookie » Sun May 30, 2021 10:02 am

LVWC needs a complete overhaul. Right now their wrestlers are cannon fodder.

mh1

Post by mh1 » Sun May 30, 2021 10:05 am

Whiz,

Lane was 2-2. Beat Sean Pierson of Princeton and Mazroy both by tech
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Sun May 30, 2021 10:29 am

Denny I played D1 soccer....and wrestled though your right not at this level but enough to believe my eyes and results... what wre your athletic accomplishments other than being at best a homer rose colored lens journalist?.....I completely stand by what i said..... and I am buffing my arse for you to kiss whenever you feel the need.....
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Sun May 30, 2021 10:46 pm

Last I heard whiz witless is a Cornell fan who is very good at annoying people. Nice touch on ignoring 1 of Lane's wins so you could further trash him. Real nice touch, anonymous tough guy.

You and Spladle should form a club that admires mirror images of themselves. My credentials from 36 yrs of wrestling writing tend to speak for themselves. What I've learned comes from many hundreds of hrs traveling with LU teams since 1975, 2 yrs after Turner & Leeman agreed to tutor me by putting up a cot in their hotel room. I learned the sport by asking countless questions of them and hundreds of wrestlers at Lehigh and other rivals.

Face to face, not behind their backs
TMH

Post by TMH » Mon May 31, 2021 12:15 am

Spladle1989 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:34 pm I wouldn’t say Lane’s style of wrestling translates well to freestyle....but like that he’s there wrestling and trying to get better...
I know that this is the quote that began the "spirited debating" But as a complete novice I don't find it insulting or incorrect so help me out...

There should be no debate that Lane's body size is long and lean. It seems to me that comes with advantages and disadvantages. The advantages though are primarily on the mat where he uses those long legs to wrap his opponent up and even pin a lot from weird positions. That style translate well to folkstyle but not so much for freestyle.
Conversely the disadvantage is that those long legs provide an inviting target for the shorter, speedier wrestlers with a lower center of gravity. That is an even larger disadvantage in freestyle where wrestling on your feet is stressed more.

But like Spladle indicated, kudos for using freestyle to sharpen your takedown skills. It's not always about the results in these off-season tournaments. Some times it's simply part of the process.

As always, it's just my opinion.
whiz wit

Post by whiz wit » Mon May 31, 2021 7:33 am

drd5748 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:46 pm Last I heard whiz witless is a Cornell fan who is very good at annoying people. Nice touch on ignoring 1 of Lane's wins so you could further trash him. Real nice touch, anonymous tough guy.

You and Spladle should form a club that admires mirror images of themselves. My credentials from 36 yrs of wrestling writing tend to speak for themselves. What I've learned comes from many hundreds of hrs traveling with LU teams since 1975, 2 yrs after Turner & Leeman agreed to tutor me by putting up a cot in their hotel room. I learned the sport by asking countless questions of them and hundreds of wrestlers at Lehigh and other rivals.

Face to face, not behind their backs
Who's trashing Lane? He's a very good folk style wrestler. Just saying freestyle doesn't seem to be his cup of tea. Kind of like reasoned debate isn't your cup of tea. But when all else fails, play the anonymous poster card (notwithstanding my having posted my identity numerous times on this site and on the prior wrestling report site; would you like me to post it again?).
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon May 31, 2021 11:35 am

See there is the problem.... no matter what i write, no matter how mild, Denny has some kind of smarmy know it all (though usually not overly correct and definitely long winded) reply....Spladle “ hey look it’s sunny out”.... Denny “if you paid attention you would know there are passing clouds so its not truly sunny out and also in 1968 to say the sun was out you would need at least 10% more sunshine”...

Maybe thats the difference between being an athlete and a writer..... those who could never actually do, write....
drd5748

Post by drd5748 » Mon May 31, 2021 4:22 pm

I was a 3-sport athlete recruited for track by Lehigh and Dartmouth. Not that this has anything to do with commentary here that very often disrespects wrestlers and their overall preparations for the sport.

Jaret Lane has been lean and lanky his entire life and certainly is prepared to wrestle freestyle more than any of us, given his four Cadet National A/A finishes plus two at Jr Nationals; four were Top 2's, two were national titles. I doubt he forgot his freestyle skills while his body remains lanky -- but he obviously didn't wake up last week having realized his body and/or wrestling ability no longer "translates well to freestyle."

If reporting facts about a kid and his past results bothers anyone, or defending him bothers you, then that's your problem, just because you're disappointed in his results. They belong to him, not us. What has always astounded me is how "honest critiques" of wrestlers winds up sounding like finger nails on chalk boards to others; especially to the wrestlers and their coaches and parents ('Im the one who receives their complaints, certainly not you).

But, hey, freedom of speech is wonderful, especially anonymously. ID yourself; not the point; the chalk board is.
It's about the wrestlers, ladies & gents, not about you or me. I'm outta' here. The off-season beckons.
Spladle1989

Post by Spladle1989 » Mon May 31, 2021 4:29 pm

Excellent, enjoy your time off....it has to get old and tiring raising the same self righteous defense....
Oracle

Post by Oracle » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:56 am

Some fans, knowledgeable and otherwise, sometimes make insensitive (not to them) public comments about wrestlers. They believe it's their right to do so. And it is. DRD also has a right to challenge these public comments without being called "rose colored homer" or some such thing. If you have a right to post, then accept the right of others to challenge you. That' doesn't mean using personal attacks to justify your point. When someone does that, they lose their advantage in the debate. IMO.

Here's a question: where's Josh Humphreys? Not reporting injuries is archaic. If someone gets injured, why not just report it? It seems to me the injury would have to be fully recovered for the wrestler to compete so who cares what is was? The way it is now, we are left to speculate if he even intends to return.